SR22 fatal

Sad he brought his kid along, hope at least the kid understood dad didn't have his ticket yet.

Stupidity, and the fact that he had to bring his 16 yr old son along to join his stupidity makes it even worse.

Shameful on the Dads part, taking his son up with him besides himself. Sadly I've seen people do this for years, most owning their plane but no certificates of any kind.

When I was instructing there was a student pilot on the field that owned a plane. He told me that he will fly it whenever he feels like it and take up anyone that wishes to ride with him.

I would not take him as a student.

Such a waste,maybe this is one time the pilot should have used the chute.

When I was instructing there was a student pilot on the field that owned a plane. He told me that he will fly it whenever he feels like it and take up anyone that wishes to ride with him.

Had a couple like that, not with their own plane but almost ordering me to teach them. FU, I don't have to fly with anyone. Got one now that has stood me up twice, once more he'll be history with me lol.

Last edited:
That's the sh*ts. There's a lot to infer from this new info, and it ain't good. :mad:

This makes me so mad!

We take our pax up and they trust us.
They have no way of knowing if we are risk takers, *******s, lazy, complacent, etc

We owe it to our passengers to be the safest pilots we can be when they are willing to let us be in control.

We have a private pilot with that attitude at our field that none of the pilots will ride with, and he can't figure out why. Worst case of the very few I have ever come across of an accident waiting to happen. He's so good at not taking responsibility for his screw ups that the maintenance facility that was taking care of his airplane also told him two weeks ago they would not accept him as a customer any longer.

FAA records are not always up to date.

Let’s withhold righteous indignation until we’re sure of the facts.
There may be some truth to that, if he finally finished his PPL and the computer hadn’t caught up to it.......BUT medicals update in the database almost immediately. This guy didn’t even have a current medical, which makes it highly unlikely he recently passed his checkride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a couple like that, not with their own plane but almost ordering me to teach them. FU, I don't have to fly with anyone. Got one now that has stood me up twice, once more he'll be history with me lol.
Charge him/her an hour for the no show time. Your time is worth it..

Sadly there are a lot more just like him out there. Most of us play by the rules but are also quick to admit that the chances of being caught breaking rules is slim to none...that is until something goes wrong.

As a parent and a pilot, I am livid. The degree of irresponsibility is incomprehensible. It’s wrong to violate the rules and fly, but at least if alone, he would have made a single greasy mess somewhere. But he took his son along... a complete innocent that had a lifetime of living before him. Stupid. Irresponsible. Arrogant. Conceited. And now dead. Jerk.

I hope his son rests in peace.

Crashing is bad - but no indication (yet) that his lack of ticket or medical was a factor. The outcome may have been the same, even with the ink stains aligned properly. Newtonian physics are rarely influenced by gov't documentation.

Charge him/her an hour for the no show time. Your time is worth it..

Seriously. If I were a student (or booked a CFI for a review, or whatever) and couldn't make the scheduled time, and for some reason (I don't know what that would be, but let's just say) I couldn't let you know, I would absolutely expect to pay for the full time in any case. (In fact I'd generally expect to pay it even if I did let you know, if I was cancelling with less than 24 hours notice for some reason unrelated to the flight.)

Crashing is bad - but no indication (yet) that his lack of ticket or medical was a factor. The outcome may have been the same, even with the ink stains aligned properly. Newtonian physics are rarely influenced by gov't documentation.
+1

True. Added that out of interest's sake.
It was a really hot day even at 7pm it was 100F, so DA may have been a factor.
Thin air, pilot expecting better performance has nose too high, then cranks into a turn. Maybe.

FAA records are not always up to date.

Let’s withhold righteous indignation until we’re sure of the facts.

And, one can request that your information be hidden from the search engine.

As a parent and a pilot, I am livid. The degree of irresponsibility is incomprehensible. It’s wrong to violate the rules and fly, but at least if alone, he would have made a single greasy mess somewhere. But he took his son along... a complete innocent that had a lifetime of living before him. Stupid. Irresponsible. Arrogant. Conceited. And now dead. Jerk.

I hope his son rests in peace.

There's nothing to say that this stupid dad would have found another way to kill his kid. It's amazing how much "birth lottery" effects your life outcome. Yes, we've all seen people who have overcome being born to dirtbag parents, but it sure makes the road much harder.

It's really hard to argue against forced sterilization if you've watched the movie Idiocracy.

I guess this is the sort of thing that ramp checks are supposed to help prevent. I’m willing to undergo them if they might catch someone doing what this person supposedly did.

WOW! so much I want to say. Rest in peace and condolences to the Cooper family. No matter the error or circumstance, it still hits home when you hear of another Pilot crashing their plane. ADM is a life project for us all. Safe out there Y'all.

Aside from the obvious fact that he may not have had his PPL, this will be interesting to find out why that airplane fell out of the sky within the traffic pattern. Sounds like a stall in a high DA day in West Texas. Maybe... who knows.

Seems to have some vague similarities to the SR-20 landing phase accident at Houston Hobby in June 2016. In that instance the plane was climbing and banked when control was lost.

I guess this is the sort of thing that ramp checks are supposed to help prevent. I’m willing to undergo them if they might catch someone doing what this person supposedly did.

I've said this here before, when I worked across the south and rented hangars at numerous small fields in GA, AL, & MS, (I always preferred small fields, still do) I got to know quite a few of the locals, would attend the cook-outs, fly-ins, etc.

I was AMAZED at how many of these "pilots" were "illegal" in one form or fashion. Some were taught to fly by their dad or a buddy but had neither a medical or license. Some couldn't get a medical, some just refused to deal with the BS. I don't think I'd be exaggerating if I said about a third were not completely legal. It was definitely 1/4 or more.

It was interesting to say the least. It may be this way everywhere, I don't know, I just got really interested in exploring the issue back then because I moved about every 4 to 8 months to a new small town and had the opportunity to get to know a new group. I became really intrigued by it and would dig into their stories. Amazingly, hardly anyone was shy about telling me. They didn't care.

A few were flying legally under light sport rules but most weren't.

It was interesting to say the least. It may be this way everywhere, I don't know, I just got really interested in exploring the issue back then because I moved about every 4 to 8 months to a new small town and had the opportunity to get to know a new group. I became really intrigued by it and would dig into their stories. Amazingly, hardly anyone was shy about telling me. They didn't care.
It wasn't that way where I was based for many years in Michigan. In fact the only illegal pilot I ever met was an instrument student who bragged about filing IFR on CAVU days to get experience in the system. Of course, I wasn't based at tiny podunk fields, but public fields generally in the suburbs or where the airport owner also owned a flight school and ran a pretty tight ship. It might be different out in the real boonies, but it's defnitely not like that everywhere.

It wasn't that way where I was based for many years in Michigan. In fact the only illegal pilot I ever met was an instrument student who bragged about filing IFR on CAVU days to get experience in the system. Of course, I wasn't based at tiny podunk fields, but public fields generally in the suburbs or where the airport owner also owned a flight school and ran a pretty tight ship. It might be different out in the real boonies, but it's defnitely not like that everywhere.

Yep, there are no illegal pilots at my small field in AL. I can say that for a fact, having the only airplane there and my tach time matches what I record after each flight.

I think there are ALOT of illegal pilots in the air. I now hanger at a small non-towered airport versus my previous life at a Class D airport. There seems to be a high percentage of "$100 hamburger" pilots here that either fly around locally or just to an airport no more than 50 miles away for a sandwich.

I tend to be gone days at a time on business, and they all seem to be always playing in their hangers or flying around the pattern.

I am not saying that is not fun or worthwhile, but I have always had the feeling that many are out of compliance in some way or the other.

You actually might be surprised how many people are on the highway without a driver's license. In many cases it was not taken away. They never bothered to get one! My business runs into that all the time when screening new applicants.

I’ve never understood that. I was raised that if you’re not 15-30 minutes early to meet someone, you’re late. One of the biggest insults you can give in my opinion is to be late or a no-show when someone else is waiting on you. Things happen, but that’s why we have phones...

A guy crashed an experimental helicopter recently here in NC. From what I’ve been told, he purchased it from someone else who was the builder. The guy who crashed it did not have any pilot license. He also had not re-registered it after buying it. On top of that the original owner, though he had registered it, had never bothered to get the airworthiness certificate for it but had flown it quite a bit. Supposedly he has a private pilot certificate but for airplane SEL only, no rotorcraft. So obviously there were numerous violations between the two guys. So I don’t doubt what @timwinters wrote at all. These folks are out there and in far larger numbers than many of us realize. And unfortunately they often don’t get caught until they kill themselves or someone else. IMHO these folks are good reasons to use the FAA hotline.

Sorry for the loss of life. But seriously? Flying without a license and bringing someone down with you?! Cirrus esp is going to be less forgiving than Cherokee / 172. Crazy

upload_2018-6-4_16-11-32.png

I think there are ALOT of illegal pilots in the air. I now hanger at a small non-towered airport versus my previous life at a Class D airport. There seems to be a high percentage of "$100 hamburger" pilots here that either fly around locally or just to an airport no more than 50 miles away for a sandwich.

I tend to be gone days at a time on business, and they all seem to be always playing in their hangers or flying around the pattern.

I am not saying that is not fun or worthwhile, but I have always had the feeling that many are out of compliance in some way or the other.

You actually might be surprised how many people are on the highway without a driver's license. In many cases it was not taken away. They never bothered to get one! My business runs into that all the time when screening new applicants.

You just described half of the hangars at my previous in WV. Except I know those pilots were legal, because I arranged two charitable flying days, and had copies of their certificates, medicals, logbooks, etc., to prove at least 500 hours, current Flight Review and passenger current.

Never thought hanging out in your hangar was a suspicious activity . . . .

You just described half of the hangars at my previous in WV. Except I know those pilots were legal, because I arranged two charitable flying days, and had copies of their certificates, medicals, logbooks, etc., to prove at least 500 hours, current Flight Review and passenger current.

Never thought hanging out in your hangar was a suspicious activity . . . .
On POA everything is suspicious/wrong/backward/wrong/incorrect/stupid/wrong, etc. Did I mention wrong? It is, just ask the poster who is saying that it is wrong...

Not making excuses, but "illegal" doesn't equate with incompetent - this case, who knows? Maybe both, maybe neither? I'm a wee bit taken aback that so much of this commentary does equate those two. He may have been cavalier, as far as FAA consequences go, but his piloting skills might have been above average. Or not. But I think it's very possible the accident wasn't cause by forgoing a PP SEL checkride.

I wouldn't fly illegal, 'cause my pockets aren't deep enough to fight the FAA, and I don't want the stress. But I know there were periods when I was legal and current, but not nearly as sharp as just before my PP or IR check rides.

Anyway, I'm just saying there is a real chance the crash had nothing to do with some signatures. . .

Back