SR22 Down in Parker, CO

An AP can be your best friend in staying coordinated at night, IMC, busy, etc. Don't know how his Cirrus was equipped, but always smart to get some HDG and alts bugged as part of the pretakeoff check

No idea what caused this crazy crash, but seems like maybe he just got out of sorts

Really terrible. Sucks

If the address I have for the house that was hit is accurate, here’s where he was...

For locals that know the area, he’s inside the Delta north of Hess Reservoir.

4fdbc2ac5a57688eb1b92ad85ea03d60.jpg

Looks like he had to be going directly eastbound to put the engine into the house from the open space area.

5faabf8e200ba27a55d92e2b364ff5f7.jpg

The ForeFlight satellite image of the area shows that the houses weren’t even built yet. That’s how new that subdivision is.

3eca89d372ae732e358fb93dbfffed04.jpg

It’s the light tan patch just north of the reservoir in this screenshot.

0a48446408ad9cd6bd30aebed3a6bde1.jpg

He had to cross completely over the final and be going nearly straight east to hit there and have the engine go into the nearly brand new house.

@denverpilot Thanks for posting all that. As a very new, very low-time student pilot, there's a lot in there that will make more sense to me over time, especially as I get more familiar with KAPA and the surrounding airspace.

Looks like he turned left after takeoff, then LH downwind, then turned East across the approach path? That's what would appear to have concerned the controller with traffic on final?

Looks like he turned left after takeoff, then LH downwind, then turned East across the approach path? That's what would appear to have concerned the controller with traffic on final?

Yep. He went right through the approach path.

He had an airplane with a rather capable AP, and the last thing he said was he wanted to come back to the airport... he may have had an engine problem. Wind was out of the northwest, he may have been trying to come back around to land on Runway 28.

In the end, he got high enough AGL to pull the handle...

Crashing going directly east at high speed still feels like CFIT to me, but there’s not going to be enough of that airplane left to know if it was an engine or control problem.

If the engine and controls were good, turning on the AP, setting a heading, and a higher altitude and asking for help, makes that a fine outcome.

Cloud bases were at pattern altitude according to the other Cirrus he cut across their ILS, who reported breaking out at 6800’. Probably ragged bases with lowering visibility... kinda like the commonly seen soupy junk in the Midwest.

Warm enough it’s unlikely icing was a factor, since the other Cirrus was doing laps on the approach as was the military aircraft. Basically one of our rare “reasonable practice” IMC days here where a pattern altitude ragged overcast and mist wasn’t convective and it wasn’t icing.

Lots of questions in my head now after seeing where his flight path took him and him only saying he wanted to come back to the airport.

The recording may have missed something there because I can’t imagine the controller asking him out of the blue for his intentions before he turned east like that unless he had said something else to them like he was running into IMC or similar. The scanner nature of the LiveATC recording may have hidden that.

He departed without an IFR clearance even though he had the rating and didn’t immediately ask for an IFR pop up which is also somewhat odd. Either he thought he could scud run the four miles back to the runway, or he was worried about not being current or something, perhaps.

We’ll probably never know.

There’s high tension lines on that ridge line there at Lincoln Avenue in those screen shots. They’re below you on the ILS. Just south of where he is there’s also the KOA broadcast tower. Too much crap to hit besides the ridge line itself to be scud running south of the airport.

The other Cirrus when warned about him said they’d descend to 6000’ to go under him. They were VMC at that point. I wouldn’t go down to 6000’ to duck under anything there over the ridge unless I could see those power lines.

Very odd, and sad. I see a number of ways he could have taken an “out” including, of course, the parachute. Sigh.

Last edited:
Nit pick: it’s an expired second class medical that is still valid for third class medical privileges. Oral exam question for the commercial...a medical never changes class but it can remain valid for lower class privileges. Gotta love the precision wording of regulations, it keeps airplanes flying most of the time.
I agree with your nit pick. You don't wake up one morning, look at your Second Class certificate, and discover the words on it have morphed so it now says Third Class.

I was wondering about that transmission. I thought I heard both "west" and "east" of the centerline mentioned.
Yes. At one point after the instruction to remain east, the controller notes the Cirrus turned west. So he instructed the Cirrus to continue and remain west.
Also... if a pilot announces they're turning around and coming back to the airport, is there any protocol for the controller asking why? Or is it solely up to the pilot to announce if there's some kind of trouble, malfunction, emergency, etc?
Nothing official I'm aware of, but they often will. One of the things we must learn to do as pilots is get over the various reasons we hesitate letting ATC know we have a problem.

Last edited:
Ugh. I haven’t bothered watching the local media coverage on this one for that reason. I did see the early interview with the South Metro Fire PAO and have met him in person.

He’s a straight shooter and does a good job handling the press but there’s only so much you can do when they want to go all “the sky is falling”. Sigh.
Greg Fieth was johnny on the spot.

If the engine and controls were good, turning on the AP, setting a heading, and a higher altitude and asking for help, makes that a fine outcome.
That's what I don't understand, if he thought he could scud run but ended up getting in trouble and panicked a little bit, then the autopilot is your best tool to get yourself situated, oriented, stabilized, and back home safe

Very odd, and sad. I see a number of ways he could have taken an “out” including, of course, the parachute. Sigh.
Great post, thanks for all the details you posted on this thread. Yes, doesn't make any sense, any of this

Greg Fieth was johnny on the spot.
There are a number of people that are identified as highly knowledgeble in their respective fields, and are on the go-to list for the local media. Example - Metro State U has a webpage listing faculty to contact. It's why Steve Beaty is frequently on local Denver tv when computer security is a hot topic.

There are a number of people that are identified as highly knowledgeble in their respective fields, and are on the go-to list for the local media. Example - Metro State U has a webpage listing faculty to contact. It's why Steve Beaty is frequently on local Denver tv when computer security is a hot topic.

Don't forget Mary Schaivo! (sp)

Strange accident. I am left to wonder where was he going and why. I came in from Minneapolis to FTG about 5PM. The weather was vfr but certainly not good enough to plan a trip over the Rocks without and IFR clearance and TKS. I live near APA and was watching the clouds from the house during the evening and it should have been obvious to him as he walked to the airplane that he would need a clearance to go anywhere. Next question I have is did he have a lot of experience in the airplane. Seems once he lost visual contact he would have turned on the autopilot to lower the workload. Had the airplane undergone maintenance or radio work while he was at APA. Unfortunate that the weather was not really bad so he would have just stayed on the ground.

We were in Parker anyway running errands so I went over there.

It’s at the top of the ridge line. This is the opening the first responders made in the fence, and a couple of shots looking slightly southwest and slightly northwest.

81498df7413edf30249520712e237c2f.jpg

c16d1a2dc88464cad123f86c3bb51f94.jpg

4d1f2a19165be7c6452d7d05a7652d9b.jpg

It’s a seriously brand new neighborhood. This is few blocks south of the accident site. $400-$500 houses.

b5e2c6a9b02d1da5fba0e980bd685ad6.jpg

As you can see the community hasn’t pushed over the top of the ridge yet. That land to the west is the open space he hit in. You can also see the high tension lines that run along Lincoln Ave on final to 35R.

When we pulled up a Pilatus was on final for 35R and not that far away or very high, probably flying the ILS. Weather is headed the same direction this afternoon that it was on the accident evening but not quite as bad on the visibility. Can see about three miles to the higher ridge line.

I drove down here to show you the terrain he was headed toward.

25761f3c244cc6187d94401ebb36b2bc.jpg

He was just north of that mesa on the ridge line that runs east-west. This shot is looking north. Turns out there’s another set of high tension lines that branches off and runs north-south right in his path along here too.

da9d52d34375a383877c667b52a1c041.jpg

Don’t know if these photos help. I was just curious about the “lay of the land” over here since these neighborhoods are new.

The neighborhoods are new, and the developers knew exactly where they were building new homes. I don't remember if Colorado/Arapahoe County instituted the written disclaimer to potential homeowners they are in the area of influence of a high-density airport. The joy of Front Range - no homes allowed to be built in the AoI (other than Travis, the former Div of Aeronautics director, but I think that house was built before the airport). Downside of FTG - Adams County has officially filed with the FAA for the Spaceport. Community meeting for phase 4 or 5 of 10 (10 is the final submission to the FAA) coming up in the next few weeks.

Correct and then came back towards the traffic on final a second time heading back west. You could hear the conflict alert going off on the controllers scope between him and the Hawk. Sad. Based on the breaking out at 6800 pirep, it seems he may have gotten disoriented in the soup.

m Downside of FTG - Adams County has officially filed with the FAA for the Spaceport. Community meeting for phase 4 or 5 of 10 (10 is the final submission to the FAA) coming up in the next few weeks.

Such a waste of tax dollars that close to DEN. Adams county taxpayers must be complete idiots or not paying any attention at all.

I drove down here to show you the terrain he was headed toward.

25761f3c244cc6187d94401ebb36b2bc.jpg

He was just north of that mesa on the ridge line that runs east-west. This shot is looking north. Turns out there’s another set of high tension lines that branches off and runs north-south right in his path along here too.

da9d52d34375a383877c667b52a1c041.jpg

Don’t know if these photos help. I was just curious about the “lay of the land” over here since these neighborhoods are new.
If that's where I think it is, I was just in that building in the top right corner on Thursday night getting an MRI done.

I work within sight distance of this field

If that's where I think it is, I was just in that building in the top right corner on Thursday night getting an MRI done.

I work within sight distance of this field

If you’re talking about the hospital it’s further west over on the other side of I-25. This is the north-south ridge that combines with the ridge along Lincoln Ave and runs just northwest of Parker inside the Delta.

You know, where pattern altitude won’t work... then the terrain drops away again for Parker Road?

Yup.

These all have a feature I haven’t seen before. Third small “garage” 90 degrees sideways to the front of the house. Too small for a car. Just there to store more crap.

The third garage 90 degrees to the front of the house is becoming very popular with new construction. Much of the newer construction out here in AZ has those. I think they are actually a really nice addition. What many home builders are doing is offering it either as a garage or as a small casita (if you didn't want the 3rd garage). Although they are certainly big enough to fit a normal car in. Maybe those ones are extra small?

If you’re talking about the hospital it’s further west over on the other side of I-25. This is the north-south ridge that combines with the ridge along Lincoln Ave and runs just northwest of Parker inside the Delta.

You know, where pattern altitude won’t work... then the terrain drops away again for Parker Road?
Nope, not the hospital. But the one I was thinking of is on Lincoln.

Regardless, that's the exit I take to get to work. Still very close to my home and my work.

The other Cirrus when warned about him said they’d descend to 6000’ to go under him. They were VMC at that point. I wouldn’t go down to 6000’ to duck under anything there over the ridge unless I could see those power lines.

Yikes! I wouldn't descend to 6000' anywhere around there (on purpose) unless I was on short final. Sad. One of my old coworkers lives just northeast of that subdivision.

Silly man! Those are for homebuilt airplanes kits. ;)

That would be a funny question for a realtor...
“So how do I taxi to the runway, and where is it?”
“What? We’re nowhere near an airport...”
“But your listing said RV parking...”

The third garage 90 degrees to the front of the house is becoming very popular with new construction. Much of the newer construction out here in AZ has those. I think they are actually a really nice addition. What many home builders are doing is offering it either as a garage or as a small casita (if you didn't want the 3rd garage). Although they are certainly big enough to fit a normal car in. Maybe those ones are extra small?

Here in Alabama too. Some are in front, in fact mostly in front with a 2 car garage on the front too. Some look a little ridiculous (to me) built that way.

Here in Alabama too. Some are in front, in fact mostly in front with a 2 car garage on the front too. Some look a little ridiculous (to me) built that way.

I've seen something like that in Palm Springs for many years. They are for the golf carts.

I wonder if maybe he did have an airplane problem - no issue with him not talking to tower about it; unless the controller had really long arms and an A&P, not a lot to say after "I'm coming back", unless the problem rises to the level of "declaring". Fly the plane, work the issue, talk to ATC about it later, etc. Maybe just got engrossed in an issue, didn't notice he was descending, or so low. . .?

Sky Ridge is on the west side of I-25 but the east side is a growing medical office area.

As a veterinarian this one hits closer to home. My career and practice has blessed me with the opportunity to become a pilot and own a nice plane.

This sounded like a great guy.

Here's an interesting thought I had tonight....if set incorrectly, could the SR22 autopilot fly someone full speed into the ground without any warning in 0/0 vis?

Here's an interesting thought I had tonight....if set incorrectly, could the SR22 autopilot fly someone full speed into the ground without any warning in 0/0 vis?
The Garmin WAAS stuff may give a terrain warning but the autopilot will go all the way to the ground. I used the word may because the terrain warning is given enroute but not at an airport.

The Garmin WAAS stuff may give a terrain warning but the autopilot will go all the way to the ground. I used the word may because the terrain warning is given enroute but not at an airport.

My GNS430W used to give me terrain warnings flying the pattern at KHTW in WV, base leg to 26 is directly toward a parallel ridge inside the downwind leg to 8. Can't speak to the TVs in Cirri . . . .

My GNS430W used to give me terrain warnings flying the pattern at KHTW in WV, base leg to 26 is directly toward a parallel ridge inside the downwind leg to 8. Can't speak to the TVs in Cirri . . . .
If I’ve got the airport as destination I haven’t gotten a terrain warning on a 430w. If I’m just low over terrain or descending into terrain it will give a warning. The only difference is telling the box I’m going to the airport.

If I’ve got the airport as destination I haven’t gotten a terrain warning on a 430w. If I’m just low over terrain or descending into terrain it will give a warning. The only difference is telling the box I’m going to the airport.

Mine gives terrain warnings as described with destination set to the airport. Sometimes I get one on final, too, but I'm way to busy to take a picture then . . . . Although I just did a software update to run with the orange label cards, I'll have to recheck it. Losing my old one when I brought it home to update was an expensive mistake: new card, new reader, software update on computer to download, software update on G430W to use new card, visit to avionics shop for the update . . .

Back