SR22 Down - Gulf of Mexico

Wow, amazing speculation with zero facts.
Not zero facts son. Examine the flight path. Realize that he should have already started descent when the turn was made for the Gulf.

Not zero facts son. Examine the flight path. Realize that he should have already started descent when the turn was made for the Gulf.
Would the autopilot descend at the next waypoint automatically? I'm not familiar with the new $$$ ones but all the ones I have used have not.

Would the autopilot descend at the next waypoint automatically? I'm not familiar with the new $$$ ones but all the ones I have used have not.
Dunno. Haven’t been around a Cirrus in about eight years. Pretty sure they won’t auto-descend on a flight plan since ATC is involved. Maybe they will on a STAR and fer sure they will on some approaches.

...tanker's SATCOM wasn't working...
There you go... blame it on the tanker guy! Standard... it’s okay. We’re used to it.

Unless you’re talking about a KC-10. Then I agree. Those guys are worthless.

There you go... blame it on the tanker guy! Standard... it’s okay. We’re used to it.

Unless you’re talking about a KC-10. Then I agree. Those guys are worthless.
Ha! Not blaming it on them, they were crucial that night for sure. Sometimes stuff breaks, not their fault. Our jets are just now getting SATCOM and it’s a slow process getting the bugs worked out.

**one thing I never understood with these charts, how is useful consciousness 6 seconds at 50K. This could potentially be a stupid question, but I can hold my breath realistically for about 40 seconds.. maybe a minute if I absolutely had to. So if I suddenly lost my O2 at 50K feet how is that in 6 seconds I'd be a vegetable?

I didn't really see an explanation in the thread for this, so I thought I would give an explanation. Not a doctor, but this is what I can remember from scuba diving. At depth, 2 or 3 atmosphere, you use air in a tank faster than under 1 atmosphere for two reasons. The first is the tank air is compressed two to three times, so each inhale is the same volume as the surface, but the amount of gas compressed into that volume is now two to three times as much; it is more dense. The second part of why you use your tank faster as you go deeper, the partial pressure of the gas is greater allowing more of the gas to dissolve into a liquid, the blood (Henry's Law). This causes the CO2 (low partial pressure so it wants to leave blood) and O2 (high partial pressure so it wants to dissolve into the blood) exchange in the lungs to occur more quickly (more air can dissolve into the blood), same as taking deep breaths which raise the partial pressure in your lungs temporally. The opposite of this would take place at high altitudes, now the partial pressure in your lungs is a lot lower and the O2 is less dense per volume at this altitude and the partial pressure is a lot lower so it doesn't want dissolve into the blood. On the other side, the "air" in the blood wants out since less air can be dissolved into the fluid as part of Henry's Law. Basically each exhale is cause O2 to leave the blood stream at a much higher rate than normal compared to holding your breath which maintains an almost steady dissolve rate for at least a little while as more and more O2 is used out of the air held in the lungs, this continues until the build up of CO2 becomes too great and CO2 isn't able to precipitate out of the blood and new O2 cannot come in and bound to the blood cells. Hopefully I got all this right, I know I skimmed over a lot of info to try and keep it short while still touching the important points.

Best way I can think to illustrate something like this is take a huge breath and see how long you can hold it. Now take an equally large breath a dive 8 to 10 feet, you won't be able to hold it as long. Take a large breath, fully exhale and hold it under the two conditions above (surface and 10' under). The times should be quite different and at depth holding an exhaled breath, your brain is going to be screaming at you to breath.

Ha! Not blaming it on them, they were crucial that night for sure. Sometimes stuff breaks, not their fault. Our jets are just now getting SATCOM and it’s a slow process getting the bugs worked out.
Huh. I know... I always got along well with you pointy-nose guys. As long as I was pointing with my elbow and being liberal with the "balls" call at the crud table, you guys would usually tolerate us herbivores hanging around. ;) One team-one fight, and all that.

What is weird is that my two winky-eye emojis didn't show up in my post... that post was all in jest.

...except for the KC-10 part... those guys really are the worst. ;)

Son? Trying to denegrate me with the first word? You claimed it was a suicide. Do you know the man? It was most likely on autopilot, not the first time this has happened. That you say this was a suicide with no information is disgusting. I'm sure I'm older than you are, boy.

I find Clark1961’s speculation disgusting and ignorant.
Do you have a problem with discussing suicide? It is a fact of life.

I based my opinion on facts present in the recorded flight of the aircraft. If you care to present another opinion that is fine but the emotional response you present is pointless.

Son? Trying to denegrate me with the first word? You claimed it was a suicide. Do you know the man? It was most likely on autopilot, not the first time this has happened. That you say this was a suicide with no information is disgusting. I'm sure I'm older than you are, boy.
You showed disrespect so I returned the favor. You may be older but you are certainly less mature.

Your facts? What may they be? Claiming a suicide with no facts is what you did. So if pressurization failed and the airplane was on autopilot it's a suicide? How mature and thoughtful of you.

Your facts? What may they be? Claiming a suicide with no facts is what you did. So if pressurization failed and the airplane was on autopilot it's a suicide? How mature and thoughtful of you.
An SR-22 is not pressurized. Now look at the flightpath on flightaware. Explain the turn toward the Gulf after the aircraft should have started its descent.

Your continued personal attacks and disrespect do you no credit and confirm my observation about your maturity. I think you’ll go on my ignore list very soon.

An SR-22 is not pressurized. Now look at the flightpath on flightaware. Explain the turn toward the Gulf after the aircraft should have started its descent.

Your continued personal attacks and disrespect do you no credit and confirm my observation about your maturity. I think you’ll go on my ignore list very soon.
You're already on mine. A true indication of s fool is someone that says something stupid and doubles down on it. You fool.

Folks, quit the bickering.

Not saying it again.

Explain the turn toward the Gulf after the aircraft should have started its descent

My first thought was something might have happened, like a heart attack, aneurism or some other significant medical event. Then knew he was not going to survive so set the heading bug for the middle of the Gulf of Mexico so to not chance injury to folks on the ground. Would not be the first time that has happened but without a body it is pure speculation.

You're already on mine. A true indication of s fool is someone that says something stupid and doubles down on it. You fool.
You make an argument based on ignorance of the aircraft and flightpath then you call me a fool. Got it. I believe your opinion in this matter is worth just a little less than what it cost you to post it.

My first thought was something might have happened, like a heart attack, aneurism or some other significant medical event. Then knew he was not going to survive so set the heading bug for the middle of the Gulf of Mexico so to not chance injury to folks on the ground. Would not be the first time that has happened but without a body it is pure speculation.
Certainly possible. He had the parachute as an option also.

Certainly possible. He had the parachute as an option also.

Good point. When I was in the middle of my heart attack calling 911 never entered my thought process. I drove myself to the emergency room like a big dummy...

Good point. When I was in the middle of my heart attack calling 911 never entered my thought process. I drove myself to the emergency room like a big dummy...

So you were planning on bringing your chute with you to the emergency room? :eek:

What Clark says could have been the cause. An O2 leak or bottle depletion could have caused it. Heart attack or other medical condition could have caused it. No one knows and probably won't unless the plane, and body, are recovered, body soon before its gone. Fighter pilots reported he was slumped over in his seat.

I just realized my second ever PnP flight was a handoff with this pilot. He flew a dog up from Oklahoma to Nashville and I took the dog to Indy. Seemed like a nice guy.

would you have been less of a dummy if you didn't drive yourself to the ER?

Probably....

It just never crossed my mind to stop and call 911.

I had to park on the far side of the parking lot, then I walked into the emergency room. The nice lady asked what's wrong and I had recovered enough to speak, so I told her I am having a heart attack. She hit the panic button and two nurses were there within a few seconds. They walked me into the emergency room and walked me to a wheel chair. Then pushed me the last 20 feet to one of the beds....

If I had walked that much every day I might have avoided the entire event...:lol:

Didn’t know the pilot but today we adopted a dog in Lincoln NE he helped rescue. Sounded like a nice guy and is respected and missed by many. The dog he’s petting on the belly at the 40 second mark is our dog

http://www.1011now.com/content/news/468098763.html

4fb4a69f2ab588a6b88cdcd2c084f5e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back