SR-22 Down in East Dallas area. No fatalities so far

Looks like they pulled the chute.
Wondering if that is the case and they drifted into the power lines.

I was thinking they flew into them.

635806284031276474-plane-crash.jpeg

The video says "All of that Jet fuel that leaked out"

Glad they survived. Add another one to the books for Cirrus!

Any idea why they were carrying "Jet Fuel" in an SR-22?

I'm kind of amazed the plane didn't fry. I've heard that the Cirrus is prone to torching.

I'm kind of amazed the plane didn't fry. I've heard that the Cirrus is prone to torching.
This crew figured out how to get the grass to fry instead of the plane. I want to talk to them about how they did it...

Could high voltage have triggered the chute?

doubtful. I believe that year model chute mechanism is completely mechanical sort of like a bullet firing out of a gun it does not require any electricity

Glad they lived, wonder what happened.

Be interesting to see if the chute was pulled prior to striking the power lines? Glad all aboard are ok.

No further info over on COPA.

As an aside, about 12 years ago I made the case that a CAPS pull could have its own risks. Mainly, having no control over where the plane comes down.

Two scenarios I imagined were:

1) Coming down, or getting dragged by the chute, into the path of a semi, and,

2) Coming down into a power station.

Neither was meant as a case against pulling the chute, just playing devil's advocate. And the history of CAPS pulls show virtually all that were done within design limits have been survivable.

But still VERY curious as to the real story here.

2) Coming down into a power station.

Neither was meant as a case against pulling the chute, just playing devil's advocate. And the history of CAPS pulls show virtually all that were done within design limits have been survivable.

That's why they made them out of plastic :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Two scenarios I imagined were:

1) Coming down, or getting dragged by the chute, into the path of a semi, and,
From what I heard that DID happen -(except for the semi) in a Pipistrel. It was a night pull with strong surface winds and they apparently got dragged over a mile before hitting a fence. Pretty sure there was one fatality and one serious.

I flew for an hour this morning out of lancaster just getting some landings in. The power company was there working on lines. No one at airport had solid information. Im on vacation this week so i'll be flying again tomorrow, if I hear any thing I will post it.

Odd thing is if you saw where it was its odd, its a mile maybe mile and half south but power lines are only 75 or 100 feet tall. If it was a failure there are plenty of outs if you needed a place to land.

I flew for an hour this morning out of lancaster just getting some landings in. The power company was there working on lines. No one at airport had solid information. Im on vacation this week so i'll be flying again tomorrow, if I hear any thing I will post it.

Odd thing is if you saw where it was its odd, its a mile maybe mile and half south but power lines are only 75 or 100 feet tall. If it was a failure there are plenty of outs if you needed a place to land.

Or happened at night though right?

This is a weird 2013 article about the pilot....a news article, the first sentence is "The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is recognizing Mahmood Ataee with inclusion in the prestigious FAA Airmen Certification Database". Actually after that statement, it doesn't really mention him again, so I guess it's not about him.

http://aviation-business-gazette.com/A24/B93/Pilot-Mahmood-Ataee-Grand-Prairie-TX.html

Transportation safety experts strongly recommend against flying with an uncertified pilot. FAA pilot certification can be the difference between a safe flight and one that ends in tragedy.
Look at the big brain on those transportation safety experts. :yes:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is recognizing Mahmood Ataee with inclusion in the prestigious FAA Airmen Certification Database.

The database, which appears on the agency's website at www.faa.gov, names Ataee and other certified pilots who have met or exceeded the high educational, licensing and medical standards established by the FAA.

Pilot certification standards have evolved over time in an attempt to reduce pilot errors that lead to fatal crashes. FAA standards, which are set in consultation with the aviation industry and the public, are among the highest in the world.

Transportation safety experts strongly recommend against flying with an uncertified pilot. FAA pilot certification can be the difference between a safe flight and one that ends in tragedy.

I have only one thing to say to the writer of this article...... "Well...DUH..!!!" :lol::lol::lol:

This is a weird 2013 article about the pilot....a news article, the first sentence is "The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is recognizing Mahmood Ataee with inclusion in the prestigious FAA Airmen Certification Database". Actually after that statement, it doesn't really mention him again, so I guess it's not about him.

http://aviation-business-gazette.com/A24/B93/Pilot-Mahmood-Ataee-Grand-Prairie-TX.html

Shucks, I got a mention on that site too:

http://aviation-business-gazette.com/A27/B18/Pilot-James-Mitchell-Logajan-Dexter-OR.html

In fact its a web site that obviously extracted public data from the FAA web site and auto-generated a slew of web pages. I found a couple entries for Brian Flynn, though none in NC. E.g. [EDIT: Just realized that your entry may be the CO one since the web pages were auto generated couple years ago and not updated. No point, since they are strictly a vanity site designed only to attract traffic for the ads.]:

http://aviation-business-gazette.com/A100/B72/Pilot-Brian-Patrick-Flynn-Fort-Collins-CO.html
http://aviation-business-gazette.com/A27/B87/Pilot-Brian-Charles-Flynn-Clifton-Park-NY.html

Or just enter a google search like this:
brian flynn site:aviation-business-gazette.com

Last edited:
I suppose the full details will tell the true tale, but so far it looks like another feather in the BPS cap.

Makes the physics of this story even weirder. They hit the lines with the gear, then they deployed the chute, then they got the chute caught in the power lines and slid down where they could get out. I'm wondering if they hit one of the branch circuits of the power lines where it splits, and then got caught in the other branch?

So, the plane clipped powerlines first, and then the wife pulled CAPS!

The pilot was apparently USAF trained and a competent pilot.

Weird scenario, that's for sure!

or....she didn't trust his natural pilot skills......:yikes:

I think I would do that too.
If I crash and survive, I'm pulling the chute after just to see it do its thing.

err.... Maybe igniting a rocket around 100ll isn't a good idea.

Note - the non-pilot passenger pulled the chute without the pilot knowing:hairraise:

I'm honestly glad they survived, but this has all kinds of jacked up written all over it.

I think I would do that too.
If I crash and survive, I'm pulling the chute after just to see it do its thing.

err.... Maybe igniting a rocket around 100ll isn't a good idea.

It reminds me of that crash I told you about at Gaston's.

Any idea of the exact location of the crash? I looked at both approaches on Google earth street view and it looks pretty clear of power lines...

That's the first thing I thought. I have been in there many times and don't remember coming in over powerlines. Maybe we're not looking out far enough if the story is to be believed... "N849CD, single-engine SR-22, clipped a power line 2 miles south of Lancaster" Yikes!

Any idea of the exact location of the crash? I looked at both approaches on Google earth street view and it looks pretty clear of power lines...

They had to be way low right? Anyone local know what the height of those lines would be? 55ft AGL? Two miles from the airport and that low? TPA would be 1500+ there right?

My working assumption is optical illusion.

He was experienced enough he would not have been that low on purpose.

If I can gather anything pertinent on COPA I'll share it.

My working assumption is optical illusion.

He was experienced enough he would not have been that low on purpose.

If I can gather anything pertinent on COPA I'll share it.

Yea, was it night, I noticed the news images were in the dark, maybe he was approaching a well lit parking lot instead of the airport.

So when is the 709 ride? And does the wife have to come along with her hand on the handle?

They had to be way low right? Anyone local know what the height of those lines would be? 55ft AGL? Two miles from the airport and that low? TPA would be 1500+ there right?

That was my initial thought as well. I'm normally at 500' on a 1 mile final.

Back