Squeezing a #5 dzus grommet

Stewartb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
stewartb
Anyone have a secret for how to do it without the "official" tool set? The tools are on backorder and my mechanic is out of town. I'm wondering if a simple tarp grommet tool will work in a pinch.

Anyone have a secret for how to do it without the "official" tool set?
What specific grommet are you talking about? Picture? Couple tricks but depend on grommet and accessibility to both sides.

No pic handy. #5 full grommet for the dzus at the front right of my Cessna cowl. Easy to access both sides with the cowl off. I need the grommet to retain the quarter turn stud.

If its the full length grommet I'm thinking of that needs to be flared on one side... find the largest diameter counter sunk screw that will fit the grommet. Insert screw head on flare side with nut/wide washer on other side. Tighten screw/nut till the flare forms or screw bottoms then replace screw with bolt/wide washer to finish crimping flare side flat. Sometimes it can be a bear to get flare started.

I used a 5/16” deep socket to drive the grommet with the stud in place. The stud is captured and turns and there’s enough lip that the grommet is solidly held in. I think it’ll do just fine.

How bout a pic for learning before this thread gets buried never to be seen again.

Back