Spring weather blues

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
I haven't been up for a while due to weather and I had to change the oil before the end of the month which meant I had to fly-at least that's what I told my wife. I got home yesterday and the skies were clear but the ATIS said

Winds variable at 7 gusting to 17

How do you plan for that? I waited until dusk, winds died down, got in a nice scenic flight and drained the oil and took a sample for testing.

I learned to fly in Colorado, so wx like that was a decently calm day. It's all about how/where you learned and what you're comfortable with. Add half your gust factor to your AS on final, etc. Maintain longitudinal alignment with correct crosswind technique. Variable winds are usually consistent enough to deal with for the few seconds between the end of the runway and touchdown, but not always. Be prepared to go around. Be safe out there!

I haven't been up for a while due to weather and I had to change the oil before the end of the month which meant I had to fly-at least that's what I told my wife. I got home yesterday and the skies were clear but the ATIS said

Winds variable at 7 gusting to 17

How do you plan for that? I waited until dusk, winds died down, got in a nice scenic flight and drained the oil and took a sample for testing.
You made the Gods angry. The winds kicked up because you lied to your wife. That being said, do you have that copywrited, or can I use it to?

Grab an instructor and learn to fly in 17 knot winds.

It's not an issue, even if it's a direct crosswind.

What it means is that you'll have to actually read the winds in real time, 'cause they are going to be all over the place.

Even in places with mild winds, gusts to 17 knots are normal on a summer afternoon.

Even in places with mild winds, gusts to 17 knots are normal on a summer afternoon.

Gusts to 17 are nothing to flinch at... even gusts to 27, as long as they are coming mostly down the runway. Landed in 19G28 the other day (wasn't like that or forecast to be like that when I took off!), but it was only at a 15 degree angle to the runway, so pretty easy to handle. That said, variable winds stress me out. I probably would have scrapped for that forecast too, just because my skill isn't quite there yet.

It seem so rare that I get to fly on a calm wind day... no matter what the season. Spring does seem worse, but at least I can preflight without shivering in the cold.

Yesterday..... winds 24031G39..... not too bad for the area, this time of year anything under 30 is almost a calm day.

Today....snow

Who knows what is in store for tomorrow.

Such is life in the high desert.

Waiting for dusk sounded like a good plan.

Just don't pull out the power early and forget to flare. I had 20kt gusts yesterday and end up lowering the runway elevation by a few feet.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the overhead bags HAVE shifted during landing..."

Grab an instructor and learn to fly in 17 knot winds.

It's not an issue, even if it's a direct crosswind.
That would depend on the length of his runway. The OP seemed to indicate the direction is variable. If it shifts from a crosswind to a tailwind and gusts up then it can be a hassle on shorter runways.

That would depend on the length of his runway. The OP seemed to indicate the direction is variable. If it shifts from a crosswind to a tailwind and gusts up then it can be a hassle on shorter runways.
Yeah, it can make you go around if that happens. But it can be done safely. In the opposite direction, it's shifted to a headwind, and will slow you down for the shorter runway.

Yeah, it can make you go around if that happens. But it can be done safely. In the opposite direction, it's shifted to a headwind, and will slow you down for the shorter runway.
Unless it shifts back around again, hence the hassle.

Gusts don't bother me, high winds don't bother me either, it's the high variable gusts. There's nothing in me that says I have to fly anywhere, anytime so I can wait it out. One thing I learned in the Marines is when you have the time, take a nap, you'll need it later.

Back