Spring is right around the corner

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
No really, it is!

As I left work tonight there was still a little light in the sky - and in the mail was the first LL Bean spring catalog of the season.

In the DC area at least, in March you can sometimes see flowers trying to bud - so only about 5 weeks to go, now!

Oh so optimistic.

seriously......it's freakin 22 degrees here now, and it sure ain't gonna be spring here in five weeks.....double that, and that's Boston for ya.
We had snow in May a few years back.

Elizabeth, We ain't heard from that dang groundhog yet!

Standby for further developments! :D

as far as I'm concerned, when daylight savings time begins, it is spring. And last year/this year it's the second Sunday in March, if I am not mistaken.

I think Phil will behave this year!

I was riding around on the motorcycle today. No gloves required. No sweatshirt under the leather.
Where are you again?

Assuming around 3PM this afternoon...

KJAX 232056Z 11006KT 10SM BKN027 BKN250 18/14 A3005 RMK AO2 SLP175 T01830139 55013

Let's look an hour earlier...

KJAX 231956Z 00000KT 10SM BKN027 20/14 A3004 RMK AO2 SLP174 T02000139

Okay... yeah, it was short-sleeve weather! :D

Thanks for the encouragement, Elizabeth. I love the Midwest, enjoy the snow, but ... let's just say I can live without the below zero stuff!

Overnight: Mostly clear, with a low around -11. Wind chill values between -16 and -26. West wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values between -15 and -25. West wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -2. West wind between 6 and 8 mph.

currentconds_down.jpg

Waukesha County Airport
Lat: 43.01 Lon: -88.2 Elev: 932
Last Update on Jan 23, 10:35 pm CST

Fair

3°F
(-16°C)Humidity:72 %Wind Speed:NW 10 G 17 MPHBarometer:30.09"Dewpoint:-4°F (-20°C)Wind Chill:-12°F (-24°C)Visibility:10.00 mi.

Spring is Sunday. that is when I get to Hawaii!!!

-18C and snowing this morning. No thank you, I am ready to go someplace warmer that has much less reindeer to eat.

-18C and snowing this morning. No thank you, I am ready to go someplace warmer that has much less reindeer to eat.
You're such a picky, world-class, traveler! Never happy!

:goofy:

So...this means finishing your PPSEL is right around the corner, too?

wink wink nudge nudge :blueplane:

-Rich

So...this means finishing your PPSEL is right around the corner, too?

wink wink nudge nudge :blueplane:

-Rich

actually, that's right. I'm seeing my eye doc next week, and going to get my next medical squared away - or at least get the FAA started on approving it. SODA, coming right up!

Thanks for the encouragement, Elizabeth. I love the Midwest, enjoy the snow, but ... let's just say I can live without the below zero stuff!

Overnight: Mostly clear, with a low around -11. Wind chill values between -16 and -26. West wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values between -15 and -25. West wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -2. West wind between 6 and 8 mph.

currentconds_down.jpg

Waukesha County Airport
Lat: 43.01 Lon: -88.2 Elev: 932
Last Update on Jan 23, 10:35 pm CST

Fair

3°F
(-16°C)Humidity:72 %Wind Speed:NW 10 G 17 MPHBarometer:30.09"Dewpoint:-4°F (-20°C)Wind Chill:-12°F (-24°C)Visibility:10.00 mi.

That sure makes me glad I didn't go for a job at GE Medical that a headhunter was trying to get me to apply for a year ago. That's just too cold for me.

This is what it looked like when I left, I used up all the good weather, Sorry. We had beautiful weather the first 3 or 4 days. Then it really got windy. Our surf instructor said when we brought it up, "This is what it is always like" The last 4 days are not typical. They had a big storm right before we got there also. That was the thing I wanted to see while I was there a nice big storm with monster waves. The biggest we saw were about 15 to 20 feet.

Dan

Attachments

• The day we left.JPG
    The day we left.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 5
That sure makes me glad I didn't go for a job at GE Medical that a headhunter was trying to get me to apply for a year ago. That's just too cold for me.

Yea, but when we wake up from our hibernation, we enjoy the spring so much more than people in more moderate climates!

Actually, this has been a tough winter. Last year was very mild, and almost no snow from mid-December to mid-January. This year, we are building a house, and might have lost 3+ weeks due to snow and extreme cold. I feel for our GC and subs - they are hard-working men, especially out in these elements.

Spring is coming, guys - be patient! We got up to 70F here on the Mexico border today.

Saw a big flock of geese headed northbound here on Friday night. Too big to be a local flock, and in proper "V" formation.

Yep, spring is on the way...

Jim G

About time for the grackles to leave San Antonio and go elsewhere to "whitewash" the sidewalks, streets, cars, and playgrounds.

About time for the grackles to leave San Antonio and go elsewhere to "whitewash" the sidewalks, streets, cars, and playgrounds.

So that's where they go. I'd only seen the miserable things in Boston.

We get those miserable grackles here in Houston too, where it was nearly 80* today :).

They changed the forecast!

It was 6-8 inches of snow.

Now it's 8-12 inches of snow. :hairraise:

I'll fill up the gas can for the blow snower.

Sigh!

Here we go again! Thankfully I'm off to Miami on business Thursday then over to Houston on Saturday. Hopefully I get some sun to remember what it looks like. Paper today said in the first 4 days of February we've had 11 minutes of sunshine!

We get those miserable grackles here in Houston too, where it was nearly 80* today :).

SHARRUP!

This snow is fed by your gulf moisture being pushed to us by the jet stream.

If youse guys would just stop exhaling I wouldn't have to dig out tomorrow! :mad:

they told us 1-3" last night at 10. I had 5" by then. Woke up to around 8" this morning.

Sigh!

Here we go again! Thankfully I'm off to Miami on business Thursday then over to Houston on Saturday. Hopefully I get some sun to remember what it looks like. Paper today said in the first 4 days of February we've had 11 minutes of sunshine!

That's why you have to go fly...it's always sunny somewhere up there! That kind of puts it into perspective...I thought we had some crappy weather up here....yikes.

It feels like low 60s out there today. We are barely 5 weeks from the time change, now, too.

Something about this TAF just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
KOTM 051804Z 051818 36011KT 4SM -RASN BR OVC012
TEMPO 1820 1/2SM -TSSN FG OVC006CB
FM2200 01016G26KT 1/2SM SN BLSN OVC004
FM0700 35018G27KT 1 1/2SM -SN BLSN OVC007
TEMPO 1014 1/2SM SN BLSN OVC002
FM1500 35016G25KT 3SM -SN BLSN OVC010

NWS says 10-12 inches here, possibly more if we get much thunder snow.

snowing good here now. NWS is looking 4-8 inches by the end of the night. yippee!

When I drove out to vote, among other errands, it was snowing so hard... I cleared the snow from the car roof, windshield, lights, side windows rear windows, then the windshield was opaque with snow again. I had to turn the wiper speed up to keep up. That's the first time that happened this year.

Now I just got a recorded call from the village. We got so much snow this year, they're out of rock salt for the roads. We're on our own. :mad:

At least the temps are above freezing so this stuff should melt away...in a week.

Did I mention that something told me yesterday to take a look at my outdoor sump pump, and when I did I found it was doing its impression of Buckingham Fountain? The drain line broke at the checkvalve. The pump was probably pushing water against a frozen line.

I had I round tuit to fix it anyway. Didn't take too long to bring everything out and do about 75% of what I had in mind. I removed the checkvalve and drilled a hole in hopes any water will drain back and not freeze. I still don't have a sure thing plan to keep it from freezing. although I'm going to add another pipe heat tape and some more insulation.

And I was hoping to make my assigned run to Milwaukee tonight when it would only be 1/2 rain and 1/2 snow. Instead, I'm sitting in a Panera Bread in Melrose Park, waiting for tomorrow to get here so someone will show up to load me. :(

Here in foggy Williamsport, PA, the weather has been raining, but warm the past few days. Last night when I got home, the warm weather actually inspired me enough to spend some time out in the garage cleaning stuff up! Was somewhere around 50 yesterday, this morning driving into work the truck said 48.

Last week we had freezing rain that made driving tons of fun! Doubly so getting up my steep driveway with a bend in it!

It's only the beginning of February, though. A year ago we hadn't even gotten our big snow storms by this point, so I suspect we've got winter ahead yet. The temperatures are the big thing for me. It's difficult for me to get motivated to go do stuff when it's cold and I just want to curl up and nap, taking cues from the dog.

When I drove out to vote, among other errands, it was snowing so hard... I cleared the snow from the car roof, windshield, lights, side windows rear windows, then the windshield was opaque with snow again. I had to turn the wiper speed up to keep up. That's the first time that happened this year.

Now I just got a recorded call from the village. We got so much snow this year, they're out of rock salt for the roads. We're on our own. :mad:

At least the temps are above freezing so this stuff should melt away...in a week.

Did I mention that something told me yesterday to take a look at my outdoor sump pump, and when I did I found it was doing its impression of Buckingham Fountain? The drain line broke at the checkvalve. The pump was probably pushing water against a frozen line.

I had I round tuit to fix it anyway. Didn't take too long to bring everything out and do about 75% of what I had in mind. I removed the checkvalve and drilled a hole in hopes any water will drain back and not freeze. I still don't have a sure thing plan to keep it from freezing. although I'm going to add another pipe heat tape and some more insulation.

Interesting, I'm just a little south of you and we had nothing but rain. When I went to bed at 9:30 it was still raining - woke up to MAYBE a 1/4 inch of snow in the driveway but its still raining now. They say its finally going to turn to snow around mid day but who knows?

Interesting, I'm just a little south of you and we had nothing but rain. When I went to bed at 9:30 it was still raining - woke up to MAYBE a 1/4 inch of snow in the driveway but its still raining now. They say its finally going to turn to snow around mid day but who knows?
Down here in Romeoville, we've STILL not gotten any snow from this storm, but I'm working from home because we're planning to close the college at noon for weather. It's only 40 miles north.

Down here in Romeoville, we've STILL not gotten any snow from this storm, but I'm working from home because we're planning to close the college at noon for weather. It's only 40 miles north.

We didn't get the 12 inches overnight. I'd say we got 4-5 inches with a lot of wet from rain. My windows have a layer of ice/water on them, which doesn't even happen when it rains.

It's so heart warming when you see even the national weather maps and note that your house is smack in the middle of the red highest snow area. It's coming down hard now and they're saying 14 inches.

My thought is to go out in it and try to blow off the layer that's there to get a jump on it. I did venture out last night to prepare a fresh gallon of 2 cycle gas mix for the snow blower. :(

Back