Spray Cleaner on paint. Corrosion worries, etc.

N9091Y

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N9091Y
Any suggestions on a quick post flight spray cleaner for post flight quick bug removal?
I’ve got a 69 Arrow, and the paint is probably around a 6. I’m not concerned about ruining my “brand new” paint job. The plane has had many owners so it shows evidence of lots Rattle can touch ups which actually look ok- ( from 10 feet, that is. Lol)

I’m thinking- Simple Green, maybe?
There must be some quick spray brand that is effective and safe?

Thanks Group. This is my First Post. Just joined, so newbie here.

N9091Y
PA28R-200

Welcome to PoA. There are lots of threads on this. Bug removal: wash wax all, Plane Perfect, lemon pledge... Tougher grime: Aviation simple green (regular simple green is corrosive to aluminum), non-pumice gojo...

Get any "Detailing Spray" at a car parts store. Designed to do exactly what you are talking about. Simple Green is a bit on the strong side for bug removal. All you want to do is rehydrate the bug splatter. I go the length of one wing and then go back to where I started with a microfiber rag. The bit of time allows the bugs to soften.

I always used a few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle full of water. Spray down all the leading edges and windshield. By the time you're done go back over it with a towel and all the bugs will wipe away.

Any suggestions on a quick post flight spray cleaner for post flight quick bug removal?
One method that works well for quick bug removal is to prep the paint/surface initially. First wash/clean the area. If the paint is oxidized or stained apply Aero Gloss Polish. Then apply Rejex to the area. Be sure to let it cure over night. After each flight it usually only takes a damp cloth to remove bugs. Refresh the Rejex when the bugs tend to stick more. Most of my old customers would treat the entire aircraft as above as it provides excellent paint protection.

I’m thinking- Simple Green, maybe
FYI: if use Simple Green be sure to use only the aviation version of the product.

For bug removal I just have a spray bottle of water for everything except the windshield, and use the foam for the windshield.

I spray the wings, gear, cowl, etc.
By the time I’m done spraying and come back to the first spot I sprayed, the bugs are softened up and wipe right off with a micro fiber cloth. Do this EVERY time you fly, and you won’t have any issues.

Lucas Slick Mist works amazing. I only use it on painted/metal surfaces though not the windshield.

One method that works well for quick bug removal is to prep the paint/surface initially. First wash/clean the area. If the paint is oxidized or stained apply Aero Gloss Polish. Then apply Rejex to the area. Be sure to let it cure over night. After each flight it usually only takes a damp cloth to remove bugs. Refresh the Rejex when the bugs tend to stick more. Most of my old customers would treat the entire aircraft as above as it provides excellent paint protection.

FYI: if use Simple Green be sure to use only the aviation version of the product.

+1

The Extreme Simple Green Aviation Cleaner is really good. Diluted 1:1 it does a great job getting oil and lead off the belly. Diluted 1:13, I think it is, is a good daily cleaner. I think it’s OK to use it at that dilution without rinsing but I always come back with some RO water in a spray bottle for a rinse and wipe it dry, just to be safe. On the belly I rinse it twice with a wet rag and then dry it.

I’ve seen reviews of people using the stuff in ultrasonic cleaners to clean lawn mower carbs, etc.

I always used a few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle full of water. Spray down all the leading edges and windshield. By the time you're done go back over it with a towel and all the bugs will wipe away.
That little bit of detergent helps dissolve the bit of fat a bug contains.

Any automotive spray on detailer should work. I use Prolong Lubricant Waterless Wash and Shine. It’s similar to Lucas Slick Mist, but not as heavy of wax. Both are fine products.

Ditto on the H2O for bugs. That’s all you need.

I use a spray bottle of plain H20 . Soak down all the leading edges and go back with a terry cloth rag and the bugs come right off. I use a microfiber towel and Prist for the windshield . If I'm feeling fancy I use Meguiers spray on wax afterwards. I swear it's good for a least 1-2 knots. ;)

ZipWax is a combination soap and wax automotive product. Every time you clean the bugs of you leave a coat of wax. If do this at the end I’d every flight the bugs wipe off easily and it is very mild on paint. Mix in a garden sprayer and it is safe for windscreens too.

Sprayway Glass Cleaner is my solution for 90% of my cleaning issues

Me too. It's a good product. It cleans glass really well, and is effective on pretty much all surfaces and many types of dirt and bugs.

If you have a decent coat of wax, then just water and microfiber towel. Let the water soak the bugs for a minute or two, they'll come right off.

I use Simple Green for Aviation. The bottle has a chart that indicates at which concentration the product won't corrode (1:13 IIRC). I use 1:3 concentration which is enough for every regular task with a single spray bottle mix. Bug splatter (including old one) stands no chance, just seconds of soaking is enough.

Back