Spotted a cool airplane today

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
So I went to the local repair shop to pay a bill for an oxygen cylinder hydrostat and fill, and there was a cool plane I hadn't seen before in the hangar.

It was a twin Aircam amphib. Much bigger airplane than I thought the Aircams were.

A real beauty, too. It's based at my field, but I hadn't seen it before. I found some nice photos online (not mine), and it's definitely the same plane.

41406_1384106449.jpg

Two Rotax engines, above the wing.

Ahh I knew it was a twin, and now I can see the props.

Nice! There's a guy at one of my local airports that has a lime green Aircam. If that isn't the best airplane for aerial photog/low and slow flying, I don't know what is. Neat airplanes.

Putting floats in really makes twit sit higher and seem much larger.

Nice! There's a guy at one of my local airports that has a lime green Aircam. If that isn't the best airplane for aerial photog/low and slow flying, I don't know what is. Neat airplanes.

Maybe a Breezy?

There is a company in Florida, not sure where, you can get your AMES using the Air Cam on floats.
Saw the standard Air Cam at AOPA Prescott AZ fly in. Nice looking birds.

That's cool. Two weekends ago at our monthly EAA fly in one came in. Really cool to see.

Attachments

• aircam.jpg
    aircam.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 35
There's one of those in the hangar next to me. It's very cool.

Flew on a Breezy when I was a kid...can't say you are in a Breezy. Just a lap belt and nothing else, if I remember correctly, kind of creeps you out if you think about it for any length of time.

Here's another low speed airplane:
dragonfly.jpg

This is the Bailey-Moyes Dragonfly, originally designed to tow hang gliders aloft. Most of those built are doing exactly that. With a power on stall speed of 14 knots and a normal liftoff speed of 22 knots, you won't be on the ground for long, but the cruise speed of 40 knots means most cross countries will be done in a trailer.

The guy I mentioned who has the lime green Aircam, was turning base as I was approaching the pattern on the 45 this evening. It's color makes it easy to spot. What a neat aircraft!

Back