SPOT Tracking Devise / 911 TEST

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Spot is a portable tracking / emergency locating devise in the event of an off field landing. The tracking feature is really cool for family & friends to follow your CC adventures, but I bought it for the 911 feature. I like the idea of having a GPS coordinates of my exact location given to authorities in the event of an off field landing.

http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

I decided to test the 911 feature to see how they responded and how fast.
eek.gif
I went on line and changed my 911 message to let them know this was only an unscheduled unofficial test.

At 9:00 am CST I activated the 911 button.
cool.gif

At 9:02.10 they called. That is a 2 min 10 second response time to call the first contact number.
eek.gif
The operator that called was from the International Emergency Response Center and he said the next step would have been to escalate the help response if they were unable to reach the primary or secondary contact number you provide on line when you set the account up. They are gathering information and assessing the situation to send an appropriate response team as needed. They would call the nearest 911 center and give them your GPS coordinates. It is nice to know this really works as advertised in the event of an emergency. This is why I bought it, and it works!

I even had the unit in my PU truck on the dash under a tree just to kinda simulate a forced landing.

I am totally impressed with SPOT and I want to encourage all to give this safety product serious consideration. If not for you, for your family, friends, passengers who depend on you.

It is very important to have a good description of you and to keep your on line contacts up to date so SPOT response can call you or your family members in the event of an emergency.

SPOT WORKS!

I am not associated with SPOT, just thought others might want to know about it.

Down side? It has to be manually activated. Will not activate on impact, but it looks tough enough to possible survive impact.

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Interesting and much cheaper than a new ELT. How much is the service?

They offer 2 levels of service.

1. E-mail notification only $100 / year. You push the "OKAY" button and an e-mail / text message is sent to anyone you choose with a Google map link to let them cut & paste to see where you are at.

2. Tracking Service $150 / year. Includes above and it sends out a tracking signal every 10-12 mins and tracks your progress on a Google map that anyone can go on line and see.

Pretty cool.

opens google maps but not your track, Mark ... at least for me.

these are becoming popular with glider pilots, particularly out west where the terrain is really inhospitable.

ah, there you are! :) hmmm, it still kept the track going as you ducked thru the Eisenhower tunnel! :)

ah, there you are! :) hmmm, it still kept the track going as you ducked thru the Eisenhower tunnel! :)
:D I think Spot doesn't track altitude.

Actually, the coolest part for me was the first time I looked at the Google map rendition at GJT and saw that it put me exactly on the parking space where I originally parked and in the spot where the airplane was the next morning when we left.

A friend used spot when we recently flew to Tom's RDU BBQ It was kind of cool. What is the difference between SPOT and the other PLBs?

A friend used spot when we recently flew to Tom's RDU BBQ It was kind of cool. What is the difference between SPOT and the other PLBs?

There's a [thread=24139]thread[/thread] that gets into this.

Back