SPORTS PILOT BIPOLAR

waldronpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
waldronpilot99
after reading a substantial amount of articles is it my understating that if your doctor says you are in good health and your chronic medical condition is controlled you can use a drivers license as a medical for a light sport aircraft. am i correct? if so can you take medication if your doctor says it will not endanger the public or interfere with you ability to operate a light sport aircraft? the medications i am on is clozapine 200 mg vraylar 6 mg and Lamictal 300 mg. i only take them at night and my doctor says i am alert and not sedated. i am in great shape and my doctor says my judgment is excellent and my condition is TOTALY corrected. can i fly as a sports pilot?

I'm not a doctor so my advice is worth less than you paid for it.

Can you fly a light sport on a driver's license medical? Yes.

Should you fly a plane considering the reasons you are taking these three medications? I personally don't believe it's a great idea.

Have you taken a flight or any lessons in a small plane? If not take an instruction flight or two and see how you handle it. I'd be interested in what you learn.

after reading a substantial amount of articles is it my understating that if your doctor says you are in good health and your chronic medical condition is controlled you can use a drivers license as a medical for a light sport aircraft. am i correct? if so can you take medication if your doctor says it will not endanger the public or interfere with you ability to operate a light sport aircraft? the medications i am on is clozapine 200 mg vraylar 6 mg and Lamictal 300 mg. i only take them at night and my doctor says i am alert and not sedated. i am in great shape and my doctor says my judgment is excellent and my condition is TOTALY corrected. can i fly as a sports pilot?
The key issue from a regulatory point of view is whether you meet the requirement of 14 CFR 61.53(b):

"Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in § 61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."
I don't consider myself qualified to express an opinion on whether you meet that requirement or not.

from the faa websight copy and paste:

"Provided I otherwise qualify and have never sought FAA medical certification, am I authorized to exercise sport pilot privileges on the basis of a current and valid driver's license if I have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician's recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations."

i know its about diabetes but i think its generally the same idea
what if my doctor says im good? i dont think i am a problem to be honest. i never forget to take meds and they do work

In the end, it's your decision and yours alone, though the FAA recommends you should go along with anything your doctor says. So yes, you're legal to fly as a sport pilot. The only gotcha is, if you ever have an accident or incident caused by or related to your medical condition, the FAA can then take action against you.

In the end, it's your decision and yours alone, though the FAA recommends you should go along with anything your doctor says. So yes, you're legal to fly as a sport pilot. The only gotcha is, if you ever have an accident or incident caused by or related to your medical condition, the FAA can then take action against you.

It's not required to consult a doctor before flying Sport Pilot he only has to "self certify". How can the FAA take action when it's not even required to consult a doctor.

As will the insurance agencies. And any lawyer that can get their claws into the event.

ok good to know. i guess i will need to get everting in writing from my physician and check with a Lawer to make sure i have every documentation. i will keep safe, act responsible and have it all in writing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back