Sports license with dui

Wannafly1234

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WannaFly
First off I know I was bad, wrong group of friends, so anyway I have 3 dui's 2 in 2007 one in jan 2010, I'm only looking for a sports license and the requirement is either medical or have a drivers license. Well I have a drivers license but its a different color and says I must have a interlock system. Now does that count as a license to be able to go sport?

"(b) A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—
(1) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;"

If you need an interlock for a car, then...

So my lock system is over with in just a few months, could I start my training or would I have to present all that (license) at the first session? I know they throw you in a plane the first time to get you more interested. What if I just go for my first lesson, they usually let you take control for a minute, I wouldn't need a license for that would I?

You need a bunch of ID to show that that you are not a foreign terrorist (it's OK to be a domestic terrorist). Why throw up any red flags that you don't need to?

"(b) A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—
(1) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to the operation of a motor vehicle;"

If you need an interlock for a car, then...

This is an opportunity! Design an interlock for airplanes, including the STC! Sell it to the airlines as well as GA. Could make a fortune!

As noted, assuming you're a US citizen, you can start your training right now (and yes, you'd be handling the controls on the first lesson), and you need not show that DL if you have a US passport to show instead (which covers both identity and the TSA citizenship requirement). You'll have to present your DL to your instructor as a substitute for a medical certificate when you solo, and if it still says what it says, you'll pretty much be unable to solo since they don't put those interlocks on airplanes. If that restriction has been removed, then nobody at the flight school will be the wiser unless as part of their own requirements they ask about past DUI's.

However, when you fill out the application for your Sport Pilot certificate as part of your practical test requirements at the end of training, you will have to list your driver's license information in Block U of the application form. The FAA will then run your DL information against the National Driver Registry and find out about that past DUI. What I do not know is what they will do about it, although I'm sure the details of the event and how long ago it happened and your history of sobriety since then will be factors. Your best bet on that would be to ask Dr. Bruce Chien, an highly experienced Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) who specializes in difficult aeromedical certifications. Bruce has the inside line on how the FAA handles situations like this. You can reach him via either his web site or the AOPA Forums Medical section.

Last edited:
This is an opportunity! Design an interlock for airplanes, including the STC! Sell it to the airlines as well as GA. Could make a fortune!

You don't need an STC on an LSA, that is an FAA certification system product and the FAA doesn't certify LSA. IIRC all mods to an LSA (unless Experimental) have to be approved by the manufacturer as they self certify the planes to ATSM standards.

You don't need an STC on an LSA, that is an FAA certification system product and the FAA doesn't certify LSA. IIRC all mods to an LSA (unless Experimental) have to be approved by the manufacturer as they self certify the planes to ATSM standards.
...in which case you'd need the manufacturer's approval for the alteration.

I'm quite aware of LSA rules but did you notice the inclusion of the airlines? I'm too lazy to go back and edit my note to make it more obvious that it was in jest.

I'm in the USA so what I'm getting here is I can learn to fly and by the time it comes up for a solo then won't matter?

I'm in the USA so what I'm getting here is I can learn to fly and by the time it comes up for a solo then won't matter?

What you're reading is that you can start your training but have to wait to get your regular license back to solo. When you are ready to take your checkride and fill out your application and the FAA runs your license through the database, it is unknown here if you will be allowed to hold the license due to the recency of your DUI.

so if I walk in and say hey lets teach me to fly sport what will they ask for? I could do 103 or fly my rc plane above the clouds if its best to wait

I'm pretty sure a three-time DUI offender is not getting a third class medical without a LONG history of abstinence and treatment, so the market for an interlock for aircraft for such a pilot would really only be for people flying LSA.

It seems they'd be more likely to just wait it out until they no longer have that restriction on their license. Which is safer for the rest of us, too...

Like you guys haven't ever drank and drove home even once in highschool, not getting drunk and saying, hey ya boys wanna go for a ride?? No one that even goes for something like this would be a drunk, well hopefully not. It happened, can't change it, but I'm not looking for a 747. I could build a kit exp 103 and be running into life flight at that alt but I'm trying to go just a bit beyond that.

I'm pretty sure a three-time DUI offender is not getting a third class medical without a LONG history of abstinence and treatment, so the market for an interlock for aircraft for such a pilot would really only be for people flying LSA.

It seems they'd be more likely to just wait it out until they no longer have that restriction on their license. Which is safer for the rest of us, too...

LSA doesn't require a third class medical. It requires that you've never been denied a medical and that you are medically able to hold a valid US DL. The fact that he would probably be deferred / SI route with very long testing period for a 3rd class is irrelevant to the LSA process.

There is still a requirement that you don't fly if you have a condition that you know would make you unable to fly safely, but a history of DUI doesn't do that. The history is indicative of a life problem that needs to be dealt with but not one that is dangerous to flying.

so if I walk in and say hey lets teach me to fly sport what will they ask for? I could do 103 or fly my rc plane above the clouds if its best to wait

103 is a lot of fun. To start training, just get a passport as Ron indicated, you can now even get a nifty wallet card passport. Even if you can't get the SP rating at the end (again "if" it's an unknown at this point and I'm not sure if there is any precedent as SP isn't old or popular enough for that info to have been disseminated yet, at least here), the training you have received will still stand you in good stead flying ultralights under Pt. 103.

I want to follow the rules, I'm in the country and pap taught dad and they flew over the fields and no one cared. As to my dui it was always after the school football games when we all hung out and the 2 cops in town knew it.

I'm very interested in ultra lights just might want a passenger

Yep, that's why they came up with SP. in reality, I have seen no mention in the SP regs regarding DUI history, and the FAA has taken a very 'hands off' position on everything to do with SP & LSA, so I suspect you will be fine when you get your regular license back, I just can't be sure because as I said, I lack information regarding precedent.

If you are very interested in ultralights, but would like to be able to take passengers, take a look at the Quicksilver MXII. I used to fly one on amphib floats, way much fun to fly, nice price.

Alright so I won't even go for it until I get my normal license back so I don't run into any problems with medical. One more question I can't get an answer for, can you have retractable
gear with a sport license because we have a huge lake and I hear you can't have retracts. I'm eying up the icon a5

Like you guys haven't ever drank and drove home even once in highschool, not getting drunk and saying, hey ya boys wanna go for a ride?? No one that even goes for something like this would be a drunk, well hopefully not. It happened, can't change it, but I'm not looking for a 747. I could build a kit exp 103 and be running into life flight at that alt but I'm trying to go just a bit beyond that.

I'm not judging you, I'm pointing out some facts here.

You have an alcohol problem. Anybody who gets arrested three times for DUI is either not in control of their alcohol use, or a very poor decision maker. Neither of those two choices is amenable to aviation.

Once can be a fluke, twice can be (really) bad luck, three times is an obvious pattern. Your original post blaming it all on "bad friends" and your other post basically saying "everybody has done it" does not indicate you are taking full responsibility for your choices. You can't correct this pattern of behavior until you do that.

I'd be glad to have you as a pilot in anything you are qualified to fly, from a Quicksilver to a A380... But not until you get your alcohol issues under control. There have been a lot of alcohol-related fatalities in aviation, so the argument of "nobody would do that" rings hollow too.

Sorry to be "the bad guy" here, but somebody needs to say this stuff to you. I hope you figure it all out and get in the air.

Yeah, start training whenever but wait till you have the restriction removed before solo.

Doesn't seem like a big deal.

I realize the DUI system, lowering the limits, road blocks, etc are more about money then safety, that said just be sure you follow the FARs on drinking, 8hrs bottle to throttle, last place you want to be is at altitude as a low time pilot and buzzed, that sounds like a great way to end up lawn darting.

Last edited:
I want to follow the rules, I'm in the country and pap taught dad and they flew over the fields and no one cared. As to my dui it was always after the school football games when we all hung out and the 2 cops in town knew it.

Again...the circumstances, the cops, but not you. Never you.

How many times do you get busted after a football game before you get wise?

Yes sir iHening but you have to have a license to take someone with you, I'm checking out the mxII now

3 dude. Wanna talk **** or help me out? Don't look down on me, I bet someone in your family has done worse.

Alright so I won't even go for it until I get my normal license back so I don't run into any problems with medical. One more question I can't get an answer for, can you have retractable
gear with a sport license because we have a huge lake and I hear you can't have retracts. I'm eying up the icon a5

There is no "problem with medical", the problem is that there is a restriction on your DL for the interlock, and and restrictions for driving have to be met for flying as well. Since the the interlock is not available for the plane, you can not SOLO with that license. There is however no restriction on dual instruction, so even if you are going to go 103 in the end, you aren't really out anything because that dual time is still good training. An ultralight you teach yourself to fly. My buddy and I did when we were 16 (2 seat trainer ultralights didn't exist yet) and many others did as well, however, in retrospect, having some real training would have made things a lot safer.:lol:

3 dude. Wanna talk **** or help me out? Don't look down on me, I bet someone in your family has done worse.

I'm trying to help you out, but you don't want it. :mad2:

Others in this thread have told you how to get in the air. I'm trying to keep you alive.

Okay then, thank you for your support, if you really feel I have a problem then fly over and be my sponsor. I was young and dumb hanging out with idiots and an idiot girlfriend, I was used to the atmosphere and did the same, I grew up and found something I love more than hanging out at keg parties

LSAs have to have fixed gear except for amphibians and gliders.

You are going to have to start digging here at some point, might as well start now.

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:
(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than—
(i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or
(ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.
(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.
(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.
(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.
(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.
(8) A fixed or feathering propeller system if a powered glider.
(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.
(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.
(12) Fixed or retractable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

Being in the USA is not the same as being a US citizen. If you're not a US citizen, you have to go through the Alien Flight Student vetting process before your first lesson, and if you do that, the DUI will come up, although I have no idea how TSA (which is the agency handling the AFS, not the FAA) views that.

As for whether it will or will not matter when you are ready to solo, that's pretty much up to the flight school, but I think the FAA will be looking into it when you submit your Sport Pilot certificate application (FAA Form 8710-11) with your DL information on it. How that is likely to play out is a question you'd best ask Bruce.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back