Sport pilot question

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
First post here, wanting to learn. I have read that if one goes for a 1st 2nd or 3rd class medical and is denied then that person is not eligible to receive their sport pilot either. If someone already has their sport pilot license and they attempt and fail a FAA medical, then is their sport pilot revoked at that point? Also, can a sport pilot fly a Cessna 140,150 or 152? If it’s under the designated weight and since they are all single propeller aircraft? I would like to learn to fly a seaplane one day. Thank you

If someone already has their sport pilot license and they attempt and fail a FAA medical, then is their sport pilot revoked at that point?
Your sport pilot license is not revoked -- you still have the license. But you are not able to exercise its privileges until you pass an FAA medical. So you don't lose your license, but you're not allowed to fly once you fail a medical (or have one surrendered, suspended, or revoked), unless/until you go on to pass / obtain a new medical.

Also, can a sport pilot fly a Cessna 140,150 or 152? If it’s under the designated weight and since they are all single propeller aircraft? I would like to learn to fly a seaplane one day.
The weight that counts is the certificated max takeoff weight, not the weight that the aircraft happens to have that day. I don't believe any of those Cessnas qualify, though there are a few older planes that do (I believe a Piper Cub and an Ercoupe).

There is a slightly higher weight allowed for seaplanes (because obviously they require floats and other structure which have some weight) and there are seaplanes designed as LSAs. I'm not sure whether any "legacy" seaplanes count by virtue of certificated weight.

Your sport pilot license is not revoked -- you still have the license. But you are not able to exercise its privileges until you pass an FAA medical. So you don't lose your license, but you're not allowed to fly once you fail a medical (or have one surrendered, suspended, or revoked), unless/until you go on to pass / obtain a new medical.

The weight that counts is the certificated max takeoff weight, not the weight that the aircraft happens to have that day. I don't believe any of those Cessnas qualify, though there are a few older planes that do (I believe a Piper Cub and an Ercoupe).

There is a slightly higher weight allowed for seaplanes (because obviously they require floats and other structure which have some weight) and there are seaplanes designed as LSAs. I'm not sure whether any "legacy" seaplanes count by virtue of certificated weight.

i believe an Aeronca Champ also qualifies. but there are near constant rumors about the FAA expanding the universe of aircraft that meet the LSA standard.

to the OP...

don't take a medical exam until and unless you are certain you can pass. some AME (aviation medical examiners) will do a pre-exam conference with an applicant for that purpose before doing the official exam. otherwise you self-certify that you are medically fit and safe to fly. anything's possible once you're in the air but if you have a chronic condition...such as a history of recurring kidney stones, morbid obesity or uncontrolled hypertention...that might prevent you from flying safely then do some hard thinking before proceeding.

beyond that the training is very similar to the Private Certificate. ground school + exam, flight training, practical exam (oral and check-ride). your biggest problem may be finding a school or independent CFI that teaches the Sport program.

Good luck!

"Continuously since certification" is the phrase - 120's, 150's etc. were certified above the 1320 max and do not qualify.

Legacy seaplanes would include some Cubs and Champs on floats. Lots of experimental amateur built aircraft qualify as Light Sport with or without floats.
Also, S-LSA (or E-AB) amphibians such as a SeaRey and similar are available.

A Light Sport Aircraft is defined in FAA FAR.
FAR 61.303 speaks to the medical requirements for Sport Pilot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back