RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Interesting… Furloughs coming?

Can’t generate revenue if the engine issues grounds planes. I would have thought they would go out and lease a bunch more?

Name a worse passenger experience than Spirit.

One memorable Spirit flight several years ago included a screaming fit from the gate attendant over the intercom during the boarding process. Lovely.

And during Covis, the check-in staff's reading comprehension was so poor they rejected our test documents and we literally had to drive 2 hours back home and have the doctors insert NEGATIVE PCR in all caps onto the document and then back the next day to fly out. Thanks, but no thanks.

The few hundred extra to fly first class non-stop on Delta is well worth the money.

As the economy worsens, the 'value carriers' will be the first to go.

One memorable Spirit flight several years ago included a screaming fit from the gate attendant over the intercom during the boarding process. Lovely.

And during Covis, the check-in staff's reading comprehension was so poor they rejected our test documents and we literally had to drive 2 hours back home and have the doctors insert NEGATIVE PCR in all caps onto the document and then back the next day to fly out. Thanks, but no thanks.

The few hundred extra to fly first class non-stop on Delta is well worth the money.

Can't lean the seats back, tray tables too small, it's bad.

they’re waiting for the JetBlue takeover. I doubt the management cares much.

Name a worse passenger experience than Spirit….
Cmon Spirit is not so bad. I took this photo last time I flew Spirit:

IMG_0745.png

Just kidding, that’s a rural Nicaraguan bus, which has a better class of passengers and smells nicer than Spirit business class…seriously, life is too damn short to fly Spirit.

Last edited:

Lynx Air in Canada. I flew Spirit once from DFW to LAX and back with no issues. Flew Lynx in Canada last week it was so bad, I'll never do that again. The return flight was on Westjet and with the direct comparison to Lynx the day before, Westjet economy class felt like business class all of a sudden.

Lynx Air in Canada. I flew Spirit once from DFW to LAX and back with no issues. Flew Lynx in Canada last week it was so bad, I'll never do that again. The return flight was on Westjet and with the direct comparison to Lynx the day before, Westjet economy class felt like business class all of a sudden.
Is Bearskin still around? They flew culverts out of Sudbury, would have accepted being strapped to a wing to get out of there.

Allegiant.

Yet, Spirit's planes are typical full of passengers on almost every flight.

iu

I don't care for Spirit nor Frontier. The Frontier thing that gets me is everything is ala carte from carry on to checked to refreshments etc. And the price goes up the closer to flight time you are.

My wife, daughter and I flew to Philadelphia on Frontier a few years ago. Cheap fare. Until my daughter decided she need to check a bag the night before. Now the we were spending within a few $ of Southwest. And flight left MCO at 6:15AM so we showed up to check her bag at 4:15AM. Nobody showed up at the Frontier desk to check bags (and there was quite a line of folks at that point) until 5:30. 45 minutes to clear security at MCO (Orlando International) and get to the gate was a mad rush and I'm not sure if folks in the back of the line even had a chance.

Tried Frontier one more time, again round trip to Philadelphia from Orlando. I goofed the initial reservation date by one day. OK, my bad. But with change fees it was cheaper (by more than $150 per ticket) to just book the flight we wanted and leave the other tickets unused. And I'm sure they have data to show they make more money that way but still...

John

I don't care for Spirit nor Frontier. The Frontier thing that gets me is everything is ala carte from carry on to checked to refreshments etc. And the price goes up the closer to flight time you are.

My wife, daughter and I flew to Philadelphia on Frontier a few years ago. Cheap fare. Until my daughter decided she need to check a bag the night before. Now the we were spending within a few $ of Southwest. And flight left MCO at 6:15AM so we showed up to check her bag at 4:15AM. Nobody showed up at the Frontier desk to check bags (and there was quite a line of folks at that point) until 5:30. 45 minutes to clear security at MCO (Orlando International) and get to the gate was a mad rush and I'm not sure if folks in the back of the line even had a chance.

Tried Frontier one more time, again round trip to Philadelphia from Orlando. I goofed the initial reservation date by one day. OK, my bad. But with change fees it was cheaper (by more than $150 per ticket) to just book the flight we wanted and leave the other tickets unused. And I'm sure they have data to show they make more money that way but still...

John
Allegiant is the one I have flown the most, of the supposedly low cost carriers. They charge extra for carry-on bags, seat selection, and everything else. I’m sure that, if the plane lost cabin pressure, a credit card reader would be deployed so you could pay another $25 to use the oxygen mask.

I have also seen in the last 24 hours FedEx is advising their pilots to expect minimum schedules for the foreseeable future, and encouraging them to apply at PSA via a crossover program they have setup. Is the pilot shortage coming to an end?

I will fly Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant in order to avoid a connecting flight. I will put up with 2 hours on one of their planes rather than 2 flights to and from a hub with a layover (long or short, don’t care for it). I don’t care if I have goats and chickens next to me in the last seat by the commode, lol. 2 hours of misery is over faster than the alternative. Indy is my departure city and I usually will have to connect at a hub. Screw that.

Yap, there goes the screaming staff, again. Seems you cannot get a job if you’re not shouting these days, wonder who the idiot bosses are. Hope they get one handed to them for disrupting the peace.

Somewhere I heard a rumor that the discount airlines are actually a really sneaky plot to completely eliminate the threat of terrorist attack. The theory being that the passengers end up being so angry, so wound up from the experience that if they detected even a possible terrorist, they would use it as an excuse to tear that person limb from limb and stuff the resultant parts into the possibly functioning toilet. Hey, with a regional this may have happened already, and just not have been reported. :)

Just humor, but I think this one would be labeled "plausible".

I thought FedEx / UPS were the holy grail? More set schedules similar pay and no passengers?

I thought folks wanted to get there.

Why would they go to PSA enroute to AAL? Honest question from a guy who missed the dream.

Why would they go to PSA enroute to AAL? Honest question from a guy who missed the dream.
Because it beats not having a job. The CEO said they're hoping that there are pilots in their ranks who would rather be flying passengers, and they can reduce headcount voluntarily.

Last edited:
I flew Frontier once. Was the only direct flight on short notice. All I had was a carry on so it worked out.

The best part about that was while waiting to board, a gentleman in an earlier boarding group apparently can't read a tape measure or didn't own one. I saw his carry on, it clearly wasn't going to fit. I knew it. The gate agent knew it. Heck, the 6 year old from the family sitting across from me knew it. After 8 trips of taking clothes out, rechecking the bag, and now wearing several layers. He was looking like Ralphie from A Christmas Story, and it wasn't just me laughing hysterically. I was struggling to contain myself after trip 2. I think he finally ended up paying the fee.

Allegiant is the one I have flown the most, of the supposedly low cost carriers. They charge extra for carry-on bags, seat selection, and everything else. I’m sure that, if the plane lost cabin pressure, a credit card reader would be deployed so you could pay another $25 to use the oxygen mask.
I used to work at allegiant. It’s $100.

I flew Frontier once. Was the only direct flight on short notice. All I had was a carry on so it worked out.

The best part about that was while waiting to board, a gentleman in an earlier boarding group apparently can't read a tape measure or didn't own one. I saw his carry on, it clearly wasn't going to fit. I knew it. The gate agent knew it. Heck, the 6 year old from the family sitting across from me knew it. After 8 trips of taking clothes out, rechecking the bag, and now wearing several layers. He was looking like Ralphie from A Christmas Story, and it wasn't just me laughing hysterically. I was struggling to contain myself after trip 2. I think he finally ended up paying the fee.
On my one, and hopefully only experience with Spirt a month ago (MSP --> ATL) ...

> Standing in the boarding line. Carry on of the guy in front of me was a clear garbage bag of clothes. Yes, underwear was visible.

> At pushback time there was a guy in the bathroom but wouldn't come out. Flight attendant knocked three time then resorted to forcibly opening the door at which time it was quickly slammed shut by the occupant. He finally came out a minute later and sat in his seat right behind me. There was absolutely no doubt this guy was already flying in the flight levels. Flight attendant said he had to disembark. He didn't budge and became belligerent. Captain delayed the flight due to an "uncooperative passenger". Took 45 minutes to get this guy off the plane.

> And the cherry on the top was we had to do a go around on the way in to ATL.

Going Spirt was more of an "experiment" for me - I just wanted to see what it was like. Now I know. Been there, done that, don't need to do it again.

I'm the only one I know who actually likes spirit. I hate their routings though, it never seems to align with my needs.

That big dumb seat upgrade is the best deal I know of in domestic. If they had the same routes I would take spirit over SWA every time.

Those early rumblings that began years ago about the P&W geared turbofan engine were not the end of the problems.

While this 2021 article documented the numerous and serious faults, it also pronounced the engine all good with the issues behind it. That has proven to be wildly incorrect.

Last edited:
Good ol NK. Nothing new. An army Company's worth of NK pax started up an outright riot back home (SJU), looking for the pilots. Crew had to barricade in the downstairs lounge until our underpaid's finest fuzz, la Policía de Puerto Rico, could come in there and start cracking skulls. Straight out of a Benghazi exfil op, the crew was advised to change into civies so they could be exfiled out of airport property. Spirit peeps don't eff around.

Though in fairness, them high-faluting legacies aren't immune from the ratchet accusation.
1699331073080.png
:rofl:

Back