Spinner split and peeled back during flight

BG841

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BG841
Spinner dome split and peeled back during flight

This was an interesting find while putting the cowl plugs in today. I haven't removed the spinner yet to find out what the heck happened, but I assume just a hairline crack that separated in flight? Hopefully nothing more sinister happened with my hub/prop. No noticeable change in flight characteristics today. My flight was 3.5 hours, so it had time to peel back like this.

Luckily Meyers uses parts from fairly standard planes - like a spinner from the ever popular Cessna 205 :mad2: Now to find a replacement.

I'll have to read the regs, but hopefully this is something covered in the owner maintenance category.

Attachments

• spinner.jpg
    spinner.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
This was an interesting find while putting the cowl plugs in today. I haven't removed the spinner yet to find out what the heck happened, but I assume just a hairline crack that separated in flight? Hopefully nothing more sinister happened with my hub/prop. No noticeable change in flight characteristics today. My flight was 3.5 hours, so it had time to peel back like this.

Luckily Meyers uses parts from fairly standard planes - like a spinner from the ever popular Cessna 205 :mad2: Now to find a replacement.

I'll have to read the regs, but hopefully this is something covered in the owner maintenance category.

WOW....

And you didn't notice any additional vibration ??:dunno:...:confused:

Nope, no vibration or anything noticeable. The plane is fairly new to me, so I am still monitoring it pretty closely during flight. Aside from a very brief period where I noticed my ipad mini vibrating on the yoke slightly more (I say slightly more because today was pretty turbulent) there was no indication this was happening.

maybe you will change your pre flight walk around inspection?

I see the screws are still on, wondering if the backing plate is gone too.

I've seen where spinner screws have been overtorqued causing cracks.

I don't see where replacing the spinner is listed under part 43 under preventive maintenance. But I would want the backing plate checked which would require the prop removal which will require at least an A&P.

I agree with BTIZ. The spinner is NOT an owner PM item. Further, you're lucky to get a replacement. Even a small crack in the spinner is generally UNREPAIRABLE.

Turns out the split was at a previously repaired part of the spinner. The opposite side was also repaired at some point in the past and was starting to crack - not yet visible through the paint.

At the risk of calling down the wrath of the "regulation quoters." I'm thinking replacement of the spinner DOME could be covered under preventive maintenance. The regs allow a pilot to remove "non-structural items," such as cover plates, cowlings and fairings - for lubrication purposes. If you happened to remove the spinner to grease the prop, and then installed another spinner . . .

Back