Spinner chrome

Marshall

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lee
I have a Cessna 206G with a 520 turbo and a MT prop, that I purchased with a fiber reinforced composite (Kevlar®), spinner. That had a chrome coating that was supplied from MT I understand.
It looked great for about 800 hrs and is peeling, and can see bubbles under chrome.
I beleive chrome was sprayed on.
MT no longer supplies "Chrome" spinners, and no old stock. Probably because they peel.
But....I would like to keep the look.
I was thinking of buying a new Primed Spinner from MT and have it "wrapped with Chrome Vinyl .
Anyone have experience with a " Vinyl Wrapped spinner ?
Not looking for a discussion of evils of " a none certified material.....

There is a commercially available paint process to achieve that look. A friend used it on his RV's spinner. Might check into that.

I have no knowledge of how a wrapped spinner would work.

Good luck.

It looked great for about 800 hrs and is peeling, and can see bubbles under chrome. I beleive chrome was sprayed on.
If I recall years ago Diamond aircraft with MT spinners had this same problem. Before you buy another spinner look around for a custom paint shop that likes to shoot chrome and metallic paints. The issue is the kevlar base which like other composites doesn't play well with those type paints. I think the vinyl chrome will not last as long and may give you other issues given that location. Another option would be to look into getting a custom spinner made from a different material to your specs?

Vinyl wraps have replaced paint in IndyCar, and it has proven to be durable and resistant to the impact of small particles of sand and other debris at speeds in excess of 200 MPH for extended periods. I haven't seen any evidence of the material debonding from the carbon fiber chassis and appurtenances at those speeds, even on the leading edges of front and rear wings on the cars.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be acceptable as a replacement for paint or plating on a spinner.

sand and other debris at speeds in excess of 200 MPH for extended periods
FYI: the issues I've seen with vinyl were rain related at those upper speeds. Seems in some cases the rain would slightly stretch the vinyl at impact leading to localized unbonding in the future.

FYI: the issues I've seen with vinyl were rain related at those upper speeds. Seems in some cases the rain would slightly stretch the vinyl at impact leading to localized unbonding in the future.

I haven't seen it in use on aircraft, so I'll defer to your experience. Thanks for the comment.

Back