Spin training in TX or the southwest

KyleT

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
1kilotango
Who offers spin training for a cfi sign off in tx or nm, co, az? Weather here has been horrible and I have been trying to get this done for 5 weeks now and we are about to be weathered in the next two weeks again with this next storm system. So I can make the trek out west if that's what it takes.

Looking for a little more than just 3 turns and done. And a chute is mandatory.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know of anybody that has a chute except probably Chandler Air Service. In Chandler AZ, they do aerobatics in a great lakes so they will have a chute. I could do it if you didn't require a chute, and for that reason......... I'm out.

sell me on not using a chute.

sell me on not using a chute.

If you do your spin training in a 150/152 it shouldn't even be called spin recovery. If you let go of the controls, the plane fixes itself. No need for a chute.

If you do your spin training in a 150/152 it shouldn't even be called spin recovery. If you let go of the controls, the plane fixes itself. No need for a chute.

Yea, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I want actual recovery training in a aerobatic aircraft.

Maybe I'm asking too much. I want to be safe, and trained for worst case scenarios.

Even better than spin training is upset training.

There is an outfit doing training out of Arlington (KGKY) that our senior FAAST Team rep can't say enough good things about. http://apstraining.com/texas/location/ Training is done in an Extra 300

Some airplanes the chute just isn't practical... If I was still in Boerne I'd say come do it in the Cub - sometimes you can borrow the chutes from the glider club.

Heard Nothing but good from aps except the price. But still doesn't help the weather.

Chute is one of those I would rather have and not need than need and not have. Wife is days from having a baby so that's why the extra precaution.

Heard Nothing but good from aps except the price. But still doesn't help the weather.

Chute is one of those I would rather have and not need than need and not have. Wife is days from having a baby so that's why the extra precaution.

I have done many spins in an aerobatic plane, all with a chute, because we also did lots of other aerobatic maneuvers. I don't blame you in the least for demanding a chute, there is always a chance of a flat spin. I would recommend to not only do spins, but a bunch of other maneuvers, like inverted flight, rolls, loops, hammerheads, etc. You'd definitely feel like a safer and more complete pilot when done, plus it's loads of fun.

One of our DPE's here in El Paso does spin training in his Citabria....

Not sure what he charges.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll check on his rates and availability.

Mike

I had a good experience doing it with Four Winds out of McKinney, TX in their Super D. You might also have some luck with Big Q Aviation in Midlothian. While I haven't done the spin training with them, I've done other training and have been favorably impressed. They have a Great Lakes and a Pitts that would be more than adequate.

I don't blame you in the least for demanding a chute, there is always a chance of a flat spin.

That is not really true, and might only spook folks. A flat spin is just another spin mode in aerobatic airplanes. These airplanes must be forced flat. Even so, they recover just fine. Flat spins are intentional maneuvers in most airplanes that have been fully spin tested. You seem to be suggesting that there is always a chance for an accidental (unrecoverable) flat spin to develop from an intentional normal spin in whatever airplane you happen to be doing spins in. This is really not a concern. If there is a chance that whatever airplane you're flying could possibly enter an unrecoverable flat spin, then nobody has any business doing spins at all in something like that. If you or your instructor are unsure about this, I'd suggest finding an instructor who knows the spin characteristics of their airplane. If your instructor doesn't understand how spins can be flattened, then you might want to find another spin instructor. It's just not a concern in airplanes that are commonly spun. If you want to go do spins in a Bonanza with full tip tanks, all bets are off.

I'm not worried about a flat spin. I'm worried about structural or other failure.

And thank you all for the suggestions. I'm starting to work through them so we'll see what happens tomorrow when people are actually there. And keep me coming. I needed this done 5 weeks ago...

Last edited:
I had a good experience doing it with Four Winds out of McKinney, TX in their Super D. You might also have some luck with Big Q Aviation in Midlothian. While I haven't done the spin training with them, I've done other training and have been favorably impressed. They have a Great Lakes and a Pitts that would be more than adequate.
Big Q can do it and has chutes. At KJWY.

I have done many spins in an aerobatic plane, all with a chute, because we also did lots of other aerobatic maneuvers. I don't blame you in the least for demanding a chute, there is always a chance of a flat spin.

As long as your name is Maverick and not Goose, things should be OK:lol:

I'm not worried about a flat spin. I'm worried about structural or other failure.

And thank you all for the suggestions. I'm starting to work through them so we'll see what happens tomorrow when people are actually there. And keep me coming. I needed this done 5 weeks ago...

Structural failure at stall -spin speed in a Citabria?! You need to talk to a good CFI who does this training! It should enter the spin at around 40 mph, recover around 55, maybe less. Hardly any stress whatsoever. Less than a rough landing for sure.

Just got to thinking about something. Are you going to wear a chute during every lesson you give while teaching stalls too. When a student puts you into a spin you wouldn't want there to be structural damage then.
I'm just saying this because I had a student get us upside down. I let him take it that far because he refused to recover from stalls using rudder. The next stall series went great once he realized why I kept telling him to use his feet and keep it coordinated.

You don't really have to be worried about structural failure unless you do something really wrong.

Which is highly unlikely unless the CFI is really a dolt. In a stall spin the airplane is going so slow it won't even fly until you lower the nose and recover it!

Anyone in a 172/150/152 should be able to do it, I wouldn't bother with a chute, just make sure you're ok on CofG.

If you can't un-spin a 172 or 152.....

Last edited:
Which is highly unlikely unless the CFI is really a dolt. In a stall spin the airplane is going so slow it won't even fly until you lower the nose and recover it!
The spin training was the most fun I had flying. I really enjoyed it.

Wanted to update this.

After nearly 2 months of bad weather I finally decided to just do the ride in a 152. It was very much a non event.

I prepared by reading several books, but he most influencing was surviving spins by Fred Delacerda.

All in all, sometimes the unknown is more frightening than it needs to be. I was with a very experienced instructor and never felt unsafe or that it could be dangerous.

I do want to do actual upset recovery and intro aerobatics now though.

Back