Spin Training...busted bravo

• Thread starter spin training guy
  • Start date
S

spin training guy

So a few months ago I was going out with a CFI I hadn't flown with before, in an aircraft type I hadn't flown in quite some time (2 years?) to get my spin awareness endorsement. We both typically fly G1000 aircraft, however we were flying a different type in order to be in the "Utility Category" needed for the maneuver which was not G1000 equipped.

We hadn't realized it at the time, but there was a pretty nasty Magnetic Compass error in the aircraft which was about 30 to the west of actual heading (seemed real obvious on taxi back, but neither of us noticed it during preflight). Being we didn't have the huge MFD in our face we were sorta reliant on preplanned headings to steer us clear from the Bravo shelf above us as we climbed up. Not to mention I had some nerves heading into the training as I suppose some people have before spin training so my mind was a bit preoccupied and perhaps a bit too reliant on the CFIs situational awareness as we flew out and prepared.

On climb out the CFI told me to take a 360 heading up to 6500 (which would've steered us well clear of the shelf had we not actually been flying something more like 330 due to the compass issue), however I remember feeling out of place where we were. I eventually realized something was off with our location when I saw an airport in front of us from a perspective I have never seen (we were too far west and too high...in the bravo). I quickly asked "hey is that so-and-so airport over there" to which he said "No it Cant be!". Then I saw the instructor quickly checked his foreflight and had me turn to the east, and I don't think he had realized I noticed we busted at the time (although it was my query about our location that triggered it).

We did our spins, felt good about them actually and was heading back when he told me that we busted earlier in the flight. I should mention we were monitoring the approach control but weren't speaking to them for the flight so we were just a 1200 blip on their screens and ATC didn't bother to make contact with us. It was early morning, and we only just skirted the edge of the airspace for a minute or two...so no real traffic issues or danger at hand.

We got back to home base, landed, switched to ground and that when we got the "We have a number for you, approach wants to talk to you, advise when ready to copy". We nervously copied and taxied back then called approach back at the flight school.

They were actually super friendly and just said to be more careful and that they wanted to make sure we were aware of what happened. It was like we got a controller and we told them why we were calling, and they said "oh yeah....that was you, the manager just wanted to make sure you knew that you were in the airspace with out clearance and to be more vigilant in the future". We asked if there was anything else they needed from us (we were surprised that there wasn't more...trouble for us). But the controller said no and to have a nice day so we didn't protest, apologized and thanked them.

An ASRS report was filed afterwards on my end, and its been a couple of months since the event and nothing else has come of it. Wanted to share this with others to be especially careful when in unfamiliar aircraft and/or unusual/uncomfortable situations where you may be distracted. On a normal day I would have (and I assume the instructor as well) never ever flown in that direction at that altitude knowingly! Its the kind of thing you read about with human factors, but it was eye opening to have it happen first hand.

Also curious if others have had similar airspace violation incidents, where the controllers were generally forgiving and understanding. You hear the "copy a number" thing and you assume that your cert is toast, but that wasn't my experience given the circumstances. I'm sure had we blatantly flew through the middle of the airspace, or interfered with other traffic things would've been different.

I'm hoping between the seemingly positive phone call that didn't indicate any further action would be taken against us, the NASA report, and the time that has lapsed since the incident that nothing else will come of this other than a learning experience.

Had you caused a controller not to maintain aircraft separation it would have been a different call. I have heard the FAA violates a bunch of low time CFIs in Miami Bravo each year.

Honestly, if a CFI can’t navigate by pilotage to and from the training area and know his/her location on training flights they don’t have the skills/knowledge required for the certificate. A 30° ground track error should have been quite obvious to your CFI based on landmarks and he needed to insure he was over and remained over the planned training area.

If he doesn’t have situational awareness and recognize the landmarks, how does he expect the student to recognize them during solo?

Last edited:
Had you caused a controller not to maintain aircraft separation it would have been a different call. I have heard the FAA violates a bunch of low time CFIs in Miami Bravo each year.

Honestly, if a CFI can’t navigate by pilotage to and from the training area and know his/her location on training flights they don’t have the skills/knowledge required for the certificate. A 30° ground track error should have been quite obvious to your CFI based on landmarks and he needed to insure he was over and remained over the planned training area.

If he doesn’t have situational awareness and recognize the landmarks, how does he expect the student to recognize them during solo?
What’s it like to be infallible? Is it a lot of pressure, or does it just come naturally?

What’s it like to be infallible? Is it a lot of pressure, or does it just come naturally?
Sorry, but I'm agreeing with Clip4...330 vs 360 is a pretty big difference! Were they both flying out of an unfamiliar field in an area far from home? Most roads (unless it was mountainous) go N S or E W...they didn't notice they were going diagonally to the roads even???

That's just "heads so far up rear ends" that I can't imagine...

Yeah it was a large ground track error, which as I said had noticed pretty quickly that something was off given the unfamiliar vantage point. This all happened probably within 5 mins from take off, to clipping the airspace and quickly turning out.

And yes I do take responsibility for what had happened, I was certainly mentally preoccupied with the task at hand and was perhaps letting my guard down and trusting the CFI for those few moments.

As i said the combo of unfamiliar aircraft/avionics for both of us, along with some stress on my part certainly seemed to align the swiss cheese holes in the situation. Lucky we didnt cause any conflicts and it seems that there is no further action on the FAA side of things as well.

These things happen. All the time. CFI or not, you can end up focusing on the wrong thing and get turned around or otherwise screw up. No one is immune.

My biggest was departing North Little Rock (KORK) in an open cockpit biplane I was ferrying from Phoenix back to E TN.

51296755034_bd45a41054_z.jpg

Sectionals were unmanageable due to wind in the cockpit, so I was using a Garmin handheld to navigate and stay below Little Rock’s Class C. Which I managed perfectly! Until I saw I was coming up on some really long runways. OOPS! I had blundered into Little Rock AFB’s Class C/D airspace. Seems so obvious in retrospect. I boogied eastbound and got clear and filed a NASA report when I got home. Never heard a word about it.

These things happen. All the time. CFI or not, you can end up focusing on the wrong thing and get turned around or otherwise screw up. No one is immune.

My biggest was departing North Little Rock (KORK) in an open cockpit biplane I was ferrying from Phoenix back to E TN.

51296755034_bd45a41054_z.jpg

Sectionals were unmanageable due to wind in the cockpit, so I was using a Garmin handheld to navigate and stay below Little Rock’s Class C. Which I managed perfectly! Until I saw I was coming up on some really long runways. OOPS! I had blundered into Little Rock AFB’s Class C/D airspace. Seems so obvious in retrospect. I boogied eastbound and got clear and filed a NASA report when I got home. Never heard a word about it.
How long before the citizens have the name of the Little Rock airport changed? Didn’t she change her residence to NY?

When you get used to glass, or even an oldschool 55A fluxgate HSI, one forgets to occasionally check the DG to the whiskey compass. We're in the shop now having the 55A replaced, but for the last year it has not been all that reliable. Sometimes when you fire up the avionics is slaves perfectly and is right on with the compass. Other times it's at some bizarre heading, you unslave, swing the card around, re-slave, and then it stays good. Sometimes when you re-slaved it would start spinning back to the strange heading, and you'd have to leave it unslaved and use the push buttons during flight to be sure it was aligned with the compass. Automation is good until it isn't.

Glad that old thing is getting replaced, it did it's job well for about 38 years lol...

So you had foreflight but you were using a compass to navigate?

Avare is free for android and even on a cheap cell phone would have let you know you were in the Bravo.

Even a paper map with a pencil line would work.

So a few months ago I was going out with a CFI I hadn't flown with before, in an aircraft type I hadn't flown in quite some time (2 years?) to get my spin awareness endorsement. We both typically fly G1000 aircraft, however we were flying a different type in order to be in the "Utility Category" needed for the maneuver which was not G1000 equipped.

We hadn't realized it at the time, but there was a pretty nasty Magnetic Compass error in the aircraft which was about 30 to the west of actual heading (seemed real obvious on taxi back, but neither of us noticed it during preflight). Being we didn't have the huge MFD in our face we were sorta reliant on preplanned headings to steer us clear from the Bravo shelf above us as we climbed up. Not to mention I had some nerves heading into the training as I suppose some people have before spin training so my mind was a bit preoccupied and perhaps a bit too reliant on the CFIs situational awareness as we flew out and prepared.

On climb out the CFI told me to take a 360 heading up to 6500 (which would've steered us well clear of the shelf had we not actually been flying something more like 330 due to the compass issue), however I remember feeling out of place where we were. I eventually realized something was off with our location when I saw an airport in front of us from a perspective I have never seen (we were too far west and too high...in the bravo). I quickly asked "hey is that so-and-so airport over there" to which he said "No it Cant be!". Then I saw the instructor quickly checked his foreflight and had me turn to the east, and I don't think he had realized I noticed we busted at the time (although it was my query about our location that triggered it).

We did our spins, felt good about them actually and was heading back when he told me that we busted earlier in the flight. I should mention we were monitoring the approach control but weren't speaking to them for the flight so we were just a 1200 blip on their screens and ATC didn't bother to make contact with us. It was early morning, and we only just skirted the edge of the airspace for a minute or two...so no real traffic issues or danger at hand.

We got back to home base, landed, switched to ground and that when we got the "We have a number for you, approach wants to talk to you, advise when ready to copy". We nervously copied and taxied back then called approach back at the flight school.

They were actually super friendly and just said to be more careful and that they wanted to make sure we were aware of what happened. It was like we got a controller and we told them why we were calling, and they said "oh yeah....that was you, the manager just wanted to make sure you knew that you were in the airspace with out clearance and to be more vigilant in the future". We asked if there was anything else they needed from us (we were surprised that there wasn't more...trouble for us). But the controller said no and to have a nice day so we didn't protest, apologized and thanked them.

An ASRS report was filed afterwards on my end, and its been a couple of months since the event and nothing else has come of it. Wanted to share this with others to be especially careful when in unfamiliar aircraft and/or unusual/uncomfortable situations where you may be distracted. On a normal day I would have (and I assume the instructor as well) never ever flown in that direction at that altitude knowingly! Its the kind of thing you read about with human factors, but it was eye opening to have it happen first hand.

Also curious if others have had similar airspace violation incidents, where the controllers were generally forgiving and understanding. You hear the "copy a number" thing and you assume that your cert is toast, but that wasn't my experience given the circumstances. I'm sure had we blatantly flew through the middle of the airspace, or interfered with other traffic things would've been different.

I'm hoping between the seemingly positive phone call that didn't indicate any further action would be taken against us, the NASA report, and the time that has lapsed since the incident that nothing else will come of this other than a learning experience.

Betcha you’ll never not compare yer compass to runway/taxiway headings again on the way out. That’s a lot of error, 30 degrees. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was it a whiskey compass or one them vertical card ones?

When you get used to glass, or even an oldschool 55A fluxgate HSI, one forgets to occasionally check the DG to the whiskey compass. We're in the shop now having the 55A replaced, but for the last year it has not been all that reliable. Sometimes when you fire up the avionics is slaves perfectly and is right on with the compass. Other times it's at some bizarre heading, you unslave, swing the card around, re-slave, and then it stays good. Sometimes when you re-slaved it would start spinning back to the strange heading, and you'd have to leave it unslaved and use the push buttons during flight to be sure it was aligned with the compass. Automation is good until it isn't.

Glad that old thing is getting replaced, it did it's job well for about 38 years lol...

Betcha you’ll never not compare yer compass to runway/taxiway headings again on the way out. That’s a lot of error, 30 degrees. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Was it a whiskey compass or one them vertical card ones?

That's where I first found out the 55A was starting to fail. Lined up on 21, whiskey compass at 210, check, whoa, what the hell is that? The HSI is at 94 degrees? Pulled back off of the runway and sorted it out.

So you had foreflight but you were using a compass to navigate?

Avare is free for android and even on a cheap cell phone would have let you know you were in the Bravo.

Even a paper map with a pencil line would work.

Spin training so I was traveling light. Headset and checklist (no ipad, not to mention different avionics altogether). CFI had his cellphone on him. But yes we were using the instrumentation in the aircraft as primary navigation and looking outside, not looking down at the CFIs cell phone to avoid what shouldve been an easy circumnavigation of familiar airspace. It was certainly a blunder and perhaps complacent to assume a heading alone would cover our asses enough to miss the Bravo. But having the cellphone was obviously handy as after the visual observation that our location seemed “off” it provided us with immediate feedback about our location.

Overall I agree it was a dumb mistake obviously or I wouldn't be sharing here. When departing in that direction, we usually have a visual landmark to the east that gets you to the practice area and steers clear of the bravo. I think the CFIs thinking was lets not go directly to the usual practice area as it’s SUPER busy and probably dangerous to be doing spins with 10 other planes maneuvering around us. So we didn't fly to that land mark but rather a little west. Unfortunately it was a little TOO west in our case.

I think my mistake (And another lesson) was I sorta fell into that Co-Pilot vs Captain mentality thats caused many horrible incidents and accidents over the years. Where the first officer (me the student in this case) places a sort of blind faith in the captain (the CFI) when in an unusual situation. Had this been the usual plane, my usual CFI, doing a usual training flight I think I wouldve questioned our not going directly to the usual practice area and our heading right away. Instead I relied on his judgement figuring “hes done this spin training before so Ill do what he says”. After a minute or two i realized we had to be in the airspace so I spoke up. A little scary to think how long And how much further we could have ventured into it had I not realized when I did. Another question is, where does this guy usually bring people, and why was it different that day.

Definite lesson learned. Pilots much more experienced than I have made similar and more significant mistakes in this sort of situation. Hopefully my account provides insight to others about how quickly an unfamiliar situation can lead to a mishap.

We asked if there was anything else they needed from us (we were surprised that there wasn't more...trouble for us). But the controller said no and to have a nice day so we didn't protest, apologized and thanked them.

A) If you ever have anything like this happen in the future, do NOT ask questions like that. Remember the kid in school who used to remind the teacher he/she forgot to give you homework? Yeah, that's what you're doing there.

B) Sounds like the CFI (and perhaps you) simply got too complacent with respect to situational awareness. It happens (though it shouldn't). You're very lucky it ended with nothing more than a gentle reminder from ATC, and it's a good lesson that you hopefully won't forgot. With all of the technology we have now, there's zero reason that you should be navigating near Class B or other controlled-entry airspace using nothing but a compass. If you're just out screwing around in the middle of nowhere, fine, enjoy the simple flying of no screens. Navigating busy airspace? That's just being foolish.

thats for sure! Whiskey compass with a tradition gyro heading indicator (which is only as good as the whiskey compass...)

Flying a G1000 makes life too easy and the difference in operation can cause a level of complacency that is inappropriate on other equipment. The magnetometer system is pretty accurate and the HSI obviously doesnt require the pilot to sync with the compass frequently.

There I was thinking I was being a good pilot by continually syncing the HI to the compass, without realizing the compass was way off in the first place. I think we realized it was off after we saw the satellite airport under the bravo ahead of us. But yeah when on the ramp and parallel to the runway it was shocking to see it like 20-30 degrees off runway heading.
As you said, not a mistake Ill make again.

That’s a description of exactly what my 55A did. Was workin fine when I bought the plane. Somewhere between Florida and California it started going psycho on me. Like bipolar. Work fine for awhile and then all a sudden it would freak out. Then be fine for awhile, then.....I ended up buyin a new gyro. Not cheap.

A) If you ever have anything like this happen in the future, do NOT ask questions like that. Remember the kid in school who used to remind the teacher he/she forgot to give you homework? Yeah, that's what you're doing there.

B) Sounds like the CFI (and perhaps you) simply got too complacent with respect to situational awareness. It happens (though it shouldn't). You're very lucky it ended with nothing more than a gentle reminder from ATC, and it's a good lesson that you hopefully won't forgot. With all of the technology we have now, there's zero reason that you should be navigating near Class B or other controlled-entry airspace using nothing but a compass. If you're just out screwing around in the middle of nowhere, fine, enjoy the simple flying of no screens. Navigating busy airspace? That's just being foolish.

Definitely to all of the above. As Ive posted here before it wasn’t necessarily nav by the mag compass alone. But it The heading indicator is only as good as the compass. I guess the CFI has done this flight before and just knew that the supposed 360 heading gave plenty of buffer between the bravo to the west and the busy practice area to the east. When the Mag has that much error, and you mix complacency with that it can be dangerous.

I mean we wouldnt have overflown the satellite airport that I noticed was beneath the bravo to do maneuvers, so i guess the CFI was planning to turn east eventually. But had I not spoken up Im not sure if he wouldve even realized where he put us with the heading. I had my initial moment of following the leader, until i realized something was off.

i think what saved our ass was A) the time of day and lack of bravo traffic for us to get in the way of and B) the fact we merely clipped it for a few mins.

Going from advanced avionics to traditional requires a more from the pilot in terms of SA when you don’t have the big MFD map, and magnetometers to help you.

and yes, just shut up, apologize and get off the phone asap!

I have to say a CFI flying out of the same airport day after day should know how to navigate the area without a GPS, even a sectional. It’s like needing to put on a GPS to drive to work everyday because you might get lost.

I have to say a CFI flying out of the same airport day after day should know how to navigate the area without a GPS, even a sectional. It’s like needing to put on a GPS to drive to work everyday because you might get lost.
Of course they should. But sometimes when distracted by other things like instruction you get 30 degrees off course and don’t notice. If you’re a mere mortal.

Of course they should. But sometimes when distracted by other things like instruction you get 30 degrees off course and don’t notice. If you’re a mere mortal.

I instruct multiple flights a week. I have never got confused or lost leaving the airport area. I know where the areas are that I need to pay more attention to location. Under a B shelf, not far laterally from a C, and a,OT of traffic inbound and outbound.

I instruct multiple flights a week. I have never got confused or lost leaving the airport area.

Yet.

Pride goeth before a fall.

Human psychology makes it all too easy to fall victim to distraction or confirmation bias or a combination of the two. Add in fatigue, and these things happen despite our best intentions.

Good news is in thousands of hours of instructing I’ve never had a screwup - and there have been more than a few - result in a violation, or worse, an accident. But I’m aware of the possibility that it could happen on my next flight. So I’m vigilant, and not complacent.

Last edited:

Who was PIC?

I instruct multiple flights a week. I have never got confused or lost leaving the airport area. I know where the areas are that I need to pay more attention to location. Under a B shelf, not far laterally from a C, and a,OT of traffic inbound and outbound.
I’m not saying it’s a great thing, but it can happen.

Yet.

Pride goeth before a fall.

Human psychology makes it all to easy to fall victim to distraction or confirmation bias or a combination of the two. Add in fatigue, and these things happen despite our best intentions.

Good news is in thousands of hours of instructing I’ve never had a screwup - and there have been more than a few - result in a violation, or worse, an accident. But I’m aware of the possibility that it could happen on my next flight. So I’m vigilant, and not complacent.

This right here folks!

Can happen to anyone. No one “means” to bust airspace (I’d hope). I feel like one different factor alone may not be enough to cause an error like this. But life isn’t that simple, and there’s always many things at play when something like this happens. That “swiss cheese” model comes to mind, where every now and then all these factors may line up in such a way that something goes wrong.

Things happen to people with relatively low hours like myself, as well as to highly experienced captains alike, and I feel like it’s never as obvious as someone just becoming stupid overnight.

It’s nothing that we aren’t already taught, but be extra vigilant when situations out of the norm arise, and don’t like complacency take hold. Its a scary thing because to become complacent with a situation, likely means you aren’t even aware of your complacency in the first place

Who was PIC?

Well, both of us I suppose if were being technical. While I was physically flying, I can’t give myself Spin Training so the CFI would be logging PIC as well.

If push comes to shove I suspect I was the one flying so it’d be my headache, so with CFIs in the future (and I normally am anyway but there were some circumstances that led to me “letting my guard down” when I shouldn’t have) I ought to fly like its my ass on the line!

Well, both of us I suppose if were being technical. While I was physically flying, I can’t give myself Spin Training so the CFI would be logging PIC as well.

If push comes to shove I suspect I was the one flying so it’d be my headache, so with CFIs in the future (and I normally am anyway but there were some circumstances that led to me “letting my guard down” when I shouldn’t have) I ought to fly like its my ass on the line!
Doesn’t matter who was logging PIC…who was acting as PIC?

I answered who was doing the flying (acting) in the exact post you quoted. Unless Im missing something lol.

I think the point is, you can be sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated, and hence can log PIC time regardless. But there should be some sort of agreement with a flight instructor as to who is the acting PIC, for cases just like this one.

I answered who was doing the flying (acting) in the exact post you quoted. Unless Im missing something lol.
Who was doing the flying has very little to do with who’s acting as PIC. As @FastEddieB indicated, you should know who’s acting as PIC before getting in the airplane.

if push came to shove, more than likely the FAA would pick the instructor barring evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm agreeing with Clip4...330 vs 360 is a pretty big difference! Were they both flying out of an unfamiliar field in an area far from home? Most roads (unless it was mountainous) go N S or E W...they didn't notice they were going diagonally to the roads even???

That's just "heads so far up rear ends" that I can't imagine...
Most roads in the mid-west and west go N-S, but not in the rest of the country/world.

Why all the nitpicks? This is the "Lessons Learned" forum after all. The dude transgressed, he admitted it and was sharing it so others may learn. He certainly wasn't the first to do something like this and definitely won't be the last...

Yes exactly! I made a goof wanted to share so others don’t make the same goof. Just wanted to do my tiny small bit to help raise awareness. Wasn’t trying to make excuses, just explain the factors that made what seems to be such an avoidable blunder, happen. Stuff happens to students and pros alike by accident, but learning from other’s experiences is how we all become better!

As a CFI you can’t allow yourself this instruction distraction. If you do you end up with a near mid air, an ATC altitude/heading bust or an airspace violation……. Safety is job 1.

The student and the CFI are a team. The fact they both missed what was occurring was a huge failure of CRM.

The student and the CFI are a team. The fact they both missed what was occurring was a huge failure of CRM.

Of course it was. Humans fail sometimes.

It does happen, but should not happen.
The fact that it caused no loss of separation was luck, not anything the pilot did.

Inexcusable imo. Yes, it could happen to me, and it would still be inexcusable.
A local area instructor…???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back