Spiders, Oh God the Spiders

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
It's summertime in Arkansas and that means 6 months of happy flying with our friendly neighborhood spiders.

Anyone know how to get spiders out of an aircraft? I am tired of getting bit or spun into a web during a long night x/c. We can kill all the ones we see and in the time it takes to fuel there's countless more.

On a normal flight I'll count about two dozen or so hanging out in just the front of the plane. Not to mention all the ones we find in the pitot tubes, air vents and fuel vents.

The planes are all kept outside under a shade hanger.

you get BIT, like, regularly?!? what kind of spiders don't like flying in airplanes?

Try sulphur dust? We never had spider problems, but it sure helped with ticks in the yard. I used to use the "Chinese Spider Chalk", but that crap was hard core toxic; worked though, draw a circle around your plane and they won't cross it.

I used to use the "Chinese Spider Chalk", but that crap was hard core toxic; worked though, draw a circle around your plane and they won't cross it.

Sounds like a black magic ritual...:hairraise: :D

I would lightly fog the airplane with an insecticide (yes I know they are arachnids but it will work). Not so much you are making the surfaces wet, it doesn't take that much.
Do it upon leaving the airplane and before preflight (close doors up for 10 mins) then air it out before you leave.
Sulfur can oxidize many metals, I would not want that on my airframe. I have sprayed my insecticide on an Al sample, nothing noticed; still shiny alclad.

On second thought let some flies loose in the plane, that will keep the spiders busy :D

IIRC, spiders don't like certain kind of chemicals (no, I am not being a smart-aleck here :) ) but what I cannot remember is whether it is just any soap or a specific brand (I know that the Irish Spring c*ap does deter them). There have been many threads on deterring spiders.
I recommend you search here or google it, there is a good answer out there somewhere.

At least you don't have black widows in your plane! I think in that situation, I'd choose: "Exterminate, Eradicate, Eliminate and then Aviate, Navigate, Communicate". Without the first 3, there won't be the other 3.

I don't think exec jet has spider problems, so this should be a self correcting problem, quo no?

Wait, it just made my synapses snap ... well barely.
How about some pitot tube covers? ;)

We just got some in the last month. So that should solve that problem.

Only one way for sure

That would work but might leave us glowing for bit!

Try a couple Green Anoles - one on the glareshield and one in baggage. Google the little buggers.

I use to keep one as a pet growing up. We have them all over at my parents house.

I hate spiders. I could not imagine having them all over my airplane. I would definitely exterminate the airplane if it were me. What type of spiders are they? show us a picture.

DVDP-impregnated resin strips would probably do it. It's pretty toxic stuff, though.

Rich

Which chemicals won't cause corrosion, damage paint, rubber, vinyls, nylon, acrylic etc?

Actually...

Have you tried simply parking the airplane in the hot sun all day? Arthropods are pretty sensitive to heat. If you can get the internal temperature over 117 F for a few hours, I suspect anything six- or eight-legged inside would either leave or die.

Rich

Some kind of lizard, they'll eat the things and leave little residue. Either that, or get a proper hangar with a door that closes.

It may get cold here, but at least the winter kills off the damn bugs.

Some kind of lizard, they'll eat the things and leave little residue. Either that, or get a proper hangar with a door that closes.

It may get cold here, but at least the winter kills off the damn bugs.

Lizards are great, I usually have 3 in my room.

Back