Speeding Ticket

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Hey guys. Looks like I got my first ticket today - ended up finding a school zone with a 25 mph limit and I was doing 38 mph in what was 40 mph otherwise. Knowing that almost any advice given is obviously not professional legal advice, what do I do about it? I got a ticket with no amount on it and was told to call at the least 5 days from now to see.

Things that I'm considering bringing up that may or may not help:

• First Ticket at 23

• Unfamiliar with the area

• Passed a school maybe 1.5-2 miles before that and saw the signs and slowed down, I didn't expect a second one so soon

• Was doing 38 in a 40 in the first place, if I'd seen a sign I would've slowed down.
Also according to google, going 14mph over the limit carries a heavier penalty than going 1-13 mph over - fortunately I was under the speed limit of 40 in the first place or else I'd have even more to worry about.

Reading online, I'm considering going to the court meeting and pleading guilty with an explanation of these things. I admit I was doing the 38mph in the 25, I just didn't see it coming. Not really an excuse to go breaking the speed limit but I haven't been that way very often.

Last edited:
Well, you could pay it and move on with life, since it's a minor infraction and not something I would waste my time worrying about

---OR---

You could get a lawyer and let them deal with it. I can't imagine how this would be worth the money though since it's a minor infraction and your first one.

You could try talking to the county attorney (or whatever they are called in your area) and they might just strike you a deal where you pay the ticket and it stays off your record, etc.

If the CA won't work a deal with you, you could then take it to court, plead guilty since you've admitted online you were, and beg the judge for forgiveness. It might work.

Go to court, request defensive driving, Pay the court fee, pay for defensive driving.
You are done.

Edit: don't plead guilty. Plead no contest.

This is a non event.

Last edited:
You can always go to court, and if the ticketing officer is not there, contest it.

9 times out of 10 the judge will throw it out.

If the ticketing officer is there, you're toast. Just pay it and save your blood pressure.

My $.02

-First ticket at 23 after only 7 years of driving: nobody cares

-Unfamiliar with the area: street signs are universal, you weren't paying attention

-Passed a school before and didn't expect another one: er, seriously?

-Wouldn't have been speeding if the speed limit was still 40: So, you really weren't paying attention.

Something that is often in close proximity to those school zone signs is children. Claiming that you weren't paying attention and didn't see the sign will not get you anywhere in the court. Doing anything other than paying the fine is a complete waste of your time. Well, unless you want to be lectured in an open courtroom by a traffic judge. Even if the officer doesn't show up, which they will for the overtime pay, you will get the lecture from the judge for SPEEDING THROUGH A SCHOOL ZONE.

If your state does traffic school, do it. Contact the court for instructions, as mistakes can be unforgiving.

Otherwise, pay the fine and go on.

There is some middle ground, without attorney's & such. I'd look for the court date, then go to traffic court.

I had a ticket 6 or so years back where the cop made a mistake with the speed limit on that road, thought it was 30, but really was 35 at the lowest.

I screwed up by mentioning it before the court date. I ended up with a lower fine & no points for 'defective speedometer'. I normally take my punishment & move on.

If I would of played my part better it would of been thrown out.

It could be worse.... When I was 20 in the Marine Corps, I was traveling in NC to Cherry Point. It was raining and I didn't see the slower speed sign. The officer had me follow him to the jail because I didn't have the cash to pay the fine on the spot! It just didn't seem right.... And, I haven't been back to NC since!

My $.02

-Unfamiliar with the area: street signs are universal, you weren't paying attention

-Wouldn't have been speeding if the speed limit was still 40: So, you really weren't paying attention.

Something that is often in close proximity to those school zone signs is children. Claiming that you weren't paying attention and didn't see the sign will not get you anywhere in the court. Doing anything other than paying the fine is a complete waste of your time. Well, unless you want to be lectured in an open courtroom by a traffic judge. Even if the officer doesn't show up, which they will for the overtime pay, you will get the lecture from the judge for SPEEDING THROUGH A SCHOOL ZONE.

Well said...none of his arguments are an affirmative defense. I've heard drivers tell me they ran the red light because they weren't familiar with the area. I always say you don't have traffic signals where you're from? Sometimes they laugh, other times I get "the look".

What is your time worth to you? You can pay an atty $75 or so to get you the best deal you are going to get or you can waste a few hours of your time getting that deal yourself. I have gotten a lot of tickets in my day but had a job that allowed me to go to court on my own at no $$ penalty. Unless you have some actual defense (and none of the stuff you mention counts) then make your decision based on your time vs. the atty fee,

I don't know how things are in OK, but as others have said it sounds like you don't really have a case that is going to impress a judge. You could hire a lawyer, but that probably will cost almost as much as the ticket. Either just pay up or go in, plead no contest, and hope the judge lessens the fee/doesn't put in on your record. Where I live I know the "standard" deal for a first offense that is WAY over the speed limit is half the ticket plus court costs and one year probation in lieu of it going on your driving record.

My $.02

Well said...none of his arguments are an affirmative defense. I've heard drivers tell me they ran the red light because they weren't familiar with the area. I always say you don't have traffic signals where you're from? Sometimes they laugh, other times I get "the look".

Unless you have some actual defense (and none of the stuff you mention counts) then make your decision based on your time vs. the atty fee,

Fair enough, although I don't really claim that I have a defense. I did 38 through the 25 in the school zone. :dunno: I have driven through school areas before and I haven't been ticketed or stopped before, mostly because I saw them coming from a ways off. The fault is mine that I missed it and I'm not trying to say it's not.

I hit up google, which is full of message boards of people saying that you can ask for forgiveness and go on your merry way without paying the ticket or getting docked on your record, or asking for driving school as an alternative. I said it may or may not help and that's why I'm asking here.

I'm not some sort of career speeder who doesn't have any respect for the speed limit anywhere, and not especially in school zones. :rolleyes:

Hey guys. Looks like I got my first ticket today - ended up finding a school zone with a 25 mph limit and I was doing 38 mph in what was 40 mph otherwise. Knowing that almost any advice given is obviously not professional legal advice, what do I do about it? I got a ticket with no amount on it and was told to call at the least 5 days from now to see.

• First Ticket at 23

• Passed a school maybe 1.5-2 miles before that and saw the signs and slowed down, I didn't expect a second one so soon

• Was doing 38 in a 40 in the first place, if I'd seen a sign I would've slowed down.
Also according to google, going 14mph over the limit carries a heavier penalty than going 1-13 mph over - fortunately I was under the speed limit of 40 in the first place or else I'd have even more to worry about.

Reading online, I'm considering going to the court meeting and pleading guilty with an explanation of these things. I admit I was doing the 38mph in the 25, I just didn't see it coming. Not really an excuse to go breaking the speed limit but I haven't been that way very often.

Save yourself the time and grief. Pay it by mail. Then go sign up for traffic school and get the points shaved off.

I have no idea what OK laws are but in IL you can ask for court supervision. In that case you'd pay the fine plus extra fees and it stays off your driving record as long as you don't get another ticket within so many months.

Fair enough, although I don't really claim that I have a defense. I did 38 through the 25 in the school zone. :dunno: I have driven through school areas before and I haven't been ticketed or stopped before, mostly because I saw them coming from a ways off. The fault is mine that I missed it and I'm not trying to say it's not.

I hit up google, which is full of message boards of people saying that you can ask for forgiveness and go on your merry way without paying the ticket or getting docked on your record, or asking for driving school as an alternative. I said it may or may not help and that's why I'm asking here.

I'm not some sort of career speeder who doesn't have any respect for the speed limit anywhere, and not especially in school zones. :rolleyes:

In FL, the norm is no points and a somewhat reduced fine if you or your atty show up at a pretrial hearing. Probably no school for a first ticket but I don't know about that as my first ticket in FL was a very long time ago.

I have gotten tickets dismissed on technicalities if you want to go that route but it is a lot of work for a speeding ticket. I succeeded once where I piggy-backed on the presentation of a lawyer representing another person. The judge saw I had followed the logic of the lawyer before I even said a word and quickly dismissed my ticket so as to not mess up all the other cases waiting on the same speed trap. Another time the ticket was "malformed" and I got it dismissed.

My $.02

We have a new grade school near our house with NO speed zone. It's 40 mph all the way. When I asked the street department why they said they found there is no problems with normal speeds in schools zones. Weird huh?

OP pay the ticket. You were speeding. That is not me talking, that is the judge.

Go to court and ask the judge for leniency. Explain that you are normally a very safe driver and will gladly go to driving classes. Ask if he will defer judgement pending completion of the driving school. He may offer to do so and then dismiss the case after you complete school , leaving you with a clean driving record and no increased insurance costs. I have been to court numerous times since I drive about 90,000 miles a year and have for about 40 years. I have always found it worth my time to show up. I think the judge gets the idea that you are concerned about your liciense if you take the time to come to court. Besides the worst that will happen is he will convict you and fine you. If you pay the fine and do not go to court it will cost you the same and you will have a conviction on the record. It can only get better if you show up and behave properly and plead your case. You do not need a lawyer, you can do as well on your own.

Go to court. First of all, if the officer doesn't show up, the case is summarily dismissed. You walk out scott free. If he is there, simply explain you passed the school and thought it was back to 40. You'll probably get it dropped or reduced to something worth nothing.

Pay the ticket, move on with life. Nobody cares.

It could be worse.... When I was 20 in the Marine Corps, I was traveling in NC to Cherry Point. It was raining and I didn't see the slower speed sign. The officer had me follow him to the jail because I didn't have the cash to pay the fine on the spot! It just didn't seem right.... And, I haven't been back to NC since!

Either you just dated yourself, or you were in Cherry Point, Mexico.

OP- even if you show up and miraculously win the case, or hire an attorney who will find a way to win, you will probably have to pay 'court costs' anyhow. The court costs, at least in my experience , are 75% of the fee anyhow. Unless you really need to keep it off of your record, just pay the fee, or show up yourself. The lawyer won't be worth it.

I have a lawyer on retainer. Speeding ticket, he got it reduced to a parking ticket, (special session for lawyers in traffic court),no points against the driver and no traffic school. Pay the fine and move on.

Be sure to tell them how safety oriented you are and about your multiple degrees in aviation safety. That will surely impress 'em.

Go to court,

I read a article a while back about an NTSB study on speed limits, most are under the "natural" speed limit, which is also the safer speed to drive.

It's more about money than saftey, I'd contest it on the principle, also your insurance is going to use they as an excuse to jack your rates up too

Last edited:
Pay the ticket, move on with life. Nobody cares.

Except his insurance company. If you have the time and means to go to court, go. You will win something, whether it is a reduction or a complete dismissal.

Just be glad that you're not in M*******chusetts...... you have to pay $50 for the first appearance, which is with a magistrate, if you don't get the result you want there, you need to pay $75 to appear in appear before a judge. These are court fees you pay whether you are successful or not and if you lose your fine is additional.

This is what living under liberal rule is like....

Step one: maintain a local officer's aircraft

Step two: casually mention that I've recently received a love-letter from a snake. Suggest that Honda Civics can't even do 95.

Step three: mysterious phone-calls are exchanged, and "professional courtesy" is extended to an amateur.

Step four: appear in court. Make a "wtf? really?" face when the accusing officer whispers to the judge before proceedings, judge bellows out my name, and suggests "case dismissed for the furtherance of justice. please sit on the left side of the courtroom."

Step five: extend $400 credit to a random client as part of my new "i fought the lawwww" sweepstakes. Wouldn't ya know it....

Only time in my life I've felt like an "insider". Usually I'm a flaming ball of anti-authority.

I used to just do traffic school and not worry about it. Courthouses are aggravating places.

Find the sign that announces it is a school zone and if it is obscured, take a picture of it and present it to the court. If there is no sign, even better. Generally, your appearance at a hearing will get the fine reduced and also any resulting additional insurance or points on your license.
The issue you have to consider also is an appearance generally means a day out of work. Is it worth it? In Ma, a traffic offense follows you for 6 years and affects your insurance rate. I think so even though the "new" process adds its own expenses.

Show up clean and in nice clothes. Say yes sir, no sir. It's common practice to knock 10 MPH off of the speed you were doing and have you plead guilty to a lower speed. Pay the fine & court costs, and be happy. I've also seen the knock 10 MPH off of the speed you were doing then offer driving school. I have also seen "this week is donate $50 to Juniors house and we will throw the ticket out". (Juniors house is a charity for a domestic violence shelter.)

Showing up clean, polite, and respectful goes a long way.

Jim

Okay, hold on here....

Your State recognizes Prima Facie zones. With a few exceptions, the posted limits in Prima Facie zones are not absolute, and the justifiable limit is normally above the posted limit.

The general defense for getting a speeding ticket in a Prima Facie zone is to obtain a copy of the County or State DOT engineering report for the roadway section in question. This will establish the design speed. If you have a 40 mph posted limit, you were going 45, the design speed was 55, and conditions were dry, daylight, light or no traffic and good visibility, one can argue one wasn't travelling at a speed faster than conditions warrant.

Just depends on how much effort you want to put in to it. I'm personally in favor of pushing back at The Man for these types of things. I wish less people would cave in and put up some sort of a fight.

Okay, hold on here....

Your State recognizes Prima Facie zones. With a few exceptions, the posted limits in Prima Facie zones are not absolute, and the justifiable limit is normally above the posted limit.

The general defense for getting a speeding ticket in a Prima Facie zone is to obtain a copy of the County or State DOT engineering report for the roadway section in question. This will establish the design speed. If you have a 40 mph posted limit, you were going 45, the design speed was 55, and conditions were dry, daylight, light or no traffic and good visibility, one can argue one wasn't travelling at a speed faster than conditions warrant.

Just depends on how much effort you want to put in to it. I'm personally in favor of pushing back at The Man for these types of things. I wish less people would cave in and put up some sort of a fight.

Seriously doubt that would hold any water regarding a school zone. Unless, of course, you can prove that the students at this school are superior athletes whose speed and perception enable them to dodge cars at 40 mph that lesser qualified schools need the 15 mph limit to dodge.

• First Ticket at 23

First, please don't tell the judge how you were doing 38 in an "otherwise 40." He will tell you sonny, thanks for admitting in court your speed, and sonny, a school zone at the time of its active-status, IS a 25 MPH, it s NOT a 40. Mr. Heavy Pedal is ordered to pay $$$$ at the window outside of the courtroom door. Wow that was fast, this may be a quick morning. Next case please....

With that said

1. This happened in a school zone, don't expect much leniency or "yes, we see your point" from the Judge/Court, if you decide to go to court. Skip the engineering studies or videos of the position of the sun (and moon) during the "time the ticket was issued." That sells those "Beat your Ticket" books but in the real world, most tickets are cut and dry and only are beat via legal means. Or lawyers, not engineers. This is a school zone and society does not openly accept speeders thru streets with school kids. It is what it is.

2. The officer (the witness) will be called to Court via his department/supervisor, he will likely get Overtime to attend court. The old wives tale of "if the officer doesn't appear, it is dismissed" rarely works. Less likely in a smaller town. Maybe in Los Angeles etc. If it goes to court, ALL evidence, to include officer's dash cam, lapel mic audio, notes, etc will come to court. If you mouthed-off (not saying you did) or admitted "yeah, I was speeding, sorry" and it was on his audio, you are pretty much hosed, in court. Many officers "like court" because depending on department, it pays overtime and sometimes gets them out of less than desired assignments that week. Gee Sarge, I need to be off midnites next week, I looks like I am in court, just FYI.

3. Hiring a lawyer should be saved (my opinion) for those "I might go to jail" crimes. This is not one of them. Speeding laws are administrative/civil in nature, in that via making a payment to a government body aka "fine", the matter is considered resolved. Skip the lawyer. If this was DUI/DWI or similar elevated situation, yes MUST have lawyer.

My opinion:

In Texas, we have "Deferred Adjudication". Call the city attorney/prosecutor (depending on size of town, a different person or office in-takes speeding tickets) and ask for this. This in laymans terms is you pay the fine, but the prosecutor, if you have not had ten tickets this month, will process your case so that the ticket is not on your driving record. Similar variations exist depending on the local prosecutor but usually that is the end result. Also ask him if "community service" could be performed at the local airport in which you invite school kids (from the school zone school you sped thru?) to the hangar and talk about flying. Or you go to the school on career day or cool-jobs-day or whatever they call it now and talk about aviation. Yes I am serious. Etc stuff.

You can also ask for a payment plan or plead financial poorhouse, they may reduce the fine.

Second option would be defensive driving.

My opinions of course. Good Luck

Last edited:
Hi Overdrive.
What others have said, for the defense, and possible ask for delays / postpone the Court date as many times as you can.
For the future, Never say anything that you are not sure of, like the speed, other times, places, etc. Unless you had your car on Cruise control, or other means of auto speed control, you Don't know.
You just lost half of your possible defense. Go to school, pay it, whatever it takes to keep it off your record if possible.
You may also want to reconsider your Screen name, that name gets you in high speed mode just reading it. Just kidding.

... ask for delays / postpone the Court date as many times as you can.

...whatever it takes to keep it off your record if possible.

All of this seems like a lot of time and money to invest to get out of a ticket and a few years of marginally higher insurance premiums.

Do they hang people for speeding tickets in OK? I mean, holy S, all of this lawyer talk, engineering diagrams, photos and videos all to get out of taking responsibilities for a speeding ticket?

What are you guys going to do if you ever F-up with your airplane?

Seriously doubt that would hold any water regarding a school zone. Unless, of course, you can prove that the students at this school are superior athletes whose speed and perception enable them to dodge cars at 40 mph that lesser qualified schools need the 15 mph limit to dodge.

I'm assuming he busted the 40 limit and that it was not an active school zone at the time. If it was active, then you are right, 25 mph is an absolute limit.

Go to court and ask the judge for leniency. Explain that you are normally a very safe driver and will gladly go to driving classes. Ask if he will defer judgement pending completion of the driving school. He may offer to do so and then dismiss the case after you complete school , leaving you with a clean driving record and no increased insurance costs. I have been to court numerous times since I drive about 90,000 miles a year and have for about 40 years. I have always found it worth my time to show up. I think the judge gets the idea that you are concerned about your liciense if you take the time to come to court. Besides the worst that will happen is he will convict you and fine you. If you pay the fine and do not go to court it will cost you the same and you will have a conviction on the record. It can only get better if you show up and behave properly and plead your case. You do not need a lawyer, you can do as well on your own.
I bet showing up for a ticket is something most people are unwilling to do, that or unable. Fortunately I can probably show up and talk to the judge and convey that I'm not going to do it again and that it's a one off. Personally I think that's a weak argument to make though, it doesn't excuse the speeding in the first place and I don't expect it to. I'm hoping that showing up is better than just paying the fine. Thanks for the advice on the alternatives.

We have a new grade school near our house with NO speed zone. It's 40 mph all the way. When I asked the street department why they said they found there is no problems with normal speeds in schools zones. Weird huh?

OP pay the ticket. You were speeding. That is not me talking, that is the judge.
Weird indeed. I don't argue with the lower speed limit in school zones, if I had a kid I'd want people driving slower and safer through that area anyway. I don't expect to get the ticket thrown out, but I know where the school is now and that it won't happen again. If that's worth anything at all, if not it's just a fine and higher insurance rates.

Save yourself the time and grief. Pay it by mail. Then go sign up for traffic school and get the points shaved off.
Does traffic school after the fact take the points off the license? Or do I have to ask for that kind of option during the court date?

Go to court. First of all, if the officer doesn't show up, the case is summarily dismissed. You walk out scott free. If he is there, simply explain you passed the school and thought it was back to 40. You'll probably get it dropped or reduced to something worth nothing.
The problem is the school zone was quite small, maybe 1000 feet total. By the time I saw the school, then the cop, I was almost out of it.

Go to court,

I read a article a while back about an NTSB study on speed limits, most are under the "natural" speed limit, which is also the safer speed to drive.

It's more about money than saftey, I'd contest it on the principle, also your insurance is going to use they as an excuse to jack your rates up too
I mean, I was watching for people in the road - I just didn't see the sign and then the school was there. I don't think I put anyone in danger, but I did unintentionally speed through a school zone. I was hoping that the judge would forgive that it won't happen again but I don't expect it at all. The insurance rates rising is another worry, some places say that it'll go up, others say that usually the first ticket is forgiven.

Find the sign that announces it is a school zone and if it is obscured, take a picture of it and present it to the court. If there is no sign, even better. Generally, your appearance at a hearing will get the fine reduced and also any resulting additional insurance or points on your license.
The issue you have to consider also is an appearance generally means a day out of work. Is it worth it? In Ma, a traffic offense follows you for 6 years and affects your insurance rate. I think so even though the "new" process adds its own expenses.
On the drive back through, I looked for a long ways off to find the signs. They were there, flashing lights and all. I don't know why I didn't see them in the first place. I'd like to have remembered the traffic around me but all i remember was there wasn't anything in front of me that slowed down enough for me to do the same. I'm not sure how much the fine will be, or the knock on my insurance is why I'm worried. I'm a pretty safe driver in the first place, no accidents or tickets before this at all.

Show up clean and in nice clothes. Say yes sir, no sir. It's common practice to knock 10 MPH off of the speed you were doing and have you plead guilty to a lower speed. Pay the fine & court costs, and be happy. I've also seen the knock 10 MPH off of the speed you were doing then offer driving school. I have also seen "this week is donate $50 to Juniors house and we will throw the ticket out". (Juniors house is a charity for a domestic violence shelter.)

Showing up clean, polite, and respectful goes a long way.

Jim
I was planning on dressing up nicely and being respectful in the first place. All of those options seem more beneficial than just paying the fine and moving on, personally.

Okay, hold on here....

The general defense for getting a speeding ticket in a Prima Facie zone is to obtain a copy of the County or State DOT engineering report for the roadway section in question. This will establish the design speed. If you have a 40 mph posted limit, you were going 45, the design speed was 55, and conditions were dry, daylight, light or no traffic and good visibility, one can argue one wasn't travelling at a speed faster than conditions warrant

The speed limit in the area before and after the school was 40 mph, the lights were on in the area at 25. I was intentionally doing under the speed limit (38 mph) I thought was in place. Conditions were indeed dry, daylight, good visibility, although traffic in the area was medium. No one was in front of me to slow down for me to see their brake lights is about all I remember.

Maybe their common sense not to cross a 4 lane split road without something stopping traffic? :dunno: :rofl: although it was a high school...

If you can dodge a car...
You can dodge a ball!
:rofl:

First, please don't tell the judge how you were doing 38 in an "otherwise 40." He will tell you sonny, thanks for admitting in court your speed, and sonny, a school zone at the time of its active-status, IS a 25 MPH, it s NOT a 40. Mr. Heavy Pedal is ordered to pay $$$$ at the window outside of the courtroom door. Wow that was fast, this may be a quick morning. Next case please....

With that said

1. This happened in a school zone, don't expect much leniency or "yes, we see your point" from the Judge/Court, if you decide to go to court. Skip the engineering studies or videos of the position of the sun (and moon) during the "time the ticket was issued." That sells those "Beat your Ticket" books but in the real world, most tickets are cut and dry and only are beat via legal means. Or lawyers, not engineers. This is a school zone and society does not openly accept speeders thru streets with school kids. It is what it is.

2. The officer (the witness) will be called to Court via his department/supervisor, he will likely get Overtime to attend court. The old wives tale of "if the officer doesn't appear, it is dismissed" rarely works. Less likely in a smaller town. Maybe in Los Angeles etc. If it goes to court, ALL evidence, to include officer's dash cam, lapel mic audio, notes, etc will come to court. If you mouthed-off (not saying you did) or admitted "yeah, I was speeding, sorry" and it was on his audio, you are pretty much hosed, in court. Many officers "like court" because depending on department, it pays overtime and sometimes gets them out of less than desired assignments that week. Gee Sarge, I need to be off midnites next week, I looks like I am in court, just FYI.

3. Hiring a lawyer should be saved (my opinion) for those "I might go to jail" crimes. This is not one of them. Speeding laws are administrative/civil in nature, in that via making a payment to a government body aka "fine", the matter is considered resolved. Skip the lawyer. If this was DUI/DWI or similar elevated situation, yes MUST have lawyer.

My opinion:

In Texas, we have "Deferred Adjudication". Call the city attorney/prosecutor (depending on size of town, a different person or office in-takes speeding tickets) and ask for this. This in laymans terms is you pay the fine, but the prosecutor, if you have not had ten tickets this month, will process your case so that the ticket is not on your driving record. Similar variations exist depending on the local prosecutor but usually that is the end result. Also ask him if "community service" could be performed at the local airport in which you invite school kids (from the school zone school you sped thru?) to the hangar and talk about flying. Or you go to the school on career day or cool-jobs-day or whatever they call it now and talk about aviation. Yes I am serious. Etc stuff.

You can also ask for a payment plan or plead financial poorhouse, they may reduce the fine.

Second option would be defensive driving.

My opinions of course. Good Luck
Fair enough. I don't expect much leniency because I admit I ended up doing 38 through the school zone. But if people are able to get their tickets reduced or removed, or set to a lower speed of offense, why not go for it? I'm not trying to get out of it exactly, just lessen the repercussions. I know the school is there and I don't intend to go back through there again. First time I've gotten a ticket, I've gone through a ton of school zones and didn't speed through them.

If it's about preventing people from speeding in school zones, I know where it is now and I haven't done it before and won't again. The judge can forgive or send me to driving school or defensive driving. At least for the situation - young responsible driver with no history not speeding excessively through a zone. Not like 75 through a 25 or anything.

If it's about revenue from tickets, why would they consider reducing a fine down if you show up?

Not trying to get the fine reduced or negate the damage to my license seems like I'm not using tools that I could take advantage of that other people have. To me, the ticket draws attention to that school and makes me remember where it is to not go through there again. Sure that's a weak argument because I could be in a different town and do the same thing and argue the same way and after a while that wouldn't work. I didn't see the sign and didn't slow down - it's a one off imo. Not sure why I didn't see it and I won't argue that I did or that I wasn't speeding.

Fair enough that the cop may show up and also to hiring a lawyer. I don't have any court experience but I don't think I'll need a lawyer - the questions (I'm guessing) will be straightforward and I know what I'm going to say (what I've said here). No DUIs at all and I'll never drive with any alcohol even under the legal limit. I'd kiss my license goodbye if I ever did that, much less from the principle of the thing (and past family experiences).

Good call on the deferred adjucation. I would be fine with community service, except the place I was in is an hour away from where I work. If it was local, I wouldn't have gotten the ticket because I'm familiar with the schools in the area. I could talk about aviation at their school though if that was an option. Defensive driving might be a thing I'd do too. Thank you for your input.

Hi Overdrive.
What others have said, for the defense, and possible ask for delays / postpone the Court date as many times as you can.
For the future, Never say anything that you are not sure of, like the speed, other times, places, etc. Unless you had your car on Cruise control, or other means of auto speed control, you Don't know.
You just lost half of your possible defense. Go to school, pay it, whatever it takes to keep it off your record if possible.
You may also want to reconsider your Screen name, that name gets you in high speed mode just reading it. Just kidding.
:lol: I didn't notice that about my screen name :p

I didn't admit or deny anything to the officer, but what I put on here is pretty much what I'm going to say to the judge if I do so or not. I was indeed over the speed limit of 25 in the area because I didn't see the school zone.

I'm assuming he busted the 40 limit and that it was not an active school zone at the time. If it was active, then you are right, 25 mph is an absolute limit.

Yeah, sorry, I was doing 38 mph in a 40 mph speed limit area, then found a school zone with a 25 mph limit in an unfamiliar area.

Last edited:
Go to court, plea 'Not Guilty'. Get a court date, show up for court cop doesn't show up, case dismissed due to lack of prosecution. Show up and cop shows up, plea your case then.

Next time you get pulled over, try this:

-Pull as far over as possible so the cop isn't in traffic at all
-Roll the window down a couple of inches
-Turn off the ignition and place the keys visibly on the dash
-Place hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel

When he approaches it will go something like this:

-Do you know why I pulled you over? NO
-Do you know how fast you were going? YES
-How fast were you going? DO YOU NEED MY LICENSE AND REGISTRATION

This will show the officer a couple of things. First, you respect the badge by pulling over and doing everything in your power to make him feel safe in the stop. Second, that you are easy to deal with. Third, that you are not an idiot who will incriminate himself by admitting how fast he was going.

This simple process has yielded zero citations in the past 15 years while being stopped at least 8 times. Never, never, never tell the cop how fast you were going even if you know exactly how fast it was.

Back