Speaking to 7 year olds about flying

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Today, I got to speak to thirty 7 year old first graders about being a pilot. I had a lot of fun. I didn't get to talk about checklists, but I did talk why I love to fly, how my plane differs from the big planes, maps and skills to be a pilot. I used about 30 pictures to illustrate my stories.

When I told the kids as a pilot they were already learning a critical skill - how to listen and how to follow instructions - the teachers almost cheered!

Then the kids took turns using my headsets (and portable intercom) to tell each other "Noah, This is Jane. I'm in the first grade class room and I want to fly."

I made them face away from each other because when you're flying, you can't see who you're speaking to.

It was a blast.

Did you then crush all their dreams by telling them their parents ruined their flying careers by putting them on Ritalin at the school's suggestion so the school could get more funding money?

:D

Did you then crush all their dreams by telling them their parents ruined their flying careers by putting them on Ritalin at the school's suggestion so the school could get more funding money?

:D

I've been running across students that this applies lately. Now, one of the first things I ask is about their health, and then slide in a story or two about a couple guys who couldn't get their medical because of ADD, hoping that lets them know they may have difficulty getting a medical.

Last edited:
Today, I got to speak to thirty 7 year old first graders about being a pilot. I had a lot of fun. I didn't get to talk about checklists, but I did talk why I love to fly, how my plane differs from the big planes, maps and skills to be a pilot. I used about 30 pictures to illustrate my stories.

When I told the kids as a pilot they were already learning a critical skill - how to listen and how to follow instructions - the teachers almost cheered!

Then the kids took turns using my headsets (and portable intercom) to tell each other "Noah, This is Jane. I'm in the first grade class room and I want to fly."

I made them face away from each other because when you're flying, you can't see who you're speaking to.

It was a blast.

Kids these days... talk about overachievers! 7?years old already? I was only SIX when I was in first grade.

I put an 9yo into the left seat on the ramp last week, thought it would be a positive aviation experience. I made efforts to explain a few aviation things in very simple terms, tried to maybe build a little appreciation for GA and I got: "If I were a cat, I would go crazy trying to stamp out all of these lights and push all these buttons!" whilst pulling and pushing the yoke like a maniac. I also attempted inroads into personal capabilities, "there is no reason a woman cannot become a pilot just like a man; I know many including Air Force pilots and airline pilots who are female" so maybe at least that will sink in for later.
edit Oh I recall one other comment when I was explaining the flight and engine instruments; "Can we do loop-de-loops?" (which I thought odd; isn't that a 1940's term?)

Last edited:
My daughter is 8. She gets out my old Student Pilot
Training books and demands I teach her. It’s dry stuff though.

Any recommended resources for kids that age who want to learn to fly?

Did they set their phones down long enough to hear your speal?

I remember at age 7 the second grade class got to go to the airport and look at a plane. It was a DC-3 from Trans Texas Airline. We got to get on board and the boys were allowed in the cockpit where the captain showed us around and explained the instruments enough for us to have a little understanding of what they do. Mean while the stewardess showed the girls what a stewardess does.

My daughter is 8. She gets out my old Student Pilot
Training books and demands I teach her. It’s dry stuff though.

Any recommended resources for kids that age who want to learn to fly?

40.jpg

Back in my early scholastic career, a child had to be 6 before the first day of school to enter the 1st grade. And the first day of school was always the day right after Labor Day. And no one got a trophy for just showing up....except maybe the teachers...:lol:

My wife is a teacher. The elementary schools here have grades 1-5, kindergarten, pre-kindergarten and pre-pre kindergarten. The schools serve breakfast, lunch and last thing before school lets out is an afternoon snack and the kids are encouraged to take food home with them. To me that sounds like basic tax payer paid day care.

Yep. It’s rediculous.

Our daughter did half-day kindergarten, and she was the only one. All the other parents wanted free day care... :/

Back