Speaking of certificates - yours IS plastic, right?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Just a reminder if you haven't traded in your paper certificates for plastic, you need to request a replacement soon. After March your paper cert will no longer be valid to exercise your privileges.

Certificate? I thought it was a license ;)

2982725713_2a328821a7.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that their issue date in the FAA Airman's database reset to the issue date of the new plastic card? Is this normal? I thought this only changed with a new (different) cert?

Has anyone else noticed that their issue date in the FAA Airman's database reset to the issue date of the new plastic card? Is this normal? I thought this only changed with a new (different) cert?

I got the English Proficient certificate just for fun, and they reset the issue date on my certificate too. Boo.

edit: Oh, boo. The online database shows 2009 also. That's really gay.

Last edited:
Whenever the FAA sends you a new, replacement, or updated certificate the issue date is updated on the card and in the database.

Has anyone else noticed that their issue date in the FAA Airman's database reset to the issue date of the new plastic card? Is this normal?
Yes, it's normal. That way they can quickly and easily distinguish in the field the superseded cert from the new one, so you can't use the old one if the new one gets suspended or revoked.

Yes, it's normal. That way they can quickly and easily distinguish in the field the superseded cert from the new one, so you can't use the old one if the new one gets suspended or revoked.
So if asked to turn in your certificate one should turn in the old one?? :D:D

I got the English Proficient certificate just for fun, and they reset the issue date on my certificate too. Boo.

edit: Oh, boo. The online database shows 2009 also. That's really gay.

Not really. That date is the date that THAT particular piece of plastic was issued. Always was always will be.

What a stupid useless rule. (>-{

Who cares what the date is no one ever sees the dang thing anyway. Unless you walk around flipping out your ticket saying "Hey baby I've been a certificated pilot since 2009"

Its not that so much as it was cool to see 4/8/2004 on my original. Now, there's no official record of me being a pilot before February 2009.

Its not that so much as it was cool to see 4/8/2004 on my original. Now, there's no official record of me being a pilot before February 2009.
Well it is lucky you got engaged then because I am sure when you whipped that piece of info out at the bar the women swooned. But now they will just think you're a noob! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
While you need only keep copies of your temporary certificates for that, you can also obtain a copy of your records from the FAA Airman Registry if you really need documentation.

If you ever get any other ratings it will reset again. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Mine says May 15, 2008.

Who cares what the date is no one ever sees the dang thing anyway. Unless you walk around flipping out your ticket saying "Hey baby I've been a certificated pilot since 2009"

:rofl:

Ever since Orville Wright stopped signing them, it's been pretty hard to impress anybody with the date on one's pilot's certificate. :rolleyes:

And no passenger of mine has ever, ever asked to see my certificate before they'd fly with me. :D

I guess it would be nice, if someone happened to see your ticket, for them to be able to appreciate how many years you've put into it, but a better place for that is in one's forum sig. :D

You want to impress someone, show them a certificate number with less than six digits. That's the real measure of long experience. I've been at this over 40 years, and mine is over the two million mark. The owner of the FBO where I worked years ago had 46xxx -- that's back from the 30's.

I earned my Private on December 7 (2005). Kind of an infamous date. I wonder if I can take (oh yea, and pass) my IR checkride on December 7 (2009), to keep the cool date on my certificate. :smile:

Stan,

The DPE will likely ask you to surrender it when he hands you your new temporary cert.

You can keep it, but you may need to request that you do. I believe he is then to punch a hole in the cert. I'd recommend taking your own hole punch so as not to give him an excuse.

You want to impress someone, show them a certificate number with less than six digits. That's the real measure of long experience. I've been at this over 40 years, and mine is over the two million mark. The owner of the FBO where I worked years ago had 46xxx -- that's back from the 30's.

My original ticket (1974) had nine digits. As in Social Security Number.

The new one (2007) has seven digits - a bit over three million.

I earned my Private on December 7 (2005). Kind of an infamous date. I wonder if I can take (oh yea, and pass) my IR checkride on December 7 (2009), to keep the cool date on my certificate. :smile:

So Dec 7th truly is a day of infamy. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My paper cert from 1992 confused my flight doc when I went in for a physical last year.

I'm glad I stopped by this thread. I hadn't noted that a new license is required; I thought it was just an option. So, at the risk of being flamed, uhh..., how do I go about getting a new license?

My original ticket (1974) had nine digits. As in Social Security Number.

The new one (2007) has seven digits - a bit over three million.

My original ticket (also in 1974) only had seven digits..
They did not like the leading zeros in my SSAN, so they dropped the zeros and used the remaining 7 digits.

When I added ratings in the late 90s, they issued a new number, turns out it also has 7 digits.. starts with 256xxxx.

Back