Southern Living: Bug Proofing a Home

Princesspilot206

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Princesspilot
Looking for recommendations on bug proofing my living quarters. I have already seen 3 large freaky looking bugs since moving down south from New England, and I don't do bugs or arachnids. What do you Southerns do to keep them away? Or do you all not mind 5 inch long millipedes crawling on you while your sleeping at night? Also, I live in an apartment on a grass strip that does not have a/c and no window to hook up a window a/c unit. What can I do to not die. Thank you for advice.

Last edited:
You can try diatomaceous earth… line the base of your floors with it and it’s not toxic to humans. But as a disclaimer, I don’t live in the south.

Always had good luck with this stuff,

but some roaches seem to have developed an immunity.

You must keep your place immaculately clean, no crumbs, no open packages of food like bowls of sugar or candy. I had ants find their way into cereal, that had the wax paper rolled up and a bag clip, but still wasn’t air tight. No food, no bugs.

Seriously ... the best approach to keeping insects out of the house is to seal the house (windows, doors, vents, etc) and elminate harborage areas around the house where these things live. The large roaches live in pine straw, tree bark, wood piles, and under most anything left laying on the ground. Most chemical treatments are not very effective but Niban Granular Bait can help.

Mostly I'm against the use of any chemical inside the home and what I mentioned earlier applies. Living in the south has a certain element of dealing with pests as part of the experience.

An apartment with no window doesn't sound legal. I've had good luck using bait stations (e.g. Combat) for roaches, just remember to replace them when the instructions say to or they'll come back. Never had millipedes so can't help with that.

Not sure where in the south you live, but here in Florida it is just something you live with. My girlfriend kills them all the time, the bug killing guys comes every month and sprays inside and out, and the bugs keep coming. Making your house air tight is impossible, and from what I have been is not only dangerous to you but can affect the housing structure. Maybe it is an old wife's tale but something about houses need to breathe.

…moving down south from New England…I live in an apartment on a grass strip that does not have a/c and no window to hook up a window a/c unit. What can I do to not die. Thank you for advice.
No air conditioning AND no window? This is known as a sauna in S FL. You will die in June, if not earlier. You need a new place to live, or you need to knock a hole in the wall and install an AC very soon.

Last edited:
Maybe it is an old wife's tale but something about houses need to breathe.

Probably because wood houses need to be properly ventilated to prevent mold. It’s common to have fans in the crawl spaces.
Here in Florida modern homes are built from reinforced brick/cinder block to withstand hurricanes, and should be fairly airtight.
We also have lizards to keep down the insect population, until you poison the insects which poison the lizards, then you have a problem. If you can trap them you’re better off, otherwise you’re stuck with the monthly bug guy.

An apartment with no window doesn't sound legal. I've had good luck using bait stations (e.g. Combat) for roaches, just remember to replace them when the instructions say to or they'll come back. Never had millipedes so can't help with that.

Unless it’s a jail?

Probably because wood houses need to be properly ventilated to prevent mold. It’s common to have fans in the crawl spaces.
Here in Florida modern homes are built from reinforced brick/cinder block to withstand hurricanes, and should be fairly airtight.
We also have lizards to keep down the insect population, until you poison the insects which poison the lizards, then you have a problem. If you can trap them you’re better off, otherwise you’re stuck with the monthly bug guy.
Been living in Florida for over 20 years. Lived through the eye of Charley, Ian, and numerous other less powerful storms. Some of my houses and businesses were cinderblock based, some were wood framed. All were had wood in them. All of them were not airtight. Bugs are small,, and will get into any home. I work in an operating room and we have found bugs in the suites on occassion. In Florida, no matter what you do you will get bugs in your house. My current home, a three story on the open water was originally built in 1988 and reconstructed in 2021, is a stilt home and other than a concrete pad is all wood and sustained zero structural damage from the aforementioned homes, whereas numerous concrete based homes were destroyed. Btw those lizards you mention are mostly invasive, and the bugs seem to be winning that war as well. As for the insecticides killing them, they seem to proliferate quite well.

I will always live in a place where it gets cold enough to freeze hard so that the nastier bugs can't survive. And in a place where I can live without A/C in the summer.

I can sympathize with the heebee-jeebees from the creepy-crawlies and the "heat exhaustion". Moving here from Minnesota was definitely an adjustment for me, and you have to come to terms with the fact that you will see many more bugs, and big ones, in a month than you probably ever have in your life before. Mostly, I try to avoid thinking about bugs as much as possible - but I have gotten a lot less squeamish about them.

When we moved and became responsible for pest treatment, I got a spray that supposed is effective for a whole year and is pet-safe once dry. It seems to be very effective, as all I have found are dead bugs inside. That is my first line of defense. My second is a cat that hunts and kills every kind of insect or spider. In our last place, we had about an inch and a half gap under the front door. It was not uncommon to wake up to a cat-killed roach in the middle of the living room and/or kitchen and I had a flip-flop I used solely for killing bugs and spiders. Thankfully, the doors in our new place actually fit the frames and the weather stripping is intact!
Closing up what gaps you can and keeping the kitchen clean will help. If you don't already, rinse all dishes before leaving them for any length of time. Change the garbage frequently. Sweep at least once a day even if it doesn't look dirty, especially in the corners where spiders like to hide.

Get a fan for the heat. And drink a LOT of fluids. The heat is worse if you're dehydrated. Also be prepared to shower at least once, if not three or four times, a day and wash all your clothes after one wear. You will sweat more than you believed possible, especially before you're acclimated. Maybe make really good friends with someone who has AC and just hang out with them all summer. :biggrin:

8e94e70739f7cdaf8f83a4d6db61031e.gif

d4a41377ade5c315008350fe4fa0af5a.gif

No AC would be a no go for me, any chance you can find a better place?

Bugs are as much a part of living in Florida as are heat and humidity. You just do what you can and roll with it. And as I keep reminding my wife, who moved here from Wisconsin, they’re not roaches, they’re palmetto bugs.

Looking for recommendations on bug proofing my living quarters. I have already seen 3 large freaky looking bugs since moving down south from New England, and I don't do bugs or arachnids. What do you Southerns do to keep them away? Or do you all not mind 5 inch long millipedes crawling on you while your sleeping at night?
What can I do to not die. Thank you for advice.
Honestly, you’re going to need to toughen up a tad. All of those creatures belong there, and if you want to live in their homeland, you’ll need to learn to live with them. And you won’t die until your time is up, which last I checked happens up north, too.

I got a spray that supposed is effective for a whole year and is pet-safe once dry. It seems to be very effective, as all I have found are dead bugs inside. That is my first line of defense.
Just to clarify a point that most folks don't understand ... the large dead "palmetto bugs" (American/Australian cockroaches) that you find laying on their backs dead inside the house did not die from any house spraying that was done ...

Just to clarify a point that most folks don't understand ... the large dead "palmetto bugs" (American/Australian cockroaches) that you find laying on their backs dead inside the house did not die from any house spraying that was done ...
The spray I have is for spiders and ants and millipedes. And supposed to deter scorpions as well. I have a cat for the roaches. :cool: Though we haven't had any in our new place yet!

I put down a perimeter of Sevin (formulation is changing regularly) next to the foundation of the house a few times a summer. Thin layer, on dirt or very short grass, right next to our slab. Non-flying bugs have to walk through to get into the house.
Our biggest concern is the Black Widow. Very common, very painful bite which killed a woman here many years ago. The scorpions cause a painful sting too but never lethal.

Bugs are as much a part of living in Florida as are heat and humidity. You just do what you can and roll with it. And as I keep reminding my wife, who moved here from Wisconsin, they’re not roaches, they’re palmetto bugs.

It’s entertaining when someone sees a “roach” and then it departs the ground and flys the Palmetto One departure.

Anyone considering a move to Florida needs to read this thread.

Looking for recommendations on bug proofing my living quarters. I have already seen 3 large freaky looking bugs since moving down south from New England, and I don't do bugs or arachnids. What do you Southerns do to keep them away? Or do you all not mind 5 inch long millipedes crawling on you while your sleeping at night? Also, I live in an apartment on a grass strip that does not have a/c and no window to hook up a window a/c unit. What can I do to not die. Thank you for advice.
I'd move back north, where it is bug free.

Also, I live in an apartment on a grass strip that does not have a/c and no window to hook up a window a/c unit. What can I do to not die.

Maybe buy a sleeping bag and camp under the stars?

(Oh, but there goes that bug thing again.....)

I gave up. I live in Charlotte. I now have a monthly bug service...more if I see any between treatments.

It ain't just Florida friends ... those large mamma jamma roaches are called Palmetto Bugs and named after the Palmetto State ... ;)
In New Orleans Palmetto bugs are giant flying cockroaches. They could get so big rumor had it you could put a saddle on them and ride them! They certainly were a mess when you squashed them. The palmetto bugs in Florida do not seem to fly and are somewhat smaller than the cousins in NOLA.

You haven’t seen a ‘bug’ till you seen a Madagascar Hissing CockroachView attachment 126745
Not seen much in the United States if at all. Largest we have here are the American & Australian cockroaches ... but those are plenty big enough!

Best way to kill them is with two blocks of wood, one on each side coming together in a very rapid motion to completely close the gap. Stepping on them works well also.

BTW ... cut it's head off and it still lives for about a week ...

Back