Source of static on comms

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
I had a sudden bout of static on my radios in flight yesterday. Varied with engine speed, louder at higher rpms (fixed pitch prop) and a bit in and out in turbulence. Got really bad on landing to the point where I couldn't hear anything. Transmissions seemed OK, tower could hear me.

Looked around and saw the shielding on the wire to the upper #4 plug pulled away from the magneto cover. 99% sure this is the cause. Does this make sense?
IMG_0178.jpeg

Run the motor with this mag off and see if it changes anything.

I just fixed the same problem and it took replacing the plug harness. Static gone.

my static came from a cheap 12v power adapter going bad. got a nicer one and static all gone.

I had a sudden bout of static on my radios in flight yesterday. Varied with engine speed, louder at higher rpms (fixed pitch prop) and a bit in and out in turbulence. Got really bad on landing to the point where I couldn't hear anything. Transmissions seemed OK, tower could hear me.

Looked around and saw the shielding on the wire to the upper #4 plug pulled away from the magneto cover. 99% sure this is the cause. Does this make sense?
View attachment 98381
I installed a LED light in the ceiling of the cockpit that made the radios un useable.

Turned out to be a rear headphone jack that had unthreaded itself. Vibration/turbulence worked it loose and a "firm" landing dropped it completely. I rarely have rear seat passengers, so never thought to check back there. Ignition wire was a false clue.

Glad you figured it our. Electrical gremlins are the worst. Very hard to trouble shoot.

Back