Source for Skew-T charts

ssonixx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ssonixx
Can anyone recommend an online source for Skew-T charts?

Thanks.

Yes. Forecast. Thanks. I will check these out.

One more: NOAA recently added a javascript interactive Skew-T with most of the functionality of the hava one. The advantage - it works just fine on an iPad or other non-java tablet or computer.

http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/gwt/

For multiple stations, separate them with a comma, no space.

rrm, are those balloon-launch observations or forecasts? They look like observations.

Question for those who are using a Skew-T app. What do you see as the advantages over the ones available from NOAA?

I looked at a few for the iPad when the interactive NOAA one was Java-only but, even then, didn't see any advantage to them.

Mark, a simple and pleasant user experience is an attraction to using SkewTLogPro if you happen to be using an iPad or iPhone. It is simplified for use by a pilot, unlike all the web sites, so that it is uncluttered. It is easy to swipe forward and backward in time, and the temperature grid line for zero C (the one you really care about) is highlighted so that you can easily find altitudes where there's an icing risk.

I'm not claiming it is better, but it is possibly the easiest thing for a pilot to use.

One disadvantage of SkewTLogPro is that it uses only RUC or NAM data. It does not also offer the longer-term forecasts of GFS. The websites typically give you a choice of data source.

Another disadvantage is that if you want to evaluate the stability, it doesn't lift any parcels for you, and it doesn't show you the value of LI, CAPE, or other computed quantities. This is all part of the minimalist uncluttered presentation.

So I would say that if you want to assess tops and icing within the next day or so, SkewTLogPro is fine. If you want longer forecasts or you want to evaluate stability then you need the web sites.

Last edited:
Thanks NoHeat. What you're describing is essentially what I noticed. Especially in the spring and summer, the inability to lift parcels was pretty much a stopper for me.

Back