Sorta Serious Poll

How much do you spend on flying as a percentage of your gross annual income?

• I don't spend anything; I'm a professional pilot or CFI who makes money off flying

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I spend less than 20%

Votes: 45 51.7%
  • 20%-30%

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • 30%-40%

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 40% or more

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I don't know; I try not to think about it too much

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I got to thinking about how much flying matters to pilots, and how it ultimately translates into time and money. Specifically, it occured to me how much money this costs us, especially as a percentage of our income. I got to thinking about how nice it would be to own a KI Baron, C310, or Seneca, but how I couldn't afford it. You'd have to be a doctor or lawyer (and not of music), I thought to myself. But then I notice while there are pilots who have high paying jobs and big time airplanes, I also pilots with money making jobs with simple airplanes. Then there are those who seem not to have much money, but who spend a lot on flying. So, answer the poll if you feel like it. I think it might be instructive to find out anonymously how much we value what we do.

EDIT: If you chose to answer, for the sake of this poll let's say that "total income" means just your income, not your total family income.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find that I spend only about 13.5% of our income on flying. Of course, I don't really make enough to spend a higher percentage unless we want to go back to living in a $2500 trailer and driving $500 cars, which is how we paid for the first couple years of my training.... we aren't going to do that.

If I made more, the percentage spent on flying would go up. For now, we spend enough for me to keep working toward the goals my wife and I set.

Seems like you need to allow what, about 100-200/hr for the average light single if you are flying 50-200 hrs per year? I have no idea what renters are paying now.
So it is hard to stay active in flying unless you have about $5000 in uncommitted discretionary income available each year? Add 20% for the next year the way gas is going up.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Seems like you need to allow what, about 100-200/hr for the average light single if you are flying 50-200 hrs per year? I have no idea what renters are paying now.
So it is hard to stay active in flying unless you have about $5000 in uncommitted discretionary income available each year? Add 20% for the next year the way gas is going up.

I pay $110 hr for a Skyhawk SP, $93 hr for Tigers, Archers, or a Tobago, and have access to a 172N for $97 hr + $4 hr if I refuel on cross country flights, a 180 HP 172N for $90 hr, $83 hr for Warriors and Skyhawks, and $67 hr for 152s.

Joe Williams said:
I pay $110 hr.

I wonder how much more you should allow for other stuff? Your charts for eg, headsets, renters insurance, motels & meals away, bfr, medical, gadgets, etc. Maybe a couple of bucks an hour?

I'd say about 3-4% (renting), which certainly isn't enough to do anything but bore holes once in a while. If I could get that up to about 10 percent, I would be in business. Now you've got me setting a defined goal to work toward....thank you.

Joe Williams said:
If I made more, the percentage spent on flying would go up. For now, we spend enough for me to keep working toward the goals my wife and I set.

Joe the solution is so simple your overlooking it. Have your wife work two jobs to pay for your extra flights :dance:.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Dave

That sound about right. I spend close to 30% of income which includes all flying expences; fuel, hanger,overhaul, unexpected repairs, etc. The plane is a Beech C-33 and I do with my partner all maintainence. He is an A&P-I so if we added labor I would not even come close to even being able to afford it. Beech Parts are not cheap but I feel so lucky to have a partner with the AI.

John J

Michael said:
Joe the solution is so simple your overlooking it. Have your wife work two jobs to pay for your extra flights :dance:.

LOL I've tried that approach, but it seems more likely that I will be the one getting a part time job since we bought a second car.

"Would you like fries with that?" :)

Thanks for the polls... but it's often hard to vote realistically.

I've often found the selections to be overly simplistic i.e.: CFIs often do their own personal flying their without students trying to kill them and the aircraft an average of once every 15 minutes... <G>

Joe Williams said:
LOL I've tried that approach, but it seems more likely that I will be the one getting a part time job since we bought a second car.

"Would you like fries with that?" :)

Joe, Which second car did you decide on?
Just curious.........

Keith Lane said:
Joe, Which second car did you decide on?
Just curious.........

A base Toyota Matrix, complete with the stick shift :) I refused to buy a car that didn't have a stick.

We considered buying a junker, but frankly we've spent so many years driving those that we didn't want to. I'd rather work a second job if I want more flying time than we have money left over for, and we've got a car that should last us for years.

I like the Matrix. 30+ mpg, tons and tons of room inside to carry stuff to work on the house (I can make drywall fit by leaving the hatch up), decent though not sports car performance, comfy and good looking. It really doesn't feel sporty to drive, more like a small truck or SUV. I'm enjoying it.

I'm not sure how to answer. I am mostly retired; so is my sweet wife. However, I worked a small job selling shirts and men's wear for a year before moving to Austin. That job was intended to pay for my flying. The problem with that -- I had a restricted amount of time to fly. Now, I'm not working again, I am spending what I saved selling shirts. I figure I have enough for another year of limited aviating before I have to find something again.

Jim

I'm right about at 20% of the family gross income (My wife has a good paying job). Of course if I deducted the cost of using the airlines for my recreational travelling, that might drop a little.

I'm at about 8 percent. I'd love to boost it to 20 percent ... buy a mid 1990s Saratoga to go with the Citabria ... buy my wife likes boats instead of airplanes, and I must keep peace in the house.

Ken Ibold said:
I'm at about 8 percent. I'd love to boost it to 20 percent ... buy a mid 1990s Saratoga to go with the Citabria ... buy my wife likes boats instead of airplanes, and I must keep peace in the house.
Ken, think outside the box! http://www.hu-16.com/ Look, honey! It's a boat AND a plane!

My wife is very good about this.

As you may have noticed here previously, she's looking for a new job as she turned down relocation. I peeked and saw her list of requirements for a new job.

About #3 was "make enough money so that Mark can fly".

She's a keeper!

Looks like we can do multiple votes here...

just like in the presidential elections !

I know I've spent a lot more money than is good for me, but otherwise, as long as I can pay my bills and have a little stashed away for emergencies, I don't keep track of the flying too much. It would be too scary. :eek:

I do have about 95% of my aviation receipts from the 10 years I've been flying (that includes my private pilot training), but again, I'd be sincerely frightened to add all that up. It's a pretty big boxful though...

Since I've been a part-time instructor since 2002 I've done a little better, but I gross very little each year as a "perfeshunal", so after expenses, I'm still paying for all my fun flying on my own anyway. I teach because I like to, not because I have to, so this isn't really an issue for me.

Ya can't take it with you when you go, so why not enjoy it? ;)

Carolyn

Ken Ibold said:

Maybe you should get a SeaBee.

MSmith said:
About #3 was "make enough money so that Mark can fly".

She's a keeper!
Mark, that's great! You're a lucky guy.

Joe Williams said:
and driving $500 cars

what's wrong with $500 cars? huhuhuhuh? My last car cost $300 bux. Runs better than the KillerTurboMachine that sits in storage right now. Since buying the airplane i've developed a keen sense of "why would i buy another expensive car when i've got a better toy to spend money on". being loan free is worth a lot.

oh but maybe other people are embarrassed by my little SuperToyota. Doesn't fit Some People's "Image". :no: Oh well. They won't be flying in my plane, either. :blowkiss:

oh and the answer to the Q: earlier, zero percent of "my" income. All co. expense. Now, everyone sits and waits.

Last edited:
sierra said:
what's wrong with $500 cars? huhuhuhuh? My last car cost $300 bux. Runs better than the KillerTurboMachine that sits in storage right now. Since buying the airplane i've developed a keen sense of "why would i buy another expensive car when i've got a better toy to spend money on". being loan free is worth a lot.

oh but maybe other people are embarrassed by my little SuperToyota. Doesn't fit Some People's "Image". :no: Oh well. They won't be flying in my plane, either. :blowkiss:

oh and the answer to the Q: earlier, zero percent of "my" income. All co. expense. Now, everyone sits and waits.

$500 cars are fine for those who can afford other options. When that piece of crap is what you have to depend on to get you and your wife to work, your kid to the doctor, to the store for food, and to drive 500 miles to a new city while the transmission disintegrates, it's becomes slightly less "romantic." All fine and dandy if you happen to have the luxury of putting the good car in storage. I see plenty of pilots here talking about how cheapo their cars are, but I'll lay odds most of you could afford a rental while yours is in the shop. We certainly didn't have the wherewithal to play such games. $500 cars are garbage, and I'll work a second job to fly, and provide my family the safety and security of safe, reliable transportation since we are fortunate enough to have that option now. If I'm lucky, our Hyundai and Toyota will really boost our snob "image" :)

Back