Soon to be grounded?

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Sean and I were chasing his electric airplane at a park last March when I stepped into a hole while at a full run. Ankle popped, but I was able to walk on it after a couple minutes. From that time on, though, I've been experiencing increasingly greater pain while walking on it, and it's been starting faster and faster. For a while I could be on it an hour before it started hurting, but as time has gone on it's been hurting sooner. Going grocery shopping is an experience in pain, and walking for exercise is something I can't do anymore. The last is an issue, because I'm a fata$$ and HAVE to exercise to lose weight. Walking is the best form I've found. When it got to a point that I couldn't stand long enough to take a shower without gritting my teeth, I kinda figured out that it wasn't going to get any better on it's own, and finally went to the doctor.

I had an MRI done last Thursday, and Friday afternoon they called to tell me they had the results. Kind of surprised me, because they had said they wouldn't have them until the end of this week. I'd planned to just enjoy my vacation near Myrtle Beach, but went ahead and called back today. The MRI showed torn ligaments and a blocked vein in my ankle :( I've got to call an orthopedist, and see what we need to do to fix it.

I'm guessing I've got a cast in my future? Maybe surgery? Does anyone have a good guess as to how long I might be grounded? Heck, I can't even preflight a Skyhawk with a cast on, but if I can work a rudder I can always drive longer and preflight a Tiger, I guess...

Crap :( Won't even be able to fly a Tiger or anything else if I have to have a cast on :( Even if I thought I could work the rudders, there's no way I could work the brakes properly.

Joe Williams said:
Crap :( Won't even be able to fly a Tiger or anything else if I have to have a cast on :( Even if I thought I could work the rudders, there's no way I could work the brakes properly.

Find one of those old pipers with a hand brake, But with todays modern medicine you may have micro surgery and be in a walking cast that you can work rudders.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, this maybe a lessor deal than we make it.

NC19143 said:
Find one of those old pipers with a hand brake,

You beat me to it. I routinely use the hand brake in the 180.

Joe Williams said:
The MRI showed torn ligaments and a blocked vein in my ankle :( I've got to call an orthopedist, and see what we need to do to fix it.

Joe,

Hope it works out without too much additional pain and suffering.

Many years ago I knew someone that had major damage from a car accident...multiple compound fractures...she was a diabetic and not healing. Doctors at the University of Pennsylvania appeared to be on the leading edge of treatment. If you are picking from a list of doctors I'd give extra consideration to anyone associated with the Hospital of the U of P.

Again, best of luck.

Len

Good luck, Joe.

Little holes in the ground can bite. I know someone that broke their foot playing golf..... by stepping in a hole.

Broke my foot crossing a street in NYC, stepped in a pot hole while looking after a car I was giving the "salute" to!

Bones healed quickly, it was the soft tissue injuries which took the longest and hurt the worst!

That's how my wife broke her foot in Jamaica, just looking around, stepped in a hole in the sidewalk and instant swelling with a beautiful black and purple rainbow. She waited the extra day to have it attended to once we were home. Plus side the trip through the airport was quickened as she was in a wheelchair, down side we spent a fortune tipping the pushers that changed at almost every door.

The bones healed rather quickly, but like Barry said, the soft tissue stuff was the worst. Hope your results are better and a quick recovery is in your future.

Kyle Thornley said:
The bones healed rather quickly, but like Barry said, the soft tissue stuff was the worst. Hope your results are better and a quick recovery is in your future.

Yeah, 31 years and counting...

Sorry, Joe. Hope that doesn't scare you. I didn't just tweek it, it was torn apart. Stiff today from shampooing carpets yesterday (after getting an hour in flying the Arrow in the pattern).

Joe. I hope it works out that you can heal AND fly. Anyway, you don't need to use the rudder in a Tiger (except to takeoff and land and OK, steep turns and slips too. :)

Yeah, the braking issue in a Tiger is key. You'd be going around in circles on the ground if you could only use one foot. Think positively. Like someone else said, the days of the huge plaster cast are over.

Last edited:
ouch! that sucks. sorry to hear it. I fell into a "manhole" a month ago (it tipped when I stepped on it) and luckily I wasn't running. when I pulled my foot out I thought, wow, I am so lucky, this could have been really really bad.

not sure how they will handle it? hope it doesn't impinge on flying too much. but be safe.

NC19143 said:
Find one of those old pipers with a hand brake, But with todays modern medicine you may have micro surgery and be in a walking cast that you can work rudders.

Yep you are right. My 1960 Tri-Pacer has the old Johnson Bar for a brake and interconnect springs to keep coordinated. Of course I perfer to be able to use the rudder during landing. LOL :dunno:

Sorry, Joe; hopefully, speedy recovery!! I had a little accident at the airport, yesterday. During spending nearly 8 hours buffing and waxing -- a lot of it on my back while doing the belly, I took occasional breaks to go to the Landing Strip Cafe. It was full(which means about 12 tables) and I was awaiting seating. The glass side looks out onto the ramp, fuel docks, and runway; the glass door entrance is, itself, surrounded by glass.
[You're ahead of me, eh?] While standing near the door, Jay swooped a low pass in his gorgeous Pitts replica and I stepped outside to watch his usual "wicked" climbout. Yup; stepped right into the corner of the extremely clean glass door frame. Ouch! Drew surface blood to just over the right eye brow; also brought to surface a feeling of outright stupidity. Duhhh..............

HR

Lawreston said:
; also brought to surface a feeling of outright stupidity. Duhhh..............

Harley,

Don't feel bad...BTDT...what's almost as bad is when you walk through the screened patio door. Less chance of bodily injury but then the person (me) has to fix the screen.

Len

NC19143 said:

There we go, Pipers! I'd forgotten about their handbrakes. Even the new ones still have them. If it turns out I'm going to be hobbling around for a while, I can check out in Wings Field's Archers. I go so slow in the ground that I can steer easily with one foot, and can learn to do the same with the rudder if I need to. I won't be the first.

Modern medicine is cool. 10+ years ago I had orthoscopic (sp??) surgery on my wrist. I had a cast on for a couple weeks, and all was well. Even the scars are almost gone by now. I'm betting it's improved since then. Having an MRI certainly beats the days of exploratory surgery, IMHO! Have to get it taken care of either way.

Joe;

Think Pipers for now until you heal. Take someone with you until you can handle the plane in all phases. The hand brakes are great and work well. I do remember the Tri Pacer had them with out toe brakes. They worked very well.

Good luck and keep flying even if you have to fly with a "buddy"

John J

Sorry to hear that Joe. BTDT 4 days before my daughters wedding rolled over my ankle playing softball. Wasn't about to walk her down the isle with a cast on so I ignored it. Finally quit bothering me after 4 or 5 years.:D In the mean time find someone with a nice Ercoupe, then you don't have to worry about rudder pedals.
Ron

JOe you'll do fine in pipers, i have a buddy that only has his right leg,lost left one in motorcycle accident, and he made it to CFII that way Good Luck Dave G:blueplane:

Joe, you're in a self ground/self certify period. But sadly we all remember JFK Jr. flying in a cast.....

Usually with a ligamentous injury, it's about 8 weeks before you can do much as it takes that long to train the collateral muscles to take over the job of tensioning the joint.

But the clot is a more serious issue. Yes, you can be certified to fly on Coumadin, the chronic oral anticoagulant. It requires 90 day stabilization period in which 4 of the last 5 values in the 90 day period fall within 2.0 and 3.0 times the international normalized control values. This can be tougher than you think as the dose takes 3-4 days to make its effect felt and coumadin competes with and its metabolism is influenced by many other drugs. It takes a good amount of discipline but airmen do it all the time. And yes, it's a special issuance.

But I am concerned about your having a break. They'll carefully get a full set of films, or perhaps even MRI.

You're right. Lose a lot of weight and both problems get a lot better....

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
Sean and I were chasing his electric airplane at a park last March when I stepped into a hole while at a full run. Ankle popped, but I was able to walk on it after a couple minutes. From that time on, though, I've been experiencing increasingly greater pain while walking on it, and it's been starting faster and faster. For a while I could be on it an hour before it started hurting, but as time has gone on it's been hurting sooner. Going grocery shopping is an experience in pain, and walking for exercise is something I can't do anymore. The last is an issue, because I'm a fata$$ and HAVE to exercise to lose weight. Walking is the best form I've found. When it got to a point that I couldn't stand long enough to take a shower without gritting my teeth, I kinda figured out that it wasn't going to get any better on it's own, and finally went to the doctor.

I had an MRI done last Thursday, and Friday afternoon they called to tell me they had the results. Kind of surprised me, because they had said they wouldn't have them until the end of this week. I'd planned to just enjoy my vacation near Myrtle Beach, but went ahead and called back today. The MRI showed torn ligaments and a blocked vein in my ankle :( I've got to call an orthopedist, and see what we need to do to fix it.

I'm guessing I've got a cast in my future? Maybe surgery? Does anyone have a good guess as to how long I might be grounded? Heck, I can't even preflight a Skyhawk with a cast on, but if I can work a rudder I can always drive longer and preflight a Tiger, I guess...

Might be good time to join a swimming pool. Great way to exercise and keep the weight off the injury. Plus the kids will love it. And you can always grab a CFI and keep the skills up once the foot can handle the rudder pressure.

Joe Williams said:
Sean and I were chasing his electric airplane at a park last March when I stepped into a hole while at a full run. Ankle popped, but I was able to walk on it after a couple minutes. .......

On the positive side, you'll have a heads-up when bad weather is coming ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back