Sonex is also coming out with a high-wing aircraft.

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
https://www.sonexaircraft.com/highwing-update-020823/#production

Makes you wonder if they’re trying to copy Vans. Of course, unlike Vans, they’ve released more info on it. It’ll also apparently be available as an already-built LSA version in addition to a kit (wonder what the price will look like). And they’ll be supporting a wider variety of engine choices, such as Rotax.

Edit: I’m being comical about them copying Vans. Vans could be accused of copying other manufacturers such as Glasair. :D

And it will be just as expensive as vans with half the capability. Full disclosure in that I built and own a sonex but the company lost its market. Their target market used to be low cost aircraft with simple engines for people who wanted an affordable LSA compliant aircraft they could build themselves. Basic med and two factory aircraft crashes with fatalities and serious injuries that they were never able to explain killed a lot of that market off. Without a large demographic of buyers anymore the cost of their kits are now equal to that of an RV but are not nearly as capable. I don’t see a high wing version of the sonex airframe driving a comeback for the company. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it.

I watched the webinar right after it was presented on 7 Feb. They are targeting a different market segment than Van's is with the RV-15. Seems they are looking at folks who might like what Sonex offers but aren't into low wings and those who don't care about wing position but want easier access getting in and out of the fuse-- in their words a "goldilocks aircraft". Also the SH won't be STOL, but it will be aerobatic with a pilot and pax. They also thinking about E-AB and E-LSA kit options and a fly-away S-SLA version, but initially it would be offered as a traditional kit and the builder would have to decide which route to go.

Last edited:
High wing, all metal, LSA, rotax, tailwheel... checks a lot of boxes.

To me, there's some Wittman Tailwind in those lines, no?

I thought so too. Turns out the company prez mentioned during the webinar that they took some inspiration from the Tailwind during the design.

And it will be just as expensive as vans with half the capability. Full disclosure in that I built and own a sonex but the company lost its market. Their target market used to be low cost aircraft with simple engines for people who wanted an affordable LSA compliant aircraft they could build themselves. Basic med and two factory aircraft crashes with fatalities and serious injuries that they were never able to explain killed a lot of that market off. Without a large demographic of buyers anymore the cost of their kits are now equal to that of an RV but are not nearly as capable. I don’t see a high wing version of the sonex airframe driving a comeback for the company. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it.

Zenith aircraft is doing just splendid selling almost exclusively LSA compliant planes … despite Basic Med ….

Zenith aircraft is doing just splendid selling almost exclusively LSA compliant planes … despite Basic Med ….

That’s because they kept their kits at a reasonable price. A 601 hd full airframe kit is just under 13k. A sonex b model airframe kit is now over 32k. The zenith airframes can also support a number of standard aircraft engines like an o-235 where as the sonex is limited to a rotax, jabiru, or vw conversions.

Sonex have a faster cruse speed seems like when the engines quit on takeoff things don't end well with two people onboard near or above gross useful load before fuel is 480 lbs. Sonex-B with a jabiru cruse at 170 mph at 8000 feet and AeroVee 150 MPH. Those are above average speed for low-cost aircraft one thing that attracts people to them they overlook the ugly looking nose.

Used market still seem to be on the lower priced range 20-25k especially with the AeroVee engine which has always had a black cloud over it due to engine failures have to admit lot of them are flying without a problem.

The high wing hasn't been much published on that one yet I do like their Subsonex jet I think their 2 seat one is going to be a big seller for them.

It's a very curious airplane. I think it has a good chance of success if it keeps a reasonable price policy.

Of course, unlike Vans, they’ve released more info on it.
I wouldn't say that a whole lot of plans and CAD visualizations is more info than a FLYING prototype.

Back