Sonex High Wing "Unibrow" - What are the aerodynamic implications?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I want to build a plane one day, and the Sonex High Wing is very appealing seeing as I really like the Wittman Tailwind and the all-metal Sonex eases my concerns about "What if I can never get a hangar". When you consider that the Sonex marketing has specifically cited the Tailwind as an inspiration, (assuming I fit in it) it seems like the best option coming to market for me to consider building.

Having spent years staring at pictures of Tailwinds, I am used to the "shoulderpad" look of the wings being forward of windscreen and maybe that's why the Sonex, with its wing center section sticking out above the windscreen, just looks weird to me.

Sonex high wing:
1699584068309.jpeg
Tailwind:
WITTMAN TAILWIND€ - Plane & Pilot Magazine

I am not an aircraft designer, but the wing extending above the windscreen seems like it would add drag and reduce visibility. Is there something I am missing from a function or aerodynamic perspective that makes that design choice valuable?

Sonex Highwing Fans | Facebook

That picture doesn't do the best job of capturing the "unibrow", the wing overhanging the top of this windscreen.
This one is slightly better.

I am not an aircraft designer, but the wing extending above the windscreen seems like it would add drag and reduce visibility
Steve Whitman was a genius designer (setting aside his opinion about rib stitching dope of and fabric wings).
The wing may look odd but the Tailwind was a very efficient aircraft in terms of mph/hp.

Steve Whitman was a genius designer (setting aside his opinion about rib stitching dope of and fabric wings).
The wing may look odd but the Tailwind was a very efficient aircraft in terms of mph/hp.

I agree, and I am not questioning the tailwind wing, its the Sonex wing that I don't understand.

The gap between the wing and the windscreen that the Sonex has, but the tailwind does not, seems like it would have little impact other than to create drag on an otherwise very clean airframe.

Also, I thought in a year since it was announced we would generally know more about it.

Also, I thought in a year since it was announced we would generally know more about it.
From the Sonex builder's site:

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby Eric W » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:50 pm

I did the factory tour when I was at Airventure last week. There didn't appear to be anything for the Highwing in metal yet, at least not that they spoke of. They did speak to pretty much all of the parts and airframes in progress - the unmanned/drone being built, a Jet quickbuild, the 2-place jet, etc. They did have a rendering of the Highwing on display at one of their CAD stations. I don't know enough about it to say if there were any differences or changes from earlier information. It did look pretty complete on the screen - main thing that I could see to add would be maybe some composite fairings between the inboard end of the flap and the top of the fuselage.

Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W Posts: 8 Joined:Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:30 pm

Nothing in metal? That's a bit shocking.

Considering everything that is happening in the industry with Van's, Spirit, UPS, Fedex, and even regionals having longer class dates, I'm a little concerned that if a downturn in the aviation market happens before they complete the prototype, the high wing may end up stillborn.

My guess is that they are waiting to see what Mosaic does. Why release a design that is LSA compatible if the market is going to fizzle away with the expanded limits that mosaic is proposing. Since they don’t even have a flying prototype yet it’s going to be a few years before kits would even be avail able. I wouldn’t wait around for the sonex high wing if you are considering building in the next year or two.

Keith

the wing extending above the windscreen seems like it would add drag and reduce visibility.
It may actually be less drag than the "shoulderpad" arrangement, as you'll get a puddle of more or less stagnant air under the leading edge that the oncoming air will flow smoothly over, whereas with the wing roots projecting forward the air will be pushed through the gaps, causing intersection drag.

But yes, visibility will be reduced.

Back