Something you don't see every day

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Was out at the airport putting up a flyer for local fly-in and this was parked on the ramp.

mystery01.jpg

mystery03.jpg

mystery05.jpg

mystery02.jpg

mystery04.jpg

Jeepers, that makes my elbows hurt! However, I always appreciate those that spend the time to keep 'em shiney.

What is it though???? Is that a fixed gear?

It looks a bit like that Kawasaki that Ghery Petit posted a few days ago. Shinier, of course.

Nah, scratch that, wrong cowling.

Last edited:
Dunno what that is, but it ain't a modded Swift. Tail is all wrong, among other things, like the slightly varible dihedral. The gear is much shorter than a Swift (although they have short legs) and if you look closely you'll see it's fixed gear.
But the center setion is rather Swift-like.... very odd.

I hope its IFR rated because no one is gonna wanna fly that on a sunny day.

What is it though???? Is that a fixed gear?

Looks like a retract to me. Look at the tie-down pic - That's a retract mechanism there. No gear doors anywhere, though.

A Swift. It's retractable.

Don't let Kent see it...well, I guess it's not necessarily for sale.

Well, I am curious as to what it is, but it's most certainly not a Swift. Way too big.

Since when do Swifts have nose gear?

Ok. It's a Swift modded to have a nose gear. :D :dunno:

Well, Swifts ARE the most-modified airplane out there, and believe it or not, one Swift was converted into a fixed-gear nosedragger. Saw a pic of it in the Swift newsletter a few months ago.

Dunno what that is, but it ain't a modded Swift. Tail is all wrong, among other things, like the slightly varible dihedral. The gear is much shorter than a Swift (although they have short legs) and if you look closely you'll see it's fixed gear.

Tail's wrong, tri-gear, windscreen, cowl, pitot tube on the wrong side, too big, flat-ended tail cone, etc... No way it's a modded Swift. It could theoretically be one of the other designs by the same guy, though.

Steve, what is it? And why does it look like the left-hand side of the elevator is attached to the tail cone in that pic? :dunno:

Look even closer -- it used to be retractable. Looks like the gear well was covered over. Follow the line of screws around and it sure looks like the outline of a gear well.

Look even closer -- it used to be retractable. Looks like the gear well was covered over. Follow the line of screws around and it sure looks like the outline of a gear well.
Maybe... or maybe that well was simply the easiest way to attach that brace to the spar, and that cover was just not fussed over too much. I can't picture this gear retracted, either way.
I'm starting to think this thing is a one-off or some rare plans-built job... the more I look at it, the more it looks like several different aircraft jumbled together.

Here's a few more pics

A little sleuthing will reveal the identity.

I didn't know what it was either when I first saw it, hence the photos, and I have a bent for unique aircraft.

P1010005.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

I couldn't get any decent interior photos, too much glare on the plexiglas.

Last edited:
Its a Moody Siple Model A. Experimental.

N78RB has multiple records

Aircraft Description

Serial Number MS1 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name MOODY Certificate Issue Date 11/06/2006
Model SIPLE MODEL "A" Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 52507646
MFR Year None Fractional Owner NO

You are correct, it is a Moody-Siple 1A. Hunter Moody and Doug Siple were both pretty famous aviators. They imported thousands of aircraft after WWII. Doug was owner of an airline, Hunter operated an airport in Indiana. He held world records. Anyway aircraft was built as a prototype and has almost identical numbers as the Socata, but a totally different wing. All the components were manufactured and would have cost millions to build. My understanding is that EADS had it built by a designer in France, and Hunter and Doug imported it and then added a new Lycoming 0-540 engine and prop. I own it and have all the logs etc. where the approvals were done in Florida. It was built as a retractable with provision for long range tanks in the wings in addition to the tanks in the wing roots. All the plumbing and access panels are there but the custom bladders are not. I have the retract locked down and temporary covers over the wheel wells for now. It has a nice panel and really n ice interior. It is much bigger than you might think...very long wing span and it is deceptive if not parked next to a cherokee or Cessna...much bigger than those. Climbs at 1500-2000 fpm. Cruise wheels down at 145 kts. Has full wing span flaps so lands at very slow speeds. Handles beautifully and is a unique ride to say the least....

As to being like a Rallye...not even close, except engine wise...Rallye has a high lift low speed wing, this has a very high speed wing.

You are correct, it is a Moody-Siple 1A. Hunter Moody and Doug Siple were both pretty famous aviators. They imported thousands of aircraft after WWII. Doug was owner of an airline, Hunter operated an airport in Indiana. He held world records. Anyway aircraft was built as a prototype and has almost identical numbers as the Socata, but a totally different wing. All the components were manufactured and would have cost millions to build. My understanding is that EADS had it built by a designer in France, and Hunter and Doug imported it and then added a new Lycoming 0-540 engine and prop. I own it and have all the logs etc. where the approvals were done in Florida. It was built as a retractable with provision for long range tanks in the wings in addition to the tanks in the wing roots. All the plumbing and access panels are there but the custom bladders are not. I have the retract locked down and temporary covers over the wheel wells for now. It has a nice panel and really n ice interior. It is much bigger than you might think...very long wing span and it is deceptive if not parked next to a cherokee or Cessna...much bigger than those. Climbs at 1500-2000 fpm. Cruise wheels down at 145 kts. Has full wing span flaps so lands at very slow speeds. Handles beautifully and is a unique ride to say the least....

Interesting! And welcome to the board - Hope you can join us at one of our many fly-ins so we can see your unique bird in person! :yes:

Welcome to the Board!
Interesting write up. You learn something new every day!

looks like the builder used some ole chiken lights off a 359 pete....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Moody Brothers [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Moody-Brothers.jpg
When Charles Lindbergh made his famous flight in 1927, Hunter Moody, the elder of two sons born to farmer Edward Moody and wife Ethel, of Dalton City, Illinois, became fascinated with flight. At the age of 14 he asked his father if he could take flying lessons.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hunter soloed after 15 hours and received his instructor rating by the age of sixteen. He taught his father, younger brother Humphrey and other members of his family and community how to fly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the brothers acquired a Tri-motor Ford they barnstormed across the state, selling rides and using a siren to alert the rural town fold of their arrival. In 1934, Hunter leased the Bearsdale Airport, Decatur, IL, where he offered flight instruction and charter service.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In June of 1939, Hunter tried to break the world endurance record of 218 hours of flying in a light aircraft. He almost succeeded, but was forced down due to engine failure. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On July 23, 1939, after Humphrey completed his private license, he and Hunter installed a new engine in the plane. They set out from Springfield Airport in the Miss Springfield to attempt the record once more. Although forced to land by an electrical storm, the brothers exceeded the record by flying 343:46 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With threat of war brewing in Europe, the brothers became flight instructors and prepared cadets for wartime flying missions; both later became captains in the 45th Group of the Royal Air Force. After World War II, Humphrey continued instructing under the GI Bill at Moody Farm Airport, Dalton City, IL until it was closed in 1952.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During Richard Nixon's campaign for president the Moody brothers flew him around the United States. Overall contributions made by these brothers were many and varied, but founded in a true love of flying. [/FONT]

Testimony before Senator Kerry concenring the Moody-Siple ranch in Costa Rica: Mr. Siple. Well, I realize you're running late and I don't want to take up a lot of your time. But I think I should explain that I sort of inherited Mr. Hull from a very good and very old friend. It was a Mr. Hunter Moody from Decatur, IL, who I had know for 35 years and we had done a great deal of business together. We imported from Canada large numbers of airplanes over the years and he had disposed of them in the States. And it had been a very good relationship and a lucrative one.
So, in December 1972 Moody and his wife and my wife and I went in Moody's airplane to Costa Rica on a vacation. And we met....

Note about Douglas Siple and aircraft and parts purchases: In 1970, the aircraft was purchase by a Canadian company headed by Doug Siple, a Trans Canada Airlines pilot. That company also bought the thousands of aircraft parts that had been stored in the bom shelters around the airport.

Another Siple bird:
pv1ventura-33369-1.jpg

Bureau #: 33369
Construction #:
237-5378
Civil Registration:
N1590V
N159V
N159U
VH-SFF
Model(s):
PV-1
GR Mk. V
Spartan Ventura
Name: None
Last info: 2002
History:
Delivered to Royal Canadian AF as 2221.
- BOC: July 17, 1943.
- SOC: Aug. 11, 1950.
Douglas W. Siple/ Siple Aviation Ltd, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1953.
- Acquired from storage, Vulcan AB, Alberta.

This plane is now for sale. It is hangared in Searcy, Arkansas. Contact Dardee Broadbent 501-250-3123 for more information.

Moody is the builder. We just need to know what Siple is.

I say he rebuilt a Swift.

I thought there were issues with starting with a certified design but maybe not.

There are issues with starting with a certified design, but they are not insurmountable. They allow it if you make substantial changes to the type design. I know one guy that took a Pacer, put PA-18 wings on it, extended the fuselage, and pot an IO-540 on it. That plane flies with an Ex/AB certificate.

Back