Something must be done. A hair raising emegancy landing.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
A C-152 made an off airport landing in San Diego a few days ago. Watch the news cast, then continue watching as another newscaster breathlessly points out how endangered a nearby neighborhood, and a high school was by this 152. Also take note of the miles, and miles, of empty fields.

It is clear that something must be done about this GA threat to public safety. :hairraise:

-John

http://www.10news.com/news/plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-southbound-sr-125-in-south-bay-032213

The written story and most of the video (till they got to the bogus "threat" part) seemed quite reasonable to me; the pilot did a good job of down-playing the incident.

Hopefully the news doesn't hear about the 172 that went down near French Valley the other day....they'll think that it is raining airplanes.

Heck I land my airplane next to a hospital with no power most of the time I fly!

:rolleyes2:

Why not show how close the houses are to just about any airport?
Hell, he probably could've put it on the roof of the high school without hurting anyone inside.

Their job: create anxiety.
Their weapon: people's own ignorance.

On a lighter note: a very good job with that emergency!! :happydance:

The written story and most of the video (till they got to the bogus "threat" part) seemed quite reasonable to me; the pilot did a good job of down-playing the incident.

Absolutely agree. The other San Diego primary TV station, channel 8, did a reasonably good job on this story, except for where they noted that the pilot had failed to file a flight plan. :rolleyes:

-John

What is also of even greater concern to me is all of the other aircraft that routinely fly over that very same neighborhood and school. Many of them doing it without filing flight plans like the reckless pilot in the video had neglected to do.

It's scary out here in San Diego. :rofl:

I wonder if I could get a job as a news script writer?

-John

What is also of even greater concern to me is all of the other aircraft that routinely fly over that very same neighborhood and school. Many of them doing it without filing flight plans like the reckless pilot in the video had neglected to do.

It's scary out here in San Diego. :rofl:

I wonder if I could get a job as a news script writer?

-John

That was exactly my point too! This pilot, in flying within gliding distance of schools and houses, does exactly what every other pilot does when operating an aircraft.

Just plain silly.

They act like losing an engine means that the pilot loses all control of the aircraft.

I found it more interesting that in the trending stories on the side were four murders and a unfortunate three year old who died from cancer. Seems murder is a more common way of dying in San Diego than planes falling out of the sky. Who woulda thought that.

OMG think of the children!
gif.gif

I never understood the media's obsession with the flight plan thing until there was a local accident here (a Bonanza double fatal) and they live streamed a press conference given by the NTSB investigator assigned to the case which happened a day or two after the accident. The press was hungry for answers but an investigation does not happen overnight. Most of the questions were met with "we will have more information when the report comes out in 9 months". But by the time the NTSB arrives on scene one of the few things already known definitively is whether or not the aircraft was flying on a flight plan. So it happens to be one of the few things featured in the limited set of information they release to the press right away and of course it gets printed. Usually the press is most hungry for information right after the accident but there is only so much to report.

They act like losing an engine means that the pilot loses all control of the aircraft.
Exactly. Because that is what really happens. If you had ever watched TV or a movie, you would know that when the engine fails - or even just runs poorly - you lose control. Sometimes an exceptional pilot can pull out of the uncontrolled dive by putting both forarms behind the yoke and pulling as hard as possible, but there ususally is an impact where the airplane takes out several vehicles, buildings, trees, etc. while bouncing along. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Because that is what really happens. If you had ever watched TV or a movie, you would know that when the engine fails - or even just runs poorly - you lose control. Sometimes an exceptional pilot can pull out of the uncontrolled dive by putting both forarms behind the yoke and pulling as hard as possible, but there ususally is an impact where the airplane takes out several vehicles, buildings, trees, etc. while bouncing along. :rolleyes:

I have never been able to get that Hollywood impending crash sound that all airplanes make when you push the nose down. I am thinking something on the Arrow must be broken.

A C-152 made an off airport landing in San Diego a few days ago. Watch the news cast, then continue watching as another newscaster breathlessly points out how endangered a nearby neighborhood, and a high school was by this 152. Also take note of the miles, and miles, of empty fields.

Cessna 150

Absolutely agree. The other San Diego primary TV station, channel 8, did a reasonably good job on this story, except for where they noted that the pilot had failed to file a flight plan. :rolleyes:

No flight plan? Interesting. He said he was in the clouds.

Which would mean it was sheer luck that the airplane touched down exactly where the pilot wanted it to.

No flight plan? Interesting. He said he was in the clouds.
It could be that he didn't actually pre-file a full flight plan. In SoCal, it is very common to pick up a clearance (ATC enters just the basics in the system) in the air.

Not positive how the media gets their 'flight plan' info, but that could be the difference.

It could be that he didn't actually pre-file a full flight plan. In SoCal, it is very common to pick up a clearance (ATC enters just the basics in the system) in the air.

Not positive how the media gets their 'flight plan' info, but that could be the difference.

That's considered filing a flight plan.

Yes, as far as us knowledgable people go it is....but I am not positive that the average person in the media understands that, that is all I am saying.

So given that level of understanding by the average person in the media, it's unlikely the pilot was asked if he had pre-filed a flight plan. He either filed in some way, even if directly with ATC shortly before receiving an IFR clearance, or he was in IMC without an IFR clearance, or the statement about the flight plan is completely erroneous.

A very revealing statement from that article:

"The carburetor is iced up and the engine finally stops," Truitt said.

How much discussion has there been in the last few days about carb ice, the lack of training in recognition and handling it, the number of forced landings due to it, and so on?

As far as the big "threat:" A C150 weighs 1650 pounds max and hits the ground (under control) at around 50 mph. Next to crowded residential neighborhoods are streets and freeways with trucks and trailers loaded with 10,000 gallons of gasoline, going as much as 70 mph. Where's the bigger threat? Not to mention propane tankers, diesel tankers, compressed gases of many kinds, chlorine and the like.

Duh.

Dan

A very revealing statement from that article:

"The carburetor is iced up and the engine finally stops," Truitt said.

How much discussion has there been in the last few days about carb ice, the lack of training in recognition and handling it, the number of forced landings due to it, and so on?

As far as the big "threat:" A C150 weighs 1650 pounds max and hits the ground (under control) at around 50 mph. Next to crowded residential neighborhoods are streets and freeways with trucks and trailers loaded with 10,000 gallons of gasoline, going as much as 70 mph. Where's the bigger threat? Not to mention propane tankers, diesel tankers, compressed gases of many kinds, chlorine and the like.

Duh.

Dan
Excellent point. What do they think is going down the highway so close to homes and schools? Smart Cars? :mad2:

I almost never file a flight plan in my 150. I must be really, really lucky. ;)
Crap reporting.

See what closing all those control towers is going to do? Airplanes landing where ever they want!

Not enough Class G airspace to legally operate IFR.
Agreed; I was talking about IMC, not IFR. Nitpicking, I guess. Not sure how they could have been in G airspace there, anyway... even if they were about to enter the pattern at Brown, they'd most likely be in the D airspace if they were that low. But for all we know, they could well have been over Mexico when the trouble started... the border is not far from there.
There's a lot of gaps in the article cited... don't know if he was under IFR, or VFR and forced to descend into low clouds due to the ailing engine, or what.:dunno:

Back