Something I Never Knew

It’s good that you didn’t know it. That means you’ve never tried to fly when your fuel tanks were empty.

NEWS FLASH: Cars struggle to continue moving when out of fuel.

You should bear in mind that news reporting is likely this bad on every subject, and there are subjects where you don't happen to know better.

In my entire life, I have never once seen a news story about something I had personal knowledge of where the reporters didn't misunderstand, confuse, and distort the daylights out of the matter. Journalists (so-called) get degrees (if they have one) in journalism, not in the subjects they report about.

In my entire life, I have never once seen a news story about something I had personal knowledge of where the reporters didn't misunderstand, confuse, and distort the daylights out of the matter.
You criticize, but the headline is not wrong.

To highlight the quality of their work, let me point you to some of the other work from this journalist:

Screenshot_20240209-095112.pngScreenshot_20240209-095140.pngScreenshot_20240209-095057.png

Another piece of useless information.

Now I'm no English major...but in my thinking it most certainly IS wrong.
and yeah, I'm probably being pendantic here....

The aircraft doesn't struggle...it's just not capable.
The pilot MAY struggle to make the aircraft maintain altitude..... but the aircraft ain't struggling, it's just doin' its thing in glider mode.

and To halffast's comment...true enough, and you make a great point for us all to keep perspective. They don't need to be experts in the area that they are reporting about, but they should I think have a better grasp of the language...and do a much better job of asking the good questions and stating facts clearly.

Here's my favorite, and the reason I usually don't bother opening the weekly newspaper farm bureau sends me any more:

View attachment 125222
I initially read the author as Kevin Fyre, which would have been appropriate for this article.

"Journalists" are not writing for us pilots, as we (usually) have enough common sense to survive flying in light airplanes, but much of their audience needs printed instructions on the heel to be able to pour **** out of a boot.

I initially read the author as Kevin Fyre, which would have been appropriate for this article.

"Journalists" are not writing for us pilots, as we (usually) have enough common sense to survive flying in light airplanes, but much of their audience needs printed instructions on the heel to be able to pour **** out of a boot.
I mean, Frye is almost as good.

To highlight the quality of their work, let me point you to some of the other work
Useful to recognize that the reporter seldom writes the headline, and for wire service stories like these, the reporter never writes or even usually gets to see the headline. Headline writers do these things on purpose, too, to amuse themselves.

I've written some great technical articles only to be apalled by the headline that was attached...

Paul

You should bear in mind that news reporting is likely this bad on every subject, and there are subjects where you don't happen to know better.

In my entire life, I have never once seen a news story about something I had personal knowledge of where the reporters didn't misunderstand, confuse, and distort the daylights out of the matter. Journalists (so-called) get degrees (if they have one) in journalism, not in the subjects they report about.

Gell-Man Amnesia Effect

In a speech in 2002, Crichton coined the term "Gell-Mann amnesia effect" to describe the phenomenon of experts reading articles within their fields of expertise and finding them to be error-ridden and full of misunderstanding, but seemingly forgetting those experiences when reading articles in the same publications written on topics outside of their fields of expertise, which they believe to be credible.

Useful to recognize that the reporter seldom writes the headline, and for wire service stories like these, the reporter never writes or even usually gets to see the headline. Headline writers do these things on purpose, too, to amuse themselves.

Paul
I've even started noticing click bait headlines on stories on (supposedly) top tier media.

"Tax law revisions will have a huge impact on this.."

Very annoying.

I remember the CNN report on the Columbia disaster. Their report said that it broke up on re-entry at something like 12 times the speed of light.

Well, that would be news, yep.

Those that can do, do. Those that can't, are usually inspectors. Those that can do neither, but have degrees in communications talk about things they couldn't possibly understand. Day after day, and people believe them.

Back