Somebody stop me

I just completed this one that @write-stuff put together and expect to take the written in a couple weeks. I am doing well on the practice tests.

I started it in beta so it evolved a bit during my course but the thing I like about it is it is pretty motivating especially if you sign up along with someone else.
There is a leader board and you remove questions from the test pool as you progress so the competition creates a bit of motivation.

I bought both Gleim and Kings and never completed either. GM helped because @Cajun_Flyer and I signed up at the same time and were taunting one another w/ our leader board positions through out. In the end, she got the sigh off first. grrrrr. Turns out she's pretty smart for a girl ;)

I will let you know how I do on the written but just the fact that I completed it is pretty good for me given I bailed on the other two prominent players in the field. Here is the link: http://www.goldmethod.com/

I'm currently doing King for my IR. Ive been pretty happy with it and will take the written next week.

I used the Jepp Instrument book and the Gliem with all the test questions. Then I took the practice tests on the computer until I scored 90's and went and took the test. Passed no problem.

I just completed this one that @write-stuff put together and expect to take the written in a couple weeks. I am doing well on the practice tests.

I started it in beta so it evolved a bit during my course but the thing I like about it is it is pretty motivating especially if you sign up along with someone else.
There is a leader board and you remove questions from the test pool as you progress so the competition creates a bit of motivation.

I bought both Gleim and Kings and never completed either. GM helped because @Cajun_Flyer and I signed up at the same time and were taunting one another w/ our leader board positions through out. In the end, she got the sigh off first. grrrrr. Turns out she's pretty smart for a girl ;)

I will let you know how I do on the written but just the fact that I completed it is pretty good for me given I bailed on the other two prominent players in the field. Here is the link: http://www.goldmethod.com/

Well now we know what makes you tick... LOL...

I'm about to find out if the Sheppard air app is current.. I'm taking the test Saturday, scoring in mid 90's on the app.

I've been using the app to find where I need study, then studying... it's not rote memorization. But it's also helping with remembering the material. And, getting better and seeing the score improve is worth a lot. A also have the King IFR video stuff (online, not downloads) and was... "meh". I'm sure it's fine, but the style moved too slow for me.

I'm about to find out if the Sheppard air app is current.. I'm taking the test Saturday, scoring in mid 90's on the app.

I've been using the app to find where I need study, then studying... it's not rote memorization. But it's also helping with remembering the material. And, getting better and seeing the score improve is worth a lot. A also have the King IFR video stuff (online, not downloads) and was... "meh". I'm sure it's fine, but the style moved too slow for me.

Great, I'm standing by for your opinion.

I'm familiar with Sheppard and I've known a couple of people who've passed the test because it USED to be word for word. But haven't the tests all changed now? However, I'd like to actually learn the material rather than just learn the test. I'm doing a lot of this on my own since my CFII is in and out of town. (He flies for Boutique) and I need an endorsement to take the test.

Go to www.asa2fly.com and click on the Resources tab. Under Updates, click on FAA Knowledge Exams, then select the test your are interested in.

Bob

I'm about to buy King School's Instrument Written & Checkride Course for $398 unless someone can suggest something better and/or cheaper.

I'll wait for a while

They will give you a better price if you call and ask. 20% off is typical. Worth it I think.

I'm probably going to forget it all by the time I get around to taking the actual test.

I tried King as well and, while I found I learned and absorbed the material better, I also found that I can only take Martha is very small doses.

Was that a Freudian slip?

Last edited:
I'm probably going to forget it all by the time I get around to taking the actual test.

I tried King as well and, while I found I learned and absorbed the material better, I also found that I can only take Martha is very small doses.

I know what you mean Dez as I bought their A&P course. Based on what the fine folks here have said, I've decided against it.

Well....how'd ya do?

Well....how'd ya do?

I'm as surprised by my score as anyone, and I'm prepared to scan the test results to prove it... I got 98.

I should have gotten a hundred because the question I missed was VERY similar to a question shephard poses. Two answers were phrased nearly identically.

That said, I expected to do much worse, since I simply wasn't going to answer (well, I'd guess) at xcountry or TAS type problems. But none were presented. I think there's a huge random component to a given score. If you don't see the types of questions you don't know, then you do better than if you did.

I feel like sheppard was a great way to prepare. I used it in flashcard mode a lot at the beginning, until the questions were familiar, stopping along the way if I didn't know one to look it up. As time went by I found fewer and fewer questions I didn't know. Near the end, I was using quiz mode with 60 questions, same way. For me, at the last, I needed to review prog chart symbology, cloud clearance and compass behavior. I had one cloud clearance req question. :)

I recommend it. I noticed a lot of the same questions, and a lot of very similar questions. I encountered NO material I hadn't at least seen some questions on in the app.

But watch out... there are some questions where there's no gray area.... they're WRONG.

For example, I got a question about heading eastbound on some V999, VFR-on-top... what's the MEA? No sweat. I looked. Single answer. Go back to the test.

EACH ANSWER HAD TWO ALTITUDES.

I think what they wanted was what two altitudes appropriate for VFR were available given the MEA of the segment, but that's not what they asked. MEA has a definite meaning, and this ain't it.

(Even if you attempt to explain it away as a more general purpose meaning, you'll have to explain how you can have two minimums on a segment that had only one MEA.)

Last edited:
Awesome and congratulations!

And thanks to all of you who talked me out of spending money on something I didn't really need.

Tim

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what a "torrent site" is.

Pirated copyright material and its illegal. Your ISP can shut you down permanently if the copyright owner reports it

Back