Somebody pork butted on my kitchen counter

And it begins.

Because of the way they were cut, there will be lots of surface area for bark.

So how long with that go? I haven't managed to successfully pull off pork butt in the Weber, to date.

So how long with that go? I haven't managed to successfully pull off pork butt in the Weber, to date.
That's in my Weber smoker. Butts generally take me 12 hrs. These migh take less because of there cut. My Weber grill is smoking chicken now for our dinner either tonight or tomorrow.

And she also gave me some eggs for my trouble. They made a great breakfast a couple hours ago.

Edit:

For a butt inside a Weber grill: Maybe 4 hrs to get smoke to soak in, then finish in the oven.

Last edited:
5 hrs into it, they are at 165 +/-, which is what I'm looking for. In a little bit I'll wrap then in foil with a little honey and brown sugar, 3 to a package. They'll finish that way for another 3-4(?) hrs until they hit around 195.

DSCN3449.JPG

Not a big fan of the way they were cut, from a smoker perspective. I *think* they might have lost too much moisture, but I'll find out when I pull them. They are resting right now. When I opened the foil to check temps and take a look, I didn't see as much liquid as I'm used to. I pour that liquid off, skim the fat, then return the liquid back into the meat. I think they'll be just fine, I hope they will. They sure look and smell good, our BBQ-loving cat keeps following me around.

That looks good. I'm about to throw down on chicken and tri tip. This will be covered direct heat.

They picked up the Q a few minutes ago and paid me back with some meat from their freezer.

Now I have to figure out how to cook a leg of goat.

I hope it tastes like chicken.

Dang if it didn't happen again.

1 butt, 1 brisket. The ribs are still in the cryovac, I'll deal with them sometime tomorrow morning.

My buddy and I are going to be cooking all day. At least 4 butts, 3-4 briskets, and a mess of ribs.

One of the butts and one of the briskets are for a party in a couple weeks. The rest will be for friends and family...mostly family...ok, mostly me. The other guy is doing the same thing for his freezer.

The before and after (of the brisket). That's a pretty good sized flat (top) and will make a lot of sandwiches. The point is going to make some outstanding burnt ends.

It also shows a little of why brisket is so expensive. After trimming and cooking, yields are approx 50%. It was $3.28/lb in the cryovac, it'll be $6.56/lb after cooking (not counting rub and other expenses).

DSCN3452.JPG DSCN3453.JPG

To paraphrase Sir Mix a Lot, I like pig butts and I cannot lie. I have one going on tomorrow morning, on the gas grill no less. Two burners on low, the butt goes over the one that's off.

I can't generate much smoke, but no one here likes smoky barbecue anyway.

To paraphrase Sir Mix a Lot, I like pig butts and I cannot lie. I have one going on tomorrow morning, on the gas grill no less. Two burners on low, the butt goes over the one that's off.

I can't generate much smoke, but no one here likes smoky barbecue anyway.
Add some wood chips to an aluminum foil package with holes poked in it and put it on one of the burners. You'll get some smoke flavor that way.

Two butts in the egg right now, some ribs will go in later. Nothing says holiday weekend like smoked meats!

Add some wood chips to an aluminum foil package with holes poked in it and put it on one of the burners. You'll get some smoke flavor that way.

I do have a smoker box, and I do use it. The problem with the grill is that if you have it turned up enough to get smoke, the temperature gets too hot. I left it turned up for the first hours to get a little smoke, then turned it to low.

This piece is around 3.5 pounds, and after four hours it's up in the mid 160s. I'm down to one burner, and it's at low.

Two butts in the egg right now, some ribs will go in later. Nothing says holiday weekend like smoked meats!
Ditto... got 25lbs. of pork thawing in the fridge now and will start the smokers early Sunday morning for a late afternoon get together. I don't know about you guys, but I smoke my pork hard and heavy for about 2 hours (to get a good ring and char) and then pull it and foil it all and put it into the oven @ 200° for another 4 hours or so and it always comes out nice and tender and easily shreddable. Been doing it this way for years and it turns out just the same as if I'd let sit in the smokers all day. Granted, I slice my butts up into smaller pieces (aka rib style) just because I like a lot of burnt ends in my mixture, so after 6 hours total time everything comes out perfect. :thumbsup:

We'll, we finally got to eat, thanks to the Penn State game going so long. I was very pleased with the results. As expected, it wasn't very smoky, but it was nice and moist, and very tender. My wife and daughter ate it with traditional barbecue sauce, I alternated between just salt and pepper and Fox Brothers spicy sauce. Good eating either way.

It went on the grill at 7:45 and came off at 4:45, I put it in a cooler and we ate at 7. That's for half of a 7 pound butt. Next time I'm going to go a little heavier on the onion and garlic powder in the rub.

Last edited:
I trimmed and doctored the butt last night, and trimmed the brisket last night. Got up at 5am so I could get moving to my buddy's place about 40 minutes away and get the fire started by 630. We got butts on the smoker around 730 or so, and briskets on about 8-830 (I can't remember).

Stuff takes approx 12-13 hrs, so by the time things were off the smoker and rested and ready for pulling/slicing, I finally got home about 1030pm. A long day. It got longer since both us old guys fell asleep in front of a football game, waiting for the butts and points to finish and the fire went out. We had to relight it and that cost us about an hour, maybe two. Serves us right, I suppose.

Total damage today: 5 pork butts, 5 briskets, 10-12(?) slabs of rubs, and 25 lb of home made sausage (jalapeno/pepper-jack). And a dozen chicken thighs. And cheddar brats for lunch. And beers. And Old Fashioneds. And water and Gatorade.

The rain and hail didn't last too long this morning.

1) The fire was lit at one end when I got there, it burns along and we adjust vents to keep a constant temp inside the smoker.

2) Butts and briskets ready to go in.

3) A little hail storm doesn't stop us, that's how we roll.

4) Some of the ribs.

5) The burnt ends and sliced brisket were/are outstanding.

6) The pulled pork is very "good".

Attachments

• DSCN3454.JPG
    DSCN3454.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3455.JPG
    DSCN3455.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3456.JPG
    DSCN3456.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3460.JPG
    DSCN3460.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN3461.JPG
    DSCN3461.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN3462.JPG
    DSCN3462.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 20
I do have a smoker box, and I do use it. The problem with the grill is that if you have it turned up enough to get smoke, the temperature gets too hot. I left it turned up for the first hours to get a little smoke, then turned it to low.

This piece is around 3.5 pounds, and after four hours it's up in the mid 160s. I'm down to one burner, and it's at low.
OK - yeah, those smaller butt sections do cook fast. But you can get a lot of bark that way, good stuff.

@Matthew. Who the heck were you feeding? Pork picnic went on tonight at 21:00. Ribs will be added at 0900 tomorrow. Should be eating around 16:00.

@Matthew Been taking care of your cat through all of this cooking? Or has the cat been suffering?
The cat has moved out. My daughter took it with her when she moved to the opposite corner of the state, But she's back for the weekend and I'll send a cooler full of the Q back with her so the cat can go nuts.

I spent the day with a pit-bull following me around, sniffing the air.

@Matthew. Who the heck were you feeding? Pork picnic went on tonight at 21:00. Ribs will be added at 0900 tomorrow. Should be eating around 16:00.
Between the two of us (my buddy and I).

I'll keep one butt, one brisket, and 2 slabs. They'll end up in my own freezer, and going home with my daughter when she heads back to her place in a couple days, and other leftovers are already marked for someone else.

One butt and one brisket will go to a party in a couple weekends. I have a feeling that a lot of that sausage will make it to the party, too.

My buddy will take what he cooked and package it up for his family to take home with them.

It's all good. Besides, if you are going to fire up a smoker and cook all day, you might as well make it worth your while.

@Matthew You go to so much trouble when you could just go to Arby's for brisket and short ribs ya know. :rolleyes::rofl::biggrin:

Mmmmm. Can’t wait. But both probes are only showing 175° so far. It has been on for 6 hours at 225°.
DDE0359C-ADAB-412B-83FB-D5EC3BDD58B3.jpeg

nom, mom, nom.

That looks like about a five pounder?

Shouldn't be much longer.

Around these parts we generally pull it off at 165, sprinkle a little brown sugar on it, drizzle some honey over it, then wrap it in foil and put it back on.

nom, mom, nom.

That looks like about a five pounder?

Shouldn't be much longer.

Around these parts we generally pull it off at 165, sprinkle a little brown sugar on it, drizzle some honey over it, then wrap it in foil and put it back on.
Close. 5.9#

Close. 5.9#
Even though I only put half the recommended amount of sugar in the rub, I find that gives me enough tasty crust without tasting sweet. I'll wrap it at 190 degrees and leave it on for another half hour, then take it off and let it rest for at least a half hour to an hour. We may be eating late tonight, but as long as we don't run out of Scotch, I'll be fine. Leslie on the other hand has to go to work tomorrow.

Ditto, pull at 165, season to taste, foil wrap, then on up to 190. Pull from the smoker and let it rest a while then pull it and dig in!

Even though I only put half the recommended amount of sugar in the rub, I find that gives me enough tasty crust without tasting sweet. I'll wrap it at 190 degrees and leave it on for another half hour, then take it off and let it rest for at least a half hour to an hour. We may be eating late tonight, but as long as we don't run out of Scotch, I'll be fine. Leslie on the other hand has to go to work tomorrow.

The 5 butts I cooked Saturday were about 10# each. My experience is that pork butts yield about 60-65% after cooking.

Ditto, pull at 165, season to taste, foil wrap, then on up to 190. Pull from the smoker and let it rest a while then pull it and dig in!
For a Tennessee guy you do it the way the KC guys do.

I have to be careful, though, when I cook for home. Contest cooking pretty much requires over-seasoning and it can be overpowering for a dinner portion. Sometimes I get a little heavy on the rub at home.

For a Tennessee guy you do it the way the KC guys do.

I have to be careful, though, when I cook for home. Contest cooking pretty much requires over-seasoning and it can be overpowering for a dinner portion. Sometimes I get a little heavy on the rub at home.
My Tennessee version is cooked in a crock pot with a vinegar-salt-pepper (black and red) mixture. It is amazingly good considering it is cooked inside.

Back