Some quick pattern work (video)

Looked fine to me... but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to bash something.

Looked fine to me as well. Only thing I'll mention and I don't mean to nit pick as it's not a big deal, but the "final leg" of the pattern is just "final". No right or left final.

Looks like beautiful scenery where you fly Troy! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Lookin' good...nice crisp radio calls. Always fun to watch videos to stay engaged in flying (weather's crap here right now, but we need the rain!).

Looked fine to me as well. Only thing I'll mention and I don't mean to nit pick as it's not a big deal, but the "final leg" of the pattern is just "final". No right or left final.

Looks like beautiful scenery where you fly Troy! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, the right final isn't necessary I guess.

And yes I am definitely blessed to be able to fly where I do.

Wasatch mountains to the east. Oquirrh mountains to the west. Utah lake to the south. Great Salt Lake to the north.

Looked good to me.

Not a critique, just a question. My CFI always had me turn crosswind at 500ft or the end of the runway(8000 ft here)whichever comes last, so I was always at 500 before the end and used the end to time my turn typically. Just wondering what you are using to time your crosswind turn. Maybe it takes you out that far to get 500ft, or are you're using some other criteria?

Not much to critique - looked pretty good for normal landings!

Question/Assumption: Target landing point was the 1000' marker each time?

Second one you could have taken the power off a touch sooner and hit it.

Third one you landed before the marker.

"PA.IV.B.S9 Touch down within the available runway or water landing area, within 400 feet beyond a specified point with no drift, and with the airplane’s longitudinal axis aligned with and over the runway centerline."

All three -- the video got letterboxed so it very hard to see on my phone -- but is that a PAPI in the grass on the left?

If so, it appears as you get to the numbers you tend to let the PAPI go all red.

Not a problem, a safe landing is assured, but you can keep the two white ones a bit longer and hold the glidepath a little longer if you like.

Exiting the runway you cheated the taxiway centerline a bit.

Again, not unsafe in any way, but a habit that'll have to be broken if you step up and fly something with a wide main gear stance, a twin with props hanging over the grass/taxiway markers, or really long wings.

Best to just get in the habit of being right on the line.

The above are nitpicks, since you said to feel free.

I like the smoothness -- the power changes are smooth, the aircraft handling is smooth, and the landings are smooth and the outcome of the landings is never in doubt.

I think the first one looked the most precise and got a nice stall horn too.

The non-nitpicky version:

I'm jealous. ;)

Looks like a lovely set of bumps and circuits on a nice day!

Power off (simulated engine out from the downwind) short fields, next time! ;)

Looked good to me.

Not a critique, just a question. My CFI always had me turn crosswind at 500ft or the end of the runway(8000 ft here)whichever comes last, so I was always at 500 before the end and used the end to time my turn typically. Just wondering what you are using to time your crosswind turn. Maybe it takes you out that far to get 500ft, or are you're using some other criteria?

I turn crosswind at 600' alg which usually puts me at tpa just as I'm rolling out onto the downwind.

Not much to critique - looked pretty good for normal landings!

Question/Assumption: Target landing point was the 1000' marker each time?

Second one you could have taken the power off a touch sooner and hit it.

Third one you landed before the marker.

"PA.IV.B.S9 Touch down within the available runway or water landing area, within 400 feet beyond a specified point with no drift, and with the airplane’s longitudinal axis aligned with and over the runway centerline."

All three -- the video got letterboxed so it very hard to see on my phone -- but is that a PAPI in the grass on the left?

If so, it appears as you get to the numbers you tend to let the PAPI go all red.

Not a problem, a safe landing is assured, but you can keep the two white ones a bit longer and hold the glidepath a little longer if you like.

Exiting the runway you cheated the taxiway centerline a bit.

Again, not unsafe in any way, but a habit that'll have to be broken if you step up and fly something with a wide main gear stance, a twin with props hanging over the grass/taxiway markers, or really long wings.

Best to just get in the habit of being right on the line.

The above are nitpicks, since you said to feel free.

I like the smoothness -- the power changes are smooth, the aircraft handling is smooth, and the landings are smooth and the outcome of the landings is never in doubt.

I think the first one looked the most precise and got a nice stall horn too.

The non-nitpicky version:

I'm jealous. ;)

Looks like a lovely set of bumps and circuits on a nice day!

Power off (simulated engine out from the downwind) short fields, next time! ;)

Yeah I was shooting for the 1000 ft marks.
Still getting used to landing with less weight though.

I definitely cut the corner taxiing off too, I'll watch that in the future.

Yeah I was shooting for the 1000 ft marks.
Still getting used to landing with less weight though.

I definitely cut the corner taxiing off too, I'll watch that in the future.

Ahhh. You kicked the fat instructor out!

Haha. I understand... :)

Back