Some Pharging Son of a Bastich Knocked Over my Frakking Bike!

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
Went down to the basement garage yesterday to find my previously pristine bike on its side! Someone somehow knocked it over. The broken windshield and bent clutch lever I can repair on the cheap. The scratches on the stator cover will remain; some wounds never heal. My bike will wear its scars with pride.

I thought I was being profligate in purchasing the frame sliders, but they earned their keep yesterday. The fairings came through the ordeal unscathed. Thank goodness, I could have wound up with thousands of dollars in repair bills instead of a few odds and ends I can do myself.

Went down to the basement garage yesterday to find my previously pristine bike on its side! Someone somehow knocked it over. The broken windshield and bent clutch lever I can repair on the cheap. The scratches on the stator cover will remain; some wounds never heal. My bike will wear its scars with pride.

I thought I was being profligate in purchasing the frame sliders, but they earned their keep yesterday. The fairings came through the ordeal unscathed. Thank goodness, I could have wound up with thousands of dollars in repair bills instead of a few odds and ends I can do myself.

Ouch -- that hurts.

Last month I stopped at a gas station to put air in rear tire that was about 5psi low.

I set up the kickstand and unscrewed the valve cap.

The kickstand was on some loose pavement that broke under the concentrated weight.

Down goes the bike.

Grrrrrr.......

Yeah, that really sucks canal water. In a way this is better, since it was someone else's carelessness (or malice) and not my own. I would have been OK if they had left a note or something, but just leaving it was wrong.

I left a restaurant to see my Suzuki Intruder on its side, helmet rocking back and forth on the pavement, and a dude in a beat up pickup with a Harley sticker in the back window pealing out of the parking lot.

I'm not sayin' he did it, but I ain't sayin' he didn't.

Was it this guy?

Attachments

• Roman Troy Moronie.jpg
    Roman Troy Moronie.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 28
What are you driving? My scooter is a KZ1100. We have fun on it but I'd like to put some new shiny pipes on it.

I left a restaurant to see my Suzuki Intruder on its side, helmet rocking back and forth on the pavement, and a dude in a beat up pickup with a Harley sticker in the back window pealing out of the parking lot.

I'm not sayin' he did it, but I ain't sayin' he didn't.

Harley sticker guys have problems, at least some of them do. One tried to take me and my Sportster into a ditch the other day. I'm thinkin' it was the typical case of motorcycles are invisible to any/all cagers. Of course the flip side was the Winger who was cruising through rush hour traffic yesterday like he was an 18 wheeler. I'm all for occupying the lane but this guy is in for a bad day in the not too distant future.

Sorry to hear about the stationary hits on your and Steingar's bikes.

Not everyone is like that *******. A few months after I bought my motorcycle I was shopping in a local woodworker store. A guy came in and told me he accidently knocked over my bike. No real damage and he helped me stand up the bike. If nothing else, it was a good lesson for his kid that was with him.

The upshot is I'm about $70 poorer and have about an hour's work to do tomorrow. Hooray for the Iron Pony!

Re: Some Pharging CAGER Son of a Bastich Knocked Over my Frakking Bike!

<snarl> Would you PLEASE delete the word "cager" from your vocabulary? It's insulting as hell. </snarl>

Grow a force shield Tron boy.

"cager" is offensive? Since when?? And where is it supposed to be offensive?? I've heard that term since the late '60's - nah, I'm calling shenanigans on this one! :yes:

Because it implies that those of us who drive cars are, and should be, in cages.
The car is a cage. The engineers that build them often refer to the cage inside the car. A cage is safe -- what is so offensive about the inside of a car being a cage?

Cage is used in lots of different applications, generally implying, a structure around a human occupant to protect them.

Cage is used in lots of different applications, generally implying, a structure around a human occupant to protect them.
I'm sure the guys who go swimming with the sharks are glad that they are cagers...

I don't have the energy to engage in a full blown dispute over this thought but I gotta say I disagree with you. It doesn't imply, it describes...

Because it implies that those of us who drive cars are, and should be, in cages.

Oh..and Steingar...sorry about your bike....

Dah, the car is a cage, keeping you from the world experienced by bikers.
Exactly the kind of insult I'm referring to.

You see, my view of the world experienced by bikers is shaped by 17 years of cleaning them up off the roads as a paramedic. After that, there's no way in hell you're getting me on a motorcycle.

You're certainly welcome to pursue your hobby unmolested by the rest of us. Please grant those of us who do not share it the same courtesy.

A REAL bike is human-powered. Jes' sayin'.....

O the drama!

Sorry about your bike Steingar.

Dah, the car is a cage, keeping you from the world experienced by bikers.

Exactly the kind of insult I'm referring to.

That's not an insult. It's a statement of fact.

People inside cars, trucks, buses, RV's, semi-trucks, sherman tanks, are completely physically isolated from the world their vehicle is operating in. If you don't believe that, the next time you're in a torrential downpour and hailstorm in your car, open the door and stand outside for a few minutes.

BTW, I own two cages (Jeep and Motorhome) and when I drive them instead of riding the motorcycle, I'm a cager too.

As for the intentionally insulting context of the word, if cagers wouldn't attempt to murder people on foot, bicycles and motorcycles, the insulting version of the term wouldn't be in use. But people would rather murder someone than operate their vehicle in a sensible manner. The insulting version of the word is self inflicted.

Last edited:
Grumble. I guess you folks who insist on using the word "cager" don't complain when others hang insulting terms on folks, whether or not they agree with it...tell me, do you use the N-word?

I've riden motorcycles from the age of nine. My first bike was a Honda 50cc dirt bike. It got steadily larger from there to bigger dirt bikes, then bigger street bikes. At one point in my life (college and a bit thereafter) all I could afford for transportation was my motorcycle. I know the foibles of this mode of transport very well. Weather, cars, trucks, bad pavement, oil and rain mixtures, gravel, etc. When people started to look me in the eye and STILL pull out in front of me, I began to think of another hobby. I sold the bikes and started flying. Never looked back. Well, maybe every Spring when I go into a motorcycle shop and drool. Its like a virus that never gets cured. :frown3:

If people stopped texting when driving their Chevy Suburban I may get that Ducati I always wanted. Yeah, like that'll ever happen.

Bikes are cool. Sorry to hear about yours being damaged Steingar.

Last edited:
Grumble. I guess you folks who insist on using the word "cager" don't complain when others hang insulting terms on folks, whether or not they agree with it...tell me, do you use the N-word?

You'd be shocked to hear what people call me because I ride a motorcycle..and I wear crash gear...and especially since it's not a harley. Crash gear in the mall sometimes is public humiliation galore. I usually leave my earplugs in on the rare occasion that I have to walk into a mall.

That's not an insult. It's a statement of fact.

People inside cars, trucks, buses, RV's, semi-trucks, sherman tanks, are completely physically isolated from the world their vehicle is operating in. If you don't believe that, the next time you're in a torrential downpour and hailstorm in your car, open the door and stand outside for a few minutes.

BTW, I own two cages (Jeep and Motorhome) and when I drive them instead of riding the motorcycle, I'm a cager too.

As for the intentionally insulting context of the word, if cagers wouldn't attempt to murder people on foot, bicycles and motorcycles, the insulting version of the term wouldn't be in use. But people would rather murder someone than operate their vehicle in a sensible manner. The insulting version of the word is self inflicted.

By your same definition then bikers are completely isolated from the world around them since they often wear helmets and protective clothing.

Obviously I don't agree with your comment that cars completely isolate you from the world around you. Bikers may be more exposed to the elements but they don't have exclusive rights to them.

I don't view the word "cager" as an insult. I view it as someone who protects themselves whether it be in full leathers and helmet which I ALWAYS wore or a vehicle surrounding me. With the current state of the roads and bubble headed teenage girls texting while driving their Mom's minivan or SUV I will keep the vehicle around me.

By your same definition then bikers are completely isolated from the world around them since they often wear helmets and protective clothing.

Obviously I don't agree with your comment that cars completely isolate you from the world around you. Bikers may be more exposed to the elements but they don't have exclusive rights to them.

True, helmets and gear isolate you from some of the environment. You can say the same general thing for underwear too. Gear is to keep rocks out of your brains and to avoid severe skin grafts...usually when some inattentive driver runs you down.

What is considered isolation from the environment? A concrete box half a mile underground? Cars are soundproofed quite well nowadays and have stereo's to eliminate any remaining excess outside noise. Seriously, the outside world is not what people in cars experience at all. It's the diffrence between sitting in your living room or in a chair out in the middle of your lawn. Put a cellphone in their hand and they don't even know if it's raining or if a semi-truck is about to smash them into the pavement..or if they just ran a motorcycle off the road.

Went down to the basement garage yesterday to find my previously pristine bike on its side! Someone somehow knocked it over.

That hurts!! Sure someone really knocked it over for spite? I know the side stand on my Yamaha could be a few inches longer and at a flatter angle. It is fairly tippy all on its own, and if not on a hard surface is pretty useless.

The sliders helped in this case, but I never liked the look, personal preference only.

Gary

BS and baloney. If we're hurling insults, how about the idiots on their crotch rockets who zip through freeway traffic at least 30 miles an hour faster than the prevailing speed, weaving in, out, and between lanes of cars, all while wearing nothing but a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops?

I have never - not once, not ever - done anything but give motorcycles all the room they need. I've seen far too many that ended up as bloody smears and twisted wreckage. I know damned good and well that they're supremely vulnerable out there, and give them everything I can.

Don't you DARE tell me that being called a "cager" is self-inflicted. :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

Sorry to hear about your bike, steingar. That really sucks. Never had that happen.....yet....

Did have one incident where the guy I get my bicycle stuff from accidentally backed into my Guzzi. Pushed it back about 3 ft. Dang thing stayed upright! Dented the front fender and put a bit of a cut in the tire, but other than that no damage. He came back into the parts store and was sooooo upset. $100 for the fender (including shipping from Italy), and the tire is still good 5,000 miles later. No one was hurt so I wasn't angry at all. Only thing I'm angry about is I'm convinced that Luigi had at least two bottles of Grappa while designing the bike. Gotta drop the forks to replace the fender...... ~ARGH!~

BS and baloney. If we're hurling insults, how about the idiots on their crotch rockets who zip through freeway traffic at least 30 miles an hour faster than the prevailing speed, weaving in, out, and between lanes of cars, all while wearing nothing but a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops?

Those of us who ride responsibly have an insulting name for them too, squids.

I have never - not once, not ever - done anything but give motorcycles all the room they need.

That you know of Jay. I'm not casting aspersions, but I've dodged many, many cagers who had no clue I was there. This extends back before cell phones and even cup holders. It isn't that drivers are distracted (although many are), most people aren't looking for bikes. People don't see what they're not looking for.

I've seen far too many that ended up as bloody smears and twisted wreckage.

I bet you've seen a few autos as well.

I know damned good and well that they're supremely vulnerable out there, and give them everything I can.

Don't you DARE tell me that being called a "cager" is self-inflicted. :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

Seriously, pilots calling bikes dangerous is the pot calling the kettle black. The vast majority of motorcycle accidents are alcohol related; take that out of the equation and bikes are safer. Take all the kids with way too much bike out of the equation and bikes are way safer than aircraft. Remember, many of the stupid pilot tricks that get guys dead are things that could easily befall many of us.

Sorry to hear about your bike, steingar. That really sucks. Never had that happen.....yet....

Did have one incident where the guy I get my bicycle stuff from accidentally backed into my Guzzi. Pushed it back about 3 ft. Dang thing stayed upright! Dented the front fender and put a bit of a cut in the tire, but other than that no damage. He came back into the parts store and was sooooo upset. $100 for the fender (including shipping from Italy), and the tire is still good 5,000 miles later. No one was hurt so I wasn't angry at all. Only thing I'm angry about is I'm convinced that Luigi had at least two bottles of Grappa while designing the bike. Gotta drop the forks to replace the fender...... ~ARGH!~

Drop the forks to change out a fender? He was smoking something stronger than Grappa to come up with that. Designed some pretty bikes, though.

The repairs were completed this morning. The smoked shield looks really slick, I wish I had done that long ago. So at least I get a bit of a silver lining.

<snarl> Would you PLEASE delete the word "cager" from your vocabulary? It's insulting as hell. </snarl>

Well, let me think about it ... ... nope, I won't stop using the term. You are choosing to be overly sensitive.

Sheese..that's quite the leap, Jay.

Anyway, FWFW, I found the motorcyclists who need to use perjorative terms about non-motorcyclists are usually riding for status or image -- you know, the type that put the bike away when there's a cloud or its cold or whatever.

I drive a car, a truck, and a bike. I don't have special names for others who happen to be driving something other than what I am that moment.

As far as risk, yeah -- there's risk.

Sorry about the bike. People are such jerks these days. They don't care about anything. Not YOUR very expensive vehicle. Not their shiny new vehicle. Guess the money to buy that thing came easy.
Maybe one day, when they realize what it really takes to own something, they'll appreciate YOUR stuff better.

I have never - not once, not ever - done anything but give motorcycles all the room they need. I've seen far too many that ended up as bloody smears and twisted wreckage. I know damned good and well that they're supremely vulnerable out there, and give them everything I can.

Jay, really. Lighten up. We've had this debate before. The people using cager here are not trying to insult anyone. We're all flyers here. If anything, they're yanking your chain.
Besides, when it's 15 degrees outside, and I've got the heat cranked up, I'm more than happy I'm a cager.

Wow in all my years I've never thought of cager as an insult. no more than calling a helicopter pilot a flingwinger or a rotorhead. Heck I rather be called a cager than an Organ Donor ( what they started to call motorcylcleist who chose not to wear helmets after the helmet law was passed in PA.

Michael sorry that you suffered as a result of someones being inconsderate. i'm betting a buck that if they left you a note with thier contact info you wouldn't have even posted.

Back