Some idiots need to chill...

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
Copied from AvWeb today:

A boater repeatedly swerved in front of a floatplane on Bantam Lake, near Hartford, Conn., earlier this month, apparently trying to prevent it from taking off because he thought the airplane shouldn't be operating on the lake, the Hartford Courant reported this week. The boater was arrested on Sunday. The floatplane pilot had been donating rides to inner-city campers for many years, according to the state Department of Environmental Protection, whose officers made the arrest. On Aug. 4, the pilot was trying to take off with two girls on board, when the boat pulled in front of the airplane and stopped, forcing the pilot to abort, state officials said. It happened a second time, and the pilot returned to the dock and dropped off the girls. He then tried to take off a third time, and avoided the boat although it tried again to cut off the departure. Officials said there is no prohibition against seaplane operations on the lake.

I'm glad the boater got arrested. I'll bet he's a bully on the road as well.

Guess there are drunk rednecks in Connecticut, too...

-Rich

Re: Seaplane pilot: 1, "do-gooder":0 (this time anyway)

LOL and who is this guy to decide what he thinks is leagal and not?!?!?!

What a maroon....what an ignoramous.

That's a lot of charges against the guy. I hope he gets slammed on all counts.

Idget thinks he's a self created police officer that can operate above the law.

He's lucky he didn't get his head split open...by a prop, spreader bar, float or the pilots paddle.

That's simply criminal. That wouldn't have been an accident, it would have been an intentional. I hope the judge knocks him through the floor with the book.

Definitely an idiot in a no idiot zone! Same guy probably pulls out in front of speeding cars to get them to slow down. One of these days "justice" will be served, but unfortunately at the expense of some poor innocent person.

They should have charged him with interfering with a flight crew.

HPNFlyGirl said:
They should have charged him with interfering with a flight crew.

How about being realistic and charging with attempted murder instead?
Ever see the video of the floatplane landing wheels down and going tail over prop? Hit a boat a flying speed and it'd be the same kind of situation. Not pretty in the least.

Since the pilot has been giving rides for years off that lake, I don't think the "I thought it was illegal" will hold up. But then, if he gets a jury trial (of his peers) we may see an entirely different outcome than what we'd want.

What kind of moron... needs a 100LL enema.

Bet he was drinking, too.

rpadula said:
Guess there are drunk rednecks in Connecticut, too...

-Rich

Drunk redneck wouldn't do that. Drunk redneck thinks a seaplane is awesome. It's Blue Bloods and their wannabe ilk that pull stunts like that. Personally I would have hit him and crashed the plane with the prop vector aimed at his head after dropping off the girls.

Henning said:
Drunk redneck wouldn't do that. Drunk redneck thinks a seaplane is awesome. It's Blue Bloods and their wannabe ilk that pull stunts like that. Personally I would have hit him and crashed the plane with the prop vector aimed at his head after dropping off the girls.
At which point they would sue and pass laws to ban those dangerous planes, which is what he wanted in the first place.

silver-eagle said:
Since the pilot has been giving rides for years off that lake, I don't think the "I thought it was illegal" will hold up. But then, if he gets a jury trial (of his peers) we may see an entirely different outcome than what we'd want.

IMHO "I thought it was illegal" doesn't cut it either, even if it's the first time he's seen the plane take off and land on the lake. If he thought it was illegal, he should call the authorities, pure and simple. The "citizens arrest" incidents used to drive me nuts. They put themselves and others in very bad situations which usually turn out much worse than the so called "offense" they observed in the first place! B)

mikea said:
At which point they would sue and pass laws to ban those dangerous planes, which is what he wanted in the first place.

They could try to sue, but they would not win. The outcome would be long needed stronger boat operation/education legislation I would press for using the media to full advantage in this upcoming election cycle. The rules of right of way are clearly established, long standing and Internationally enforced. Seaplane has right-of-way on the water over unencumbered power boat which is why they busted the guy.

Henning said:
They could try to sue, but they would not win. The outcome would be long needed stronger boat operation/education legislation I would press for using the media to full advantage in this upcoming election cycle. The rules of right of way are clearly established, long standing and Internationally enforced. Seaplane has right-of-way on the water over unencumbered power boat which is why they busted the guy.
No matter. Plenty of local jurisdictions will happily ban planes from landing on the local waterway.

Right of way doesn't enter the picture if you have no right to land on the water in the first place.

They just banned even SEEING the plane on the ground in Jacksonville.

JRitt said:
The boater prob felt the airplane made to much noise
:D

He was mad because his hole in the water stayed on the water.

A seaplane is too much cool to compete with. Besides you can't just buy a plane and fly it with a drink in your hand.

Last edited:
mikea said:
:D

He was mad because his hole in the water stayed on the water.

An seaplane is too much cool to compete with. Besides you can't just buy a plane and fly it with a drink in your hand.
His G/F prob pointed at the plane the day before and said "Wouldn't it be cool to fly in one of those"

JRitt said:
The boater prob felt the airplane made to much noise

Yeah, like boats are silent, right? I think the boater's opinion was that nobody should be allowed to do anything he didn't want to do that might interfere with his selfish "posession" of the lake.

Henning said:
Seaplane has right-of-way on the water over unencumbered power boat which is why they busted the guy.

Maybe (that's why they busted the guy). Seems to me this was well beyond a simple case of failing to properly yield, as the boater was deliberately interfering with the seaplane's takeoff and that sounds like a more serious offense to me. Had they actually collided I'd think it would have been an assault.

lancefisher said:
Yeah, like boats are silent, right? I think the boater's opinion was that nobody should be allowed to do anything he didn't want to do that might interfere with his selfish "posession" of the lake.

Yup, "What is he doing landing on MY lake??? I'll show him a thing or two..."

lancefisher said:
Maybe (that's why they busted the guy). Seems to me this was well beyond a simple case of failing to properly yield, as the boater was deliberately interfering with the seaplane's takeoff and that sounds like a more serious offense to me. Had they actually collided I'd think it would have been an assault.
I think reckless endangerment at least, attempted murder if the D.A. is ambitious. The problem is politically there are going to be few on the side of the "dangerous" seaplane.

mikea said:
No matter. Plenty of local jurisdictions will happily ban planes from landing on the local waterway.

Right of way doesn't enter the picture if you have no right to land on the water in the first place.

They just banned even SEEING the plane on the ground in Jacksonville.

What do I care, I got to kill one idiot and get through boat license and training requirements. I lost the ability to make planned landings on some lakes, big deal. Even if I deemed not to crash the plane, I would have tagged him upside the head with a float as soon as I got it flying. "Your honor, I tried to miss him, but he just wouldn't let me. I think he was trying to commit suicide."

They put the dork's address in the report. I would worry about his embarrassment and possible lack of safety, but it sounds like he probably isn't smart enough to comprehend his situation.

Petra, Arrest reports are public info. --- So with that in mind.....

I think we should all send a PofA greeting card to the idiot!

Henning said:
What do I care, I got to kill one idiot and get through boat license and training requirements. I lost the ability to make planned landings on some lakes, big deal. Even if I deemed not to crash the plane, I would have tagged him upside the head with a float as soon as I got it flying. "Your honor, I tried to miss him, but he just wouldn't let me. I think he was trying to commit suicide."

hehehe, I like that. Made me snort!

Brent Bradford said:
hehehe, I like that. Made me snort!
I'm thinking a slightly less lethal countermeasure would be to pour the contents of your hot coffee thermos or better yet your pee bottle on the boat as you pass 10 feet above the a-whole in the boat. "I don't know how the bottle happened to spill at that point officer, all my attention was on avoiding the idiot that pulled in front of me on takeoff."

I love it, pilots versus boaters. Let the games begin!!!

D*mn swabbies! :D

Anthony said:
I love it, pilots versus boaters. Let the games begin!!!

D*mn swabbies! :D
Doesn't Steve's IAR have the hard points?
Maybe mount Nerf guns or Super soakers?

mikea said:
Doesn't Steve's IAR have the hard points?
Maybe mount Nerf guns or Super soakers?

When I trade up to the SF260, which has hard points, I'm going to mount Zuni rockets!

Hey, waitaminit! I wuz once a swabbie! :D Or wuz i a squidly?

Dumb boater...:mad:

Jim

Henning said:
The "Rules of the Road" as established by the U.S. Coast Guard for marine vehicles on navigable waters (of which the vast majority of inland lakes and rivers qualify as "navigable") also give right of way to seaplanes.

This boating idiot loses on water AND in the air.

Unfortunately, all you need to be a "captain" of a boat is for your check or credit to clear, and *voila*, you're a bonafide boater.

Most folks probably don't want to know what I would've done after the second time he intentionally pulled in front of me and I had to abort a takeoff--especially with two young passengers on board. . .

-JD

CowboyPilot said:
Most folks probably don't want to know what I would've done after the second time he intentionally pulled in front of me and I had to abort a takeoff--especially with two young passengers on board. . .

-JD

What a tough guy on the internet.

CowboyPilot said:

Yeah, really.

"Well, officer, I wasn't going to risk the lives of my two young passengers, so I aborted the takeoff. I just couldn't get the prop stopped before it chopped him into bits..."

Back