Solution: More cameras

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
Me:
What we need are more cameras! Somebody smarter than I am may be able to invent a personal 360° camera lens that could record the wearer's surroundings and transmit the data to a network when triggered by the victim, perhaps via smartphone? ...​
Nah, cameras are the answer. Just need to find someone to invent the system.​

Last edited:
We need more muzzles, and more nuns breaking fingers so people stop wasting band width.

I liked it better when the phone was on the wall. It irritates me when something happens and there’s 50 people standing around filming the event with their phone.

Definitely need more cameras don’t know how we got by without them

I liked it better when the phone was on the wall. It irritates me when something happens and there’s 50 people standing around filming the event with their phone.
Told a granddaughter the other day that when I was growing up, cell phones hadn't even been invented yet so we didn't have them. She asked if we were sad we didn't have them... I said I'm often sad now that we do.

In Trent Palmer’s case, you don’t even need a camera.
/Just a video of an image that a different camera made.
//…And then you can lose that video, somehow.
///…And it can be used as evidence in a hearing, somehow.

Cameras and rumors of Cameras
Matthew 24, probably

Last edited:
I live near a windy, historic road, that used to be a horse trail between a river and creek. It has 90 degree plus turns yet I’ve seen people do a u turn right after a blind turn! The guy honked at me like I did something wrong. I guess I did because I didn’t tbone him

If only I had a dash cam

Anyway, dturri has probably read some sci-fi books where they have security bots and drones wandering around, or flying around, recording everything. Seems inevitable with how cheap drones and cameras are getting.

An rc plane 50 years ago cost a fortune but a new drone can run circles around it for a fraction of the cost

I think even Mr Orwell himself could not have predicted the insinuation of cameras into modern society. About the only place there seems not be be cameras is in the bathroom, and even then that's not certain. Oh and when you need them for the police to find who stole your jet skis, but then they were not working.

Anyway, dturri has probably read some sci-fi books where they have security bots and drones wandering around, or flying around, recording everything.
No, not books — ads. For these things: https://www.amazon.com/Security-Panoramic-Wireless-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B094JKN2C4

Somebody should miniaturize the camera (forget the bulb) and sew it into some clothing or hat, maybe. Then upload your surroundings as you move through crowded, crime-infested spaces. If enough people had 'em and a central base coordinated the tracks, when a crime happens the perps would have left tracks leading up to and after the crime. This new app seems to be a related concept.

what could possibly go wrong with that

stalking

predators

Yes, I for one can't wait for the day when any government agency or criminal can track my every movement, every day of my life.
They already can. Your camera, and those of other white hats, are tools to assure the black hats don't get the upper hand.

thank God for Delilah, McGee, and Abby and the rest of the team.

I don't think white hats exist anymore. Just gray hats and black hats, with the moral distance between them decreasing over time.
I'm sure you know some white hats. I know I do.

Yes, I for one can't wait for the day when any government agency or criminal can track my every movement, every day of my life.
If you carry a cell phone with you they probably already can. Most modern cars can be similarly tracked I believe. And then there's ADS-B for your plane.

Pervasive surveillance has eliminated retail shrink so well that the local Whole Foods has a police officer by the door and the local Target has put most merchandise inside locked cabinets; it's only natural to repeat this kind of success story further up the value chain.

Pervasive surveillance has eliminated retail shrink so well that the local Whole Foods has a police officer by the door and the local Target has put most merchandise inside locked cabinets; it's only natural to repeat this kind of success story further up the value chain.
This is called "falsethink" in a post-modern society driven by the insatiable need to have 3-7 second video news clips. In reality the camera are providing proof to the insurance company that it was not an employee embezzling the formerly stocked product. The "officer" provides plausible deniability.

What we need are for some mommas and daddies to whoop some arses every Saturday and some butts in pews every Sunday. But that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Ha ha. You didn't bother to read my original post on the matter, I see. I proposed miniaturized personal camera equipment that people wear to record their surroundings as they move through crime-ridden areas (like your local Target). The data could be collected and saved long enough to help investigators track down, say, the murderer, rapist, random hammer attacker, etc. In fact, I see no reason the identity of the wearer needs to be known. I have no idea if such a thing is feasible, either. It could be like electric vehicles — impractical.

Oh, it'll happen. Technically feasible and a good business idea. The illusion of safety will move the units and the data collection will provide the revenue stream. No one will be safer except for the C suite after the IPO/acquisition, but good for them; pimpin' ain't easy.

No one will be safer...
Why not? When criminals know they'll be photographed everywhere they went before and after their crime, because their crime-buddies are all getting locked up by the police right away, why won't people be safer? Maybe in your crime-ridden neighborhood you'll just let 'em go? That would explain your view.

Why not? When criminals know they'll be photographed everywhere they went before and after their crime, because their crime-buddies are all getting locked up by the police right away, why won't people be safer? Maybe in your crime-ridden neighborhood you'll just let 'em go? That would explain your view.
Why do you think criminals will be locked up right away? Or at all? People are commonly captured on video shoplifting. Society has to want to prosecute these crimes for the camera thing to work.

Why do you think criminals will be locked up right away? Or at all? People are commonly captured on video shoplifting. Society has to want to prosecute these crimes for the camera thing to work.
Why? Because every day, it seems, you read about some person getting arrested that you saw in a video a couple of weeks earlier shoving another person in front of a train or some other heinous act. They identify them by studying the camera footage. My conclusion, then, is we need more cameras, lots more, and a way to process all the data. Or more bullets, lots more, what could go wrong with that?

The arrest is not going to deter anyone, especially when considering that most violent criminals are "career criminals". The consequences of those crimes being persecuted is what will be the deterrent, and considering that almost every crime short of murder comes with a less than 10 or 15 year sentence (and usually significantly less than that), the career criminal really won't care about spending a couple of years living off the taxpayer's dime between crime sprees.

And quite frankly, I would much rather have the means to protect myself against a crime instead of being forced to submit to it with the promise of the criminal going to jail later. Especially as a woman whose biological reality is that I probably can't physically outrun or outfight most criminals out to get me. It doesn't do me any good if I'm assaulted on camera, because the criminal going to jail does not erase my memories or the reality of what happened. I would much rather be able to say, "Don't get any closer to me or I'll shoot" as opposed to "Don't come any closer or you'll get arrested in two weeks."

I don't want anymore apps or cameras.
Plus I don't want to have to do anything.

And by the way who changed the plan? I though we were getting these on every corner

1695567986723.png

I don't want anymore apps or cameras.
Plus I don't want to have to do anything.

And by the way who changed the plan? I though we were getting these on every corner

View attachment 120839

4e130220fa644e807ea3b26fb527b554.jpg

Cameras don’t deter criminals. Nor does the possibility of arrest, or even prison. Those things only deter people who are on the fence, and even then not very often. If cameras prevented theft, then convenience stores wouldn’t get shoplifted from every day.

I would much rather have the means to protect myself against a crime instead of being forced to submit to it with the promise of the criminal going to jail later. ... It doesn't do me any good if I'm assaulted on camera, ... I would much rather be able to say, "Don't get any closer to me or I'll shoot" as opposed to "Don't come any closer or you'll get arrested in two weeks."
If you're behind a locked door that would work. If you are walking along and someone takes a hammer to you or suddenly puts a gun or knife to your throat, chances are YOUR gun isn't going to make a difference anyway. Do you expect the creep to stand by and wait for you while you get your gun out and aim at him? But if crimes can instantly be investigated through the mining of voluminous images with location information these guys can be excised from society with such an efficient consequence that the streets become safe again even if the prospect of not getting away with it doesn't deter them.

But they aren't getting locked up, they're getting released because there's no space to hold them. I was hearing a report yesterday or the day before about Washington DC. Last year they had over 2800 violent felonies, but they only have 1200 prison spaces. Violent criminals are released and any "petty" violent crime is out in 2-3 months if they ever go to prison.

There's also a general problem with being unable to prove the identity of the criminal. Even if there are lots of cameras, there are places to go into a building and come out somewhere else, sometimes blocks away. If they change something about their appearance, how can you connect them?

I think you're underestimating the ingenuity of the criminal mind and overestimating the commitment of the justice system.

Why? Because every day, it seems, you read about some person getting arrested that you saw in a video a couple of weeks earlier shoving another person in front of a train or some other heinous act. They identify them by studying the camera footage. My conclusion, then, is we need more cameras, lots more, and a way to process all the data. Or more bullets, lots more, what could go wrong with that?
Please read my post again. For your convenience, it is below. I acknowledge that cameras help to solve some crimes. You should also note the fact that many people are simply not prosecuted for many crimes despite being photographed and identified.
Cameras are helpful, but are potentially only part of the solution.

Some of this 'crowd sourced imaging' is already happening via LEO Flock cameras capturing license plates on-the-fly. Facial recognition would be easy to add - even my Blue Iris DIY home camera system has an AI feedback loop that is doing object recognition - I just don't have the hi-res camera (at a distance) to do facial recognition. If I had one directly at the door, I could easily train an AI to identify 'friend or foe' even with the hokey little AI system I have.

Google glasses did a lot of this stuff but was pulled off the shelves iirc

Too creepy, too invasive with no notice (recording everything seen) etc

Back