Solo!

ettsn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ettsn
I finally soloed last night! I was at 26.7 hours prior (now 28.6). Instructor started telling me at about 14 hours I was "pretty much ready to solo", but we were having fun doing XC and working on PTS stuff, and each of my last several lessons didn't have "first solo" amenable weather. So it's been on hold for a bit. Thrilled to finally be solo! :)

We went up for a few circuits together, and my CFI was completely hands off. On the third downwind, another plane was inbound so the tower asked me to short final. CFI keyed the mike and told tower we'd "direct final" and pulled power -- "your engine just died, put me on the ground". No worries, we've done this drill before, so I flatten to best glide and turn for the numbers. Eased in a notch of flaps at the threshold and put it down about as gently as I could've without power. Felt pretty good about that one. Touch and go, and turning downwind, CFI keys the mike and says this one's a full stop. Turns to me and says "take me back, you're ready". :D

He runs over to the tower to observe, and I taxi out. Runup complete, I make the departure call and I line up. Big gulp, not really nervous, but a little anxious perhaps. Transponder, lights, power up, rudder and I'm away. At Vr I ease back and it POPS off the ground and immediately rolls left! Wasn't expecting that! But I guess with 200 or so fewer pounds in the right seat, it's gonna fly a little differently, right? Anyway, quickly correct and climb. At my usual crosswind altitude, I begin my turn -- dang, I'm not over my usual spots? Oh yeah, I was climbing a bunch faster, duh. No worries, correct and all is good. On final, I'm at the top of the slope, but still looking pretty good. Flare at my normal height, and maybe it was a combination of the 7kt headwind and the lighter weight, but it ballooned on me! Gained probably 10 feet almost instantly, so I put a touch of power in and tried to ease it down but had a bounce. Dang. Okay full stop and taxi back.

Regroup and absorb the lessons learned. MUCH better takeoff, and was hitting my marks pretty well. More traffic inbound. Tower asks me to keep it tight and sneak in ahead of the inbound. Okay, done this plenty of times. Everything looked pretty good, but I carried a little more speed than I meant to and landed a little long (still easily in the first third). "Not too bad, but the last one, I'm gonna nail!" I tell myself.

Meanwhile, the ATIS changed from India to Juliet, so I listen to the new ATIS on the second comm during my taxi back. Tiny tweak to the altimeter and the wind has moved up to 10kt, but almost right down the runway, so no worries. I line up and call "Gwinnett ground, Skyhawk XXXX with Juliet for VFR departure on 2-5 to remain in the pattern..." I get back "XXXX, Gwinnett TOWER clears you for departure on 2-5" with a good-natured snicker. Dang, so much for perfect. :mad2: "Apologies Tower, Cleared for 2-5..."

The last circuit went pretty much as planned, and the landing was my nicest of the day. Called tower "XXXX clear of the active" and got "The Russian judge gave you an 8.5, but the rest of us thought it looked pretty good -- congratulations on your solo! Monitor Ground .8" Smiled all the way back to the FBO! :D

Sounds great. Congrats, pilot! Good luck with the rest of your training.

Don't worry about calling the Tower Ground. I bet everyone here has done that and worse even w/ hundreds of hours under their belts.

Congratulations on the solo. It is an awesome thing.

You will be smiling for the next 3 weeks.

Good Job!

LOL Yeah, Russian judges tend to be harsh so don't worry about his 8.5. You passed, you learned from the other landings and most importantly, you're in one piece.

Now go poke holes in the sky! :)

Excellent write up! And well done PILOT. Welcome to the club. Everything from here on is just paper... You're now a Pilot.

Don't worry about calling the Tower Ground. I bet everyone here has done that and worse even w/ hundreds of hours under their belts.

Congratulations on the solo. It is an awesome thing.

You will be smiling for the next 3 weeks.

Good Job!

I've never done that...:rolleyes:

Thanks, y'all! Still kinda buzzing about it 24 hours later. Going up again tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. :)

Calling tower by ground isn't so bad. I fly out of DuPage which has a tower and sometimes fly over to DeKalb which does not. More than once, I've heard "some guy" ;) call DuPage traffic rather than DeKalb.

An old CFI told me he once was making CTAF announcements on Midway Tower for a nearby airport (Bult/Beecher), when he flew back into Midway they weren't exactly excited to acknowledge his call sign haha.

Sounds like fun.

After my first solo, I taxied to parking to meet my instructor for a debrief, and promptly discovered the cargo door had popped open. Oops. Learned to ALWAYS lock it after that. Not nearly as bad as the poor schmuck at Castle who set off his ELT on a solo smash'n'go in a 152, with some 30 CAP members on hand at a search exercise. Yup, we knew it immediately.

Even a small instructor (mine was 120 lb) makes a huge difference in the aircraft handling. Everyone's first solo just pops off the ground.

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great first solo! Part of me wants to say "Don't be so hard on yourself" but the other part of me suspects you won't stop (and really shouldn't) trying to do as good a job as possible. Keep it up!

Thanks everyone, your words are very encouraging -- I'm having an absolute blast flying! In fact, yesterday I did my second solo. CFI and I went for a hop over to a nearby field much less busy than home, did one touch and go and then on the second approach he said "full stop this time -- I'm thirsty, take me to the FBO" :D

Told me to make as many laps as I wanted and come get him when it's either dark or I'm tired. So I went with "dark". :D

Made ten landings, mostly TnG with a few full stops, and one go around (was high, too much energy on final). Picked up CFI and foggle'd the CDI home (that sounds kinda dirty, lol). He asked if I wanted to grab a quick bite, which was a great idea, and then said "hey, it's nighttime -- wanna do your night XC tonight?" Sure! :D

Got back to the school, and he says "you've been in Cessnas the whole time; wanna do this in a Diamond?" Well, yeah, cool! So we do a quick flight plan, preflight one of the DA20s and we're off. Let me tell you, a DA20 flys pretty differently than a C172, but nothing dramatic. Simulated instrument the whole way down, and I did my best to keep the CDI pretty tight, and altitude within +/- 100ft. Glass smooth night air helped for sure, as it was mostly just fine throttle and trim adjustments. Air was basically still where we went, so we did a few T/O one direction, then swapped and did a few the other way. None of landings in the Diamond would've made the Sportscenter highlights, but weren't dangerous. First time in a new type, in the dark, at a new field, I'd say I did pretty decent. ;)

Finally got home just after 2:00a and had a very tired grin from ear-to-ear. Totals for the day, combined, I did 29 landings, 4.9 total, 4.1 dual and 0.8 solo, ticked off night XC and simulated instrument, and added a type in my logbook.

That, my friends, was a heckuva good day flying! :D

Back