Solo XC done!

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Finally got decent wx to do the solo XC for my sport ticket today after being blown out by bad weather a few times. Apopka X04 to Crystal River KCGC to Inverness KINF and back to Apopka. All went well (meaning I actually found the airports, and both the plane and I are reusable). Navigation, pattern entries, radio work, and landings were all good. The landings were a bit too hard, but safe, on center, straight, and bounce-free, so I'll take it.

I even remembered to close my flight plan afterward; no search party dispatched. :)

I'm glad I got it done first thing this morning. Rain squalls were moving into the area from the south, and on the return flight I hit a little rain and altered course a bit north to stay out of the bad stuff. An hour later and I would have had to cancel again.

It was pretty cool flying somewhere else and returning on my own. I'm finally starting to feel just a little bit like a pilot.

Congratulations, Half Fast. Remember this day as it is a major milestone! The next will be when you pass your checkride. But now that you know you can fly solo and find a destination, keep at it and keep practicing those maneuvers that your CFI taught you. Try to keep with 100 feet of altitude when you perfrom those maneuvers and you'll be within the PTS for passing the checkride.

Congrats! Great feeling, eh? Seems the weather is always good on the days you're not flying, at least for me. ;)

Nice. You squeezed it it between the weather nicely. Good job.

Congrats! Great feeling, eh? Seems the weather is always good on the days you're not flying, at least for me. ;)

Yeah, when I got back the guys were laughing and told me I must be a magnet for bad weather. They were checking radar during my flight and could see the bad stuff moving toward me.

I'm glad I got it done first thing this morning. Rain squalls were moving into the area from the south, and on the return flight I hit a little rain and altered course a bit north to stay out of the bad stuff. An hour later and I would have had to cancel again.

There is a lesson that I hope sticks with you throughout your pilot career. Early is better. Although in this case the problem was weather moving in, it could have been moving out and in that case the lesson wouldn't apply... In that case you could see the weather as bad before you took off and the no go and/or wait decision is much more clear.

In normal summer flying and mountain flying, the problem is turbulence on a hot summer day and early is better.

Congrats on getting it done.

-Skip

Good deal!

It was pretty cool flying somewhere else and returning on my own. I'm finally starting to feel just a little bit like a pilot.

Yep. Lots of focus on the first solo, but I really remember the first solo XC more and really felt more like a pilot at that point. It's a great feeling.

I got off course on my first solo xc... that was almost 30 years ago! Good learning experience, though I panicked for about 10 seconds. :eek:

I even remembered to close my flight plan afterward; no search party dispatched. :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

Circa 2007 I flew El Paso to Carlsbad NM with a flight plan open. No issues other than TB. Closed flight plan on the ground and gave a PIREP at the same time. Next day for the return leg, FSS indicates my flight plan is still open. I query why they weren't looking or calling already then. Things got quiet and the reply was "Return flight plan Carlsbad to El Paso is now activated" and that was it. You'd do better letting family know ETA, file it, but don't hold your breath unless YOU forget to close it:confused::confused::eek::eek::mad:

I got off course on my first solo xc... that was almost 30 years ago! Good learning experience, though I panicked for about 10 seconds. :eek:

So did I back in the day, going from Panama City to Albany GA. FSS asked if I wanted a "DF Steer" and I turned them down for whatever reason. Finally found the airport.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

Circa 2007 I flew El Paso to Carlsbad NM with a flight plan open. No issues other than TB. Closed flight plan on the ground and gave a PIREP at the same time. Next day for the return leg, FSS indicates my flight plan is still open. I query why they weren't looking or calling already then. Things got quiet and the reply was "Return flight plan Carlsbad to El Paso is now activated" and that was it. You'd do better letting family know ETA, file it, but don't hold your breath unless YOU forget to close it:confused::confused::eek::eek::mad:

I once thought pilots who didn't file flight plans were idiots. Now I'm one of them! :eek:

Plus, I have no transponder so FF is not an option.

I once thought pilots who didn't file flight plans were idiots. Now I'm one of them! :eek:

Plus, I have no transponder so FF is not an option.
Some sort of flight following is a wise choice.

Had I a transponder I might agree.
Im not necessarily talking about ATC, but rather just someone to track you and make sure all is well... wife at home and call her vs filing..??

I fly over some pretty remote west Texas areas, and you'd be surprised at the cell coverage you can reach even at 10k. My wife was tracking me by phone with the Life360 phone app for the majority of the trip. There will be some non-coverage areas, but it is surprisingly good for most areas (phone on but not talking or texting). You might give a whirl ...

Back