Solo Today

imstriker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imstriker
After what seems like an eternity since I started this journey, I flew an airplane all by myself today. Fortunately after my second instructor bailed on me, I was able to convince my first to come fly with me again. This is our second time back up and today he set me free.

We flew down and around his home airport a few times, then out to another, and upon returning he hopped out and sent me on my way. Three trips around the pattern later, and here I am. Still alive even.

If anyone is very bored today, here is my flight: http://goo.gl/maps/2QJ1O

That last part, I did all by myself :) Just needed to share.

First of all, congratulations! This is a day that you will simply never forget. To me, even after I got my private ticket, it still wasn't the same.

Enjoy flying solo, soon you'll be doing your cross countries too.

Congrats Pilot,
I have now done all my solo requirements including long c/x, but I still remember the feeling back in April when I rolled down the runway for my first solo take off like it was yesterday...

Way go to, Pilot! You've now accomplished something that only a select few on earth have done, taken an airplane into the sky and returned in one piece. That is a special accomplishment. Have fun finishing your training and passing the PP checkride. Then the learning really begins. :D

Congratulations!

Was not so many months ago since I did my first Solo. Enjoy the feeling. Wait until you go out to practice the maneuvers on your own. I would imagine it is almost the feeling a sailor gets when he sails far enough away from land he can not see it anymore. In this case, far enough from the airport you can not see it anymore, and now you have to find your way back without the instructor.

Congrats! I love hearing about first solos. I always think back to the day of my first solo and I get an ear-to-ear grin just thinking about it.

Congrats, !!! A day you will always remember.

Congrats! Having just did mine on 9/20/12 (Not that I remember the date or anything), I can tell you that this smile lasts for a while... :yes:

Congratulations. Glad you took command of the situation with your CFI as well.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling... You'll remember this date forever, including the weather, which runway you landed on, and what you were wearing even. And if your significant other brings in a cake with an airplane on it he (or she) drew with frosting. :D

Nice work. Not many on this earth can lay claim to doing what you did today! Welcome to the less than one percenters!

It's been about a year since I had my first solo. I still vividly remember the "o boy" feeling I had when I looked to my right to see an empty seat and I still remember each trip around the pattern. The smile I had after I landed and got out of the plane has worn off.... But not that long ago!

Congrats

After what seems like an eternity since I started this journey, I flew an airplane all by myself today. Fortunately after my second instructor bailed on me, I was able to convince my first to come fly with me again. This is our second time back up and today he set me free.

We flew down and around his home airport a few times, then out to another, and upon returning he hopped out and sent me on my way. Three trips around the pattern later, and here I am. Still alive even.

If anyone is very bored today, here is my flight: http://goo.gl/maps/2QJ1O

That last part, I did all by myself :) Just needed to share.

Congratulations on making that plane fly all by yourself. Great accomplishment and the start of more fun and more work to follow.

I enjoyed the flight path. Got to see what looked like a mid-field crossing and then landing at the aiport in the south-east quadrant and then the flight to the airport in the north-east quadrant where you did your patterns. REally neat data to have...

Looking forward to reading more posts.

Thank you all for the well-wishes. I'm not a frequent poster, but its nice to have a place like this with so much support.

Yesterday was the first flying day our weather has allowed here in Indiana for quite a while so it was great to slip that in. I just keep thinking to myself that if that weather cleared up, I could go fly an airplane :)

Went out to the field and flew by myself today. First time for taking the plane out, preflighting with no one around, going flying, and putting it away. What a great feeling, I think this is even better than being turned loose the first time. Given I only did one trip around the pattern but I proved to myself I could. After my first trip around the winds had kicked up to 12 gusting to 16 so I called it quits. I did it and had a great landing.

Anyway, just needed to share. Here is my exciting single time trip:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207005791741063954404.0004cbdd40b5b52ed3f26&msa=0

Went out to the field and flew by myself today. First time for taking the plane out, preflighting with no one around, going flying, and putting it away. What a great feeling, I think this is even better than being turned loose the first time. Given I only did one trip around the pattern but I proved to myself I could. After my first trip around the winds had kicked up to 12 gusting to 16 so I called it quits. I did it and had a great landing.

Anyway, just needed to share. Here is my exciting single time trip:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207005791741063954404.0004cbdd40b5b52ed3f26&msa=0

Very nice!

I think I have three major milestones so far:

First solo
First XC
And my last flight, that was the first flight were I wasn't so preoccupied with not screwing up. Once you start to do the right things because you just know to do them, you can focus on other aspects of flying, and it really becomes far more enjoyable.

I'm very much looking forward to the more enjoyable part :)

Honestly to me the most enjoyable moments came during the cruise portion of my solo XC's. In fact, I still love the cruise part of flight the best. Just looking outside and seeing all the amazing views is something that never gets old.

I hope at some point during one of your XC's you take a moment to just look outside and take a picture even of what's passing below. It's a great moment and makes it all worthwhile!

Honestly to me the most enjoyable moments came during the cruise portion of my solo XC's. In fact, I still love the cruise part of flight the best. Just looking outside and seeing all the amazing views is something that never gets old.

I hope at some point during one of your XC's you take a moment to just look outside and take a picture even of what's passing below. It's a great moment and makes it all worthwhile!

I agree with this!! My first solo was great, but my first solo XC was so awesome too. It made me feel like a real pilot.

Back