Solo Today!

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
First Solo Today!

Hi everybody. I just discovered this web site a few weeks ago and am glad I did. It seems like everyone here is really nice.

I wanted to share my solo story from today. It was a beutiful day here on Long Island, NY after some really not great days with heavy winds. Went to KISP where I've been doing my training and met up with one of my instructors. He asked me some scenario questions which I answered fine and so it was time to go to the plane and get some dual instruction time in before the solo. We took off and did 4 touch and go's before he gave me the go ahead. It's been over 2 weeks since the last time I flew so thank god for those dual landings as they cleared away the rust.

We taxied back to parking and filled out some paper work and then he got out of the plane and it was just me. That was a pretty awesome moment filled with a great sense of accomplishment followed by a few moments of "ohh boy" I listend to the ATIS, got taxi clearance and then taxied out to the runway. On the way out I noticed about 4 planes waiting to take off- Macarthur( KISP) was packed today because of the first nice day in a long time. I had to wait in sequence for about 5 minutes and then get takeoff clearance...nothing like icing the kicker before the winning field goal attempt. Put my landing and strobe lights on, line up on the center line, heels to the floor and off I go.

The first time around the pattern was crazy. Turn downwind and report to the tower and am "told cleared to land number two follow skyhawk on a four mile final." I looked for the skyhawk and could not see it. Tower called my base and I line up for runway 24 at KISP. Here's where the crazness begins. KISP is used by Southwest Airlines and whenever they come in for landing the entire pattern becomes organized chaos. I'm on Final about 2 miles out when Southwest flight 2423 from FT Lauderdale Florida calls in and reports they are making a left base for final on 24. I continue on my final and touch down making a really nice and smooth landing. Once I touch down, tower asks me if I can make a left on 15L as I'm rolling past the turn on 15L still doing about 35 knots or so. I report unable and let the tower know I can make the next right or left past 15L onto runway 33L. Tower reports back in a mild state of anxiousness, " Ok turn right at runway 33L no delay 737 on a one mile final" Needless to say I kept my speed up on the runway and turned as soon as possible onto 33L! I got past the hold short line, stopped the plane on 33L and looked back to see the Southwest 737 in full flare, just short of the runway, about to touch down. Craziness and awesomeness all rolled into one.

Taxi back to the active for my next trip around the pattern. This time I have to wait for another Southwest Flight to take off. Get my takeoff clearance, take off, report the midfield downwind and am told I'm number two. I see the traffic this time and report traffic in sight. Tower tells me I'm number two so I begin to prepare for the decent. I just began my turn to base and am told, landing clearance cancelled and to make one left 360 to make way for a cirus on a 4 mile final. Make the left 360, rejoin the downwind and make a normal approach. Land smooth again.

The final time around was the only normal time around with no traffic in the pattern at all. Made another smooth landing and taxied back to the flight school. One of my instructors was there to welcome me back. He said it was one of the best solo's he's ever seen and how great a story this makes for a first solo. We tie down the plane and head inside where he makes me ring the bell the flight school uses as their tradition when a student solo's for the first time. I have to say that the whole experience was amazing and I'm glad I have a great story to tell. I am glad I am training in such a high traffic airport with commercial traffic because it is great to encounter these new challenges. Today though, I was envious of the people who get to train in smaller airports where the traffic is less! I'm still smiling now and hope for even more fun to come!

Last edited:
Awesome! Congratulations! This is a day you will never forget.

I think I would have crapped myself, soloing at a busy towered airport. I am very, very glad that I soloed on a sleepy little grass strip in rural Wisconsin...

Wow! What a great story. My gracious that's a lot to deal with on a first solo ... Sounds like you handled it like a pro, very impressive. How many hours do you have now?

Very impressive!
I had hard enough time with closing the window on my first solo, on a non-towered airport. 737 on your tail on landing would for sure put some pressure on you. Hat off to you!

Great Job! Just out of curiosity, were you given a reason for the canx clearance? Emergency? Any idea?

Also how many hours to solo?

Again, great job and congrats!

Posted via Tapatalk

Nice job.

Some pilots fly for years before they ever deal with that kind of activity. To handle it on your first solo reflects well on your instructor and you.

Congrats to you..... Like Jay said...You will never forget this day.:nono::nono:

Ben.

Awesome!!!!!

I love when the 737's have to wait for me to land the little C150 in Juneau. They usually give us the thumbs up! (Sometimes they score you like in the olympics)

Great story, you won't forget that as long as you live for a lot of reasons.

Very cool!

Hi everybody and thanks for the kind words. I agree that it was a bit much for a first solo...or any flight for that matter, but truthfully I really felt prepared for the solo. Training at a busy airport makes you ready for these kids of things and you just kind of except them as part of the experience. I'm happy for that.

Moto, to answer your question, no I was never given a reason for the negation of the landing clearance. I think tower wanted to give the cirus a priority since he was much faster than I was but I don't really know. By the time the cirus was abeam my wing and I started my decent, and turned base and then turned final he was practically over the numbers and I was still a ways out.

Jeanie to answer your question, I have like 38 hours in the book right now including .9 PIC after today! I think it takes a bit longer to get the solo endorsement in this part of the country because of the very nature of the flying and the high amount of traffic. I was glad I had a bunch of experience though after today!

rbhankins001, I've yet to have any commercial planes grade my landing or give the thumbs up. My instructors always say when we are coming in while southwest or USair are waiting for takeoff that " you have to nail this landing and make me proud, you know those pilots are watching." (USAIR flys out of KISP also although only in smaller turbo props or CRJ's)

I soloed at a towered airport. My first solo was also the first time I ever had a controller tell me "caution wake turbulence" but it was for a Citation, not a 737! Nice work! :D

Re: First Solo Today!

Hi everybody. I just discovered this web site a few weeks ago and am glad I did. It seems like everyone here is really nice.

I wanted to share my solo story from today. It was a beutiful day here on Long Island, NY after some really not great days with heavy winds. Went to KISP where I've been doing my training and met up with one of my instructors. He asked me some scenario questions which I answered fine and so it was time to go to the plane and get some dual instruction time in before the solo. We took off and did 4 touch and go's before he gave me the go ahead. It's been over 2 weeks since the last time I flew so thank god for those dual landings as they cleared away the rust.

We taxied back to parking and filled out some paper work and then he got out of the plane and it was just me. That was a pretty awesome moment filled with a great sense of accomplishment followed by a few moments of "ohh boy" I listend to the ATIS, got taxi clearance and then taxied out to the runway. On the way out I noticed about 4 planes waiting to take off- Macarthur( KISP) was packed today because of the first nice day in a long time. I had to wait in sequence for about 5 minutes and then get takeoff clearance...nothing like icing the kicker before the winning field goal attempt. Put my landing and strobe lights on, line up on the center line, heels to the floor and off I go.

The first time around the pattern was crazy. Turn downwind and report to the tower and am "told cleared to land number two follow skyhawk on a four mile final." I looked for the skyhawk and could not see it. Tower called my base and I line up for runway 24 at KISP. Here's where the crazness begins. KISP is used by Southwest Airlines and whenever they come in for landing the entire pattern becomes organized chaos. I'm on Final about 2 miles out when Southwest flight 2423 from FT Lauderdale Florida calls in and reports they are making a left base for final on 24. I continue on my final and touch down making a really nice and smooth landing. Once I touch down, tower asks me if I can make a left on 15L as I'm rolling past the turn on 15L still doing about 35 knots or so. I report unable and let the tower know I can make the next right or left past 15L onto runway 33L. Tower reports back in a mild state of anxiousness, " Ok turn right at runway 33L no delay 737 on a one mile final" Needless to say I kept my speed up on the runway and turned as soon as possible onto 33L! I got past the hold short line, stopped the plane on 33L and looked back to see the Southwest 737 in full flare, just short of the runway, about to touch down. Craziness and awesomeness all rolled into one.

Taxi back to the active for my next trip around the pattern. This time I have to wait for another Southwest Flight to take off. Get my takeoff clearance, take off, report the midfield downwind and am told I'm number two. I see the traffic this time and report traffic in sight. Tower tells me I'm number two so I begin to prepare for the decent. I just began my turn to base and am told, landing clearance cancelled and to make one left 360 to make way for a cirus on a 4 mile final. Make the left 360, rejoin the downwind and make a normal approach. Land smooth again.

The final time around was the only normal time around with no traffic in the pattern at all. Made another smooth landing and taxied back to the flight school. One of my instructors was there to welcome me back. He said it was one of the best solo's he's ever seen and how great a story this makes for a first solo. We tie down the plane and head inside where he makes me ring the bell the flight school uses as their tradition when a student solo's for the first time. I have to say that the whole experience was amazing and I'm glad I have a great story to tell. I am glad I am training in such a high traffic airport with commercial traffic because it is great to encounter these new challenges. Today though, I was envious of the people who get to train in smaller airports where the traffic is less! I'm still smiling now and hope for even more fun to come!

LOL. I think I'd be back at the hanger to "change stuff" if ya know what I mean. Congrats!!! I only have 10 hours in so I'm a little ways away yet.
I'm learning at a towered airport but man, LOL getting chased out of the way by a 737 ??? I'd be back at the hanger :thumbsup:

Re: First Solo Today!

LOL. I think I'd be back at the hanger to "change stuff" if ya know what I mean. Congrats!!! I only have 10 hours in so I'm a little ways away yet.
I'm learning at a towered airport but man, LOL getting chased out of the way by a 737 ??? I'd be back at the hanger :thumbsup:

Well, with everybody claiming to solo around 6.5 hours, you should be there very soon, if not late to the party. :no: :devil::crazy::sosp:

OOPS, thread jacked. Sorry! :goofy:

Great job, PILOT. Now on to those other things, like XC flights and finally the check ride. But, you are a pilot. You have taken an airplane into the air and returned safely. Not many people can make that claim in this world.

Congratulations.

Congratulations, pilot.

I solo'd at a non-towered airport in California (somewhat busy airport).

It took me about 40 hours.

On a flight Saturday, I ran into a brand new pilot just like me. I asked him how many hours it took him to solo, and to the checkride. He was about 10 years younger than me and he said it took him right around 40 hours. He said a friend of his was about the same.

Kimberly

Been in KISP once to take my written, but my solo was in a non towered airport (KXLL) which was right under C airspace.

Great job, PILOT. Now on to those other things, like XC flights and finally the check ride. But, you are a pilot. You have taken an airplane into the air and returned safely. Not many people can make that claim in this world.

Congratulations.
:yeahthat:
You did a great job!

Great solo story! My solo was much more boring. I did realize that I did not latch pilot door completely and had to latch it mid-flight (crosswind). And I had exactly 1 hour in the plane I solo'd in before my CFI "went for a walk"

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. Had my second solo flight on Sunday. I flew to the south practice area and back( over Fire Island and the famous Jones Beach.). Weather was great. It was overcast at 4,600 feet but I only climbed to 2000. Really smooth air and great visibility. I actually think flying in overcast is nice because of the lack of sun glare. Much less eventful flight. During the flight a mooney passed on the same heading about 500ft above. Luckily i had him in sight! After entering the left downwind for 24 at KISP I was extended out again to about a 6 mile final. I seem to have a knack so far in my solo pilot time for being in the pattern at the busiest times because I was number 3 to land and the tower was sequencing 5 planes to land with 3 waiting to take off. Even at KISP I've never heard " number five for landing.". Made a nice landing with good spacing behind another skyhawk from the same flight school. The tower likes to say " follow your company" when two planes from the school come in to land so thankfully I had heard them say that before so it did not catch me off guard. Taxied back to the school and tied down truly feeling like I just did something great. This flying thing is pretty cool!:wink2:

Back