Solo time for insurance on a new plane

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
This is kind of a weird question, but I got to wondering about this while getting quotes on moving up from an Archer to a high-performance plane.

Most of the quotes I've received state that I'll need a certain number of solo hours for the coverage. What would happen if I took my wife along during those hours? Would she just not be covered in the event of an accident, or would the entire policy be null and void?

Not that I'm planning on doing that, but I *never* fly without her - I don't know if it's a matter of her really liking to fly or she thinks that if I go down she wants to go with me :)

So it has been my experience that if an incident occurs that the aircraft and pilot would typically be covered. I believe your wife would also be covered but I would imagine that if you did have an incident that you would then be blacklisted from that insurance company. It can't be that many hours so send here with a fist full of money on a shopping trip with the girls and get your 5-10 hours that the insurance company is requiring.

Most of the quotes I've received state that I'll need a certain number of solo hours for the coverage. What would happen if I took my wife along during those hours? Would she just not be covered in the event of an accident, or would the entire policy be null and void?
I suppose that's going to depend on how the policy is worded. The company issuing the quote is the final authority so ask them.

I wouldn't want to "test" the coverage ... how many hours are they asking for? I'm not flying complex, but even transition training I always hired a CFI for the trip home from airplane purchase and that usually covered transition and solo hours.

What kind of high-performance plane are we talking about and do you have more than 100hr and a instrument rating.

Last edited:
"the insurance company is making me fly my plane, those jerks"

I almost understand resistance to dual requirements, as CFIs aren't free.

...but resisting a solo requirement is baffling to me. The insurance company is asking you to "get comfortable in the plane solo" before you take passengers. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Use it as an excuse to go somewhere interesting, new, or just master those short field landings.

If you crashed before making the solo requirement with a passenger on board, the insurance company would have the option to void your insurance. If you flew the 5 hours "not solo" then the accident happened after, how would they even know? I doubt they would ask. Aviation insurance is really a strange thing, in that they assume good faith all over. A few more people cutting corners and cheating them will see it turn into State Farm, where they send the adjuster to nitpick the "true value" of your plane after you ball it up.

Pass.

Sounds like some missing info here. But in general, if you don’t meet the terms of the policy, if you have an accident, the insurance company could void the contract and not pay. For example, my first bad loss was a Bonanza crash during IMC, killing a family. The pilot was supposed to get his IFR ticket per the terms of the policy, but failed the checkride but didn’t bother to tell his broker. He flew into IMC anyway and ended up plowing into the earth trying to shoot an approach at night. We declined coverage.

But, in your example, there isn’t really “coverage” for your wife that would come into play. If you crashed you’re both likely to die so next of kin would get the hull payout. If you crashed and damaged or killed someone or something and you lived/wife lived, then there may be some grey area there. The insurance company will look at it and make a determination if they can settle under your liability limit. But, you are still alive and not leaving your wife to hold the bag. If you crash and you die, your wife lives, AND you kill someone on the ground, well, thats another case where the insurance company would have to investigate to see if you in fact violated the terms of the policy.

Like Schmookeeg said, “tie goes to the runner”, meaning if there is any ambiguity, the insurance company usually pays, due to the risk of “bad faith”. But just do it the right way and safe yourself the headache.

Having a reasonable solo time for a new model, makes sense to me. Gives you a chance to learn the plane with no interruptions. When I purchased my twin I flew it back from Texas to Mass ,which took care of my solo time.

Call the insurance and ask.
Maybe they mean PIC?

I have filled out many insurance sheets, none asked about my solo time, I don’t even keep track of such things

I just bought a new Cirrus. It requires five hours with open pilot before I can solo, then 15 hours before I can bring a passenger. I can do those last 10 by myself or with an instructor. The insurance coverages for passengers wouldn’t be covered if I violated the 15 hour rule

"the insurance company is making me fly my plane, those jerks"

I almost understand resistance to dual requirements, as CFIs aren't free.

...but resisting a solo requirement is baffling to me. The insurance company is asking you to "get comfortable in the plane solo" before you take passengers. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Use it as an excuse to go somewhere interesting, new, or just master those short field landings.

If you crashed before making the solo requirement with a passenger on board, the insurance company would have the option to void your insurance. If you flew the 5 hours "not solo" then the accident happened after, how would they even know? I doubt they would ask. Aviation insurance is really a strange thing, in that they assume good faith all over. A few more people cutting corners and cheating them will see it turn into State Farm, where they send the adjuster to nitpick the "true value" of your plane after you ball it up.

Pass.
You forgot pulling your avionics and or adsb logging to verify that you are a "safe" pilot. Like this: https://www.carprousa.com/Toyota-Te...-Based-On-How-You-Drive-But-Be-Careful/a/1259

Just remember that insurance will look for any reason to avoid payout. If they require x solo hours, it’s best to follow suit and fly by yourself until completed. I’m sure your wife would understand and would not want you to put anything in jeopardy.

In my RV-9A, AIG required that I have 2 hour dual before solo and 1 hour solo before passengers. Just completed that required transition training, will complete a little solo this weekend.

Back