Solo Shirt Pic Thread

Be a Man...it puts hair on your chest.

...granted it is arse hair from the skin graft they had to take from your rear but it is still hair none the less.

HA!!! I just spit air all over my computer screen.

I'm not drinking anything at the moment.

Several good examples so far. Keep 'em coming!

Sad though that such traditions fall out of favor. I feel for you poor saps who missed out.

I kid.

Not really.

My shirt says "Transforms from Legal Eagle . . . " because I was a law professor, and my flight instructor was a student in an Aviation Law course that I taught.
We did a dramatic and successful role reversal: the student became the teacher and taught me so well that I soloed and then got my Private Pilot's certificate.

IMG_2282.JPG

Around 11a on July 26 2013, I went out with the Chief Pilot who gave me my pre-solo checkout. After we landed, I refueled and waited for my CFI to arrive at the airport. Shortly after so, we both hopped in the airplane and took off for (2A0) about 12 miles north from my home base. He briefed me along the way and once on the ground, I taxied up to the FBO and my CFI hopped out with his handheld transceiver and waited for me to complete three takeoffs and landings.

I remember like it was yesterday!

3BA4E249-B96D-41B6-A026-710338BEBADB.jpeg

I soloed on March 7, 1964 at KSMX, a short flight from Vandenberg AFB where I was a 21 year old enlisted airman and aero club student pilot. My CFI was a C-130 command pilot who didn't think much of the shirt tail tradition, but took me out for a debrief at a local pub in Lompoc after the flight and treated me to a couple of beers.

Soloed on 9/23/80. Instructor didn't tell me it was coming, and I wasn't wearing a t-shirt, so I never got one cut.

Oh alright here's the real one. Surprised I could find it. I like the one my son and I did more though. I was his CFI.

Those two old C-150s were still there in 1984, when I showed up in Korea. One of them had been landed in a field after fuel starvation and had a dinged wing.

They were both disassembled and stacked in the hangar at Osan. I could have bought both of them for $3,000 if I paid for the shipping back to the world...

I chickened out and still regret it. That would have been a headache, but a lot of fun!

Back