Solo requirements for commercial

ujocka

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ujocka
As I continue my progress towards the commericial-ASEL and check the boxes for requirements I'm confused about the solo requirements. I have plenty of flights (in excess of 10) in the past at night where I was the only person in the plane and landed at a towered airport, but these were logged as PIC.

For flights in which I am the only occupant, can I log both solo and PIC for the same flight, or one or the other? If I can't log both at the same time, should the remarks state it was solo while logging it as PIC.

There is obviously a reason for the solo night flights, but I have no idea what the reasons are. I can understand practicing stalls and other maneuvers in the day solo, but what's the difference between night flight with pax and without?

For flights in which I am the only occupant, can I log both solo and PIC for the same flight, or one or the other? If I can't log both at the same time, should the remarks state it was solo while logging it as PIC.

There is obviously a reason for the solo night flights, but I have no idea what the reasons are. I can understand practicing stalls and other maneuvers in the day solo, but what's the difference between night flight with pax and without?
Huh? If you are flying solo you are PIC. You log it as both solo and PIC time. The solo requirements can also be while performing the duties of PIC with an authorized instructor on board.

The last time I used the solo column was in 1997, prior to it being counted as PIC. Sure would have been great if any of the 10+ instructors I have flown with over the years had explained the value in continuing to use it conjunction with the PIC column.

If you're the only occupant in the airplane it is solo time. Any solo time should also be PIC time. Someone has to be the PIC and if you are the only occupant its you.

If you are pilot in command it is PIC time.

Solo time before the private pilot checkride is PIC time.

Why was solo time not counted as PIC in 1997?

Last edited:
If you're the only human in the airplane it is solo time.
Correct.

If you are pilot in command it is PIC time.
Not necessarily correct. There are several circumstances in which the PIC cannot log PIC time, such as two rated pilots flying together in a one-pilot plane, and the PIC is letting the other rated pilot do the flying, and there's neither training nor a vision-restricting device involved.

Solo time before the private pilot checkride is PIC time.
Correct under the current rules.

Why was solo time not counted as PIC in 1997?
Because when I was young and dinosaurs ruled the earth, you were not permitted to log PIC time as a Student Pilot even if you were acting as PIC while solo. Why was that the rule? :dunno: But that was the rule back then. Your first PIC time was when you passed the PP practical test. The current rules allow you to count that ancient solo time not originally logged as PIC time towards current PIC time requirements, but for anyone who started flying after 8/4/97, it's not an issue (unless they're an instructor or DPE looking at some old-timer's logbook).

Last edited:
Thanks Levy. I was unaware of the PIC/SOLO reg change in 1997.

I thought maybe he was referring to not logging PIC while on solo flights as a pre-private student pilot.

Last edited:
Correct.

Correct under the current rules.

Because when I was young and dinosaurs ruled the earth, you were not permitted to log PIC time as a Student Pilot even if you were acting as PIC while solo. Why was that the rule? :dunno: But that was the rule back then. Your first PIC time was when you passed the PP practical test. The current rules allow you to count that ancient solo time not originally logged as PIC time towards current PIC time requirements, but for anyone who started flying after 8/4/97, it's not an issue (unless they're an instructor or DPE looking at some old-timer's logbook).

I don't think I realized that had changed. I remember as we were walking back from my PP check ride, the DPE told me that I could log that flight as PIC. That was how I knew I passed.

Did Ron just call me an old-timer? Never thought Id reach the point when I'd be proud to be called such. I'm only 41 but I'll take the compliment.

But more to the point, ujocka, as to your understanding of the requirement for SOLO.
Back in the dinosaur days, solo time was required to demonstrate competency.
A passenger, even a non-pilot, can give much assistance; so it is a great training requirement to be able to conduct flight with absolutely no help.

As I continue my progress towards the commericial-ASEL and check the boxes for requirements I'm confused about the solo requirements. I have plenty of flights (in excess of 10) in the past at night where I was the only person in the plane and landed at a towered airport, but these were logged as PIC.

If you are solo, you are automatically PIC, so yes, you can Log as both because you are both.

Back