Solar Impulse

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
tumblr_inline_o76r9b8Xsr1tfbwvh_500.jpg

We just had the opportunity to see the Solar Impulse airplane. It landed a few days ago in Tulsa to avoid the weather we are having today. They plan to leave on Thursday for New York and to complete their around-the-world flight with no fuel.
Things I learned:
They have 2 pilots and a third available if needed. There is only one pilot in the cockpit, so the plane is only flown solo -- pilots alternate flight legs. The plane flies at a max indicated speed of 49 knots, which makes the transoceanic flights about four days long. Altitude limit is 27,000 ft. and there is no oxygen. Pilots are trained to take 12 20-minute naps while the autopilot flies the plane and monitors flight characteristics. If the autopilot needs the pilot to wake up, it vibrates his arm. The body of the airplane appears to be about the shape of the local air-evac helicopter, but a little shorter. In total, it weighs about 5000 lb. Even though it is chilly today, there were air conditioners attached to the engines and we were told it was to cool the batteries. There are skids at the ends of the wing tips for landing and four ailerons on each wing (I don't know why). The wing in the hangar is propped up in the middle, so that people could walk under it -- don't know if it normally drags on the ground like gliders do. The wingspan is enormous -- 14 lights along the leading edge -- and even though the American Airlines jumbo-jet hangar it is in is huge, they had the plane in there at an angle. A video I saw showed it being pulled into the hangar sideways by a crew using web lines. Ground crew of 50 is following in its own plane. Among them are two (count them) chefs who brought their own food and kitchen.

I'm not sure why but this aviation "historical accomplishment" interests me far less than any other in aviation history.

My son and DIL watched it land at Goodyear AZ on its previous leg a week or two ago. The landing was after dark for lighter surface winds. They Face-Timed the images to us; all lit up it was very impressive. They got tickets to get into the temporary hangar to see it up close.

They have oxygen. It is just not pressurized.

I went and saw it when it was here in Phoenix, but I agree about the interest level.

I think it would also be the first electric plane to circumnavigate, wouldn't it?

I was considering going out to get some air to air shots when it came through Phoenix.

Assuming VFR, I wonder how close you could get without ****ing them off?

I asked a guy in the hangar if anyone (GA) had flown up to meet them in the air. He said "oh no, they'd get in trouble with ATC".

If you kept 1 mi horiz or 1000 ft vertical separation, I don't think you'd "get in trouble"...?

Not sure what they'd charge you with. "Formation flight without prior arrangement"?

At what distance is it considered "formation"?

I'm not sure why but this aviation "historical accomplishment" interests me far less than any other in aviation history.

I can agree with it. It's not that it isn't an accomplishment in its specific area, but I guess I just never thought "that can't be done". Sure, we had the tech/knowledge to accomplish the feat, but why bother? It's not without merit, but certainly not something that amazes me.

Thanks for posting that, Aunt Peggy. I think it is pretty cool. Electric airplanes have to start somewhere. Fifty years from now, who knows.

Thanks for posting that, Aunt Peggy. I think it is pretty cool. Electric airplanes have to start somewhere. Fifty years from now, who knows.
I took my six-year-old grandson and told him that he was seeing a history-making plane. And when he tells his grandson about seeing it, he'll be so bored with the idea of a solar aircraft his grandson will go, "Whatever." I hope so.

Thanks, AuntPeggy. Count me in the camp of people who do see this as history in the making.

I took my six-year-old grandson and told him that he was seeing a history-making plane. And when he tells his grandson about seeing it, he'll be so bored with the idea of a solar aircraft his grandson will go, "Whatever." I hope so.
I hope so too. Success will be realized when it seems routine.

Might be something like trying to form up on the Goodyear blimp. Top speed is about 80 knots, and they slow down to about 40 after dark to conserve power.

I was assuming I would just fly as slow as practical. Maybe do some 360s... Not talking about "formation" just getting as close as a mile or so.

Maybe because using 1920's technology, the same accomplishment took less than six months, and using modern technology it's been done in less than three days. Doing it in a year+ merely demonstrates how primitive this technology is. Fossett even did it in a balloon in just a couple weeks.

Maybe because using 1920's technology, the same accomplishment took less than six months, and using modern technology it's been done in less than three days. Doing it in a year+ merely demonstrates how primitive this technology is. Fossett even did it in a balloon in just a couple weeks.

This is a technical demonstration. It's demonstrating the technology isn't there yet for this to be prime time. If you know about solar cells and batteries, then you know the issues must be solved by advancing the technology. But they have no idea how yet.

I'm a fan of solar and electric flight. I've studied it and worked out the numbers on it. We're not there. We don't know when we will be there. We don't know how we will get there.

At best, this is a sentence in the development of electric flight and a minor milestone. When an electric airplane can match the performance of at least the average light sport aircraft then I will start to get excited.

So some folks find the effort unimpressive because it fails to meet their exaggerated expectations. :rolleyes:

Considering the logistics of making the flight, such as chasing it around with jet transports for maintenance and crew transfer, it suddenly doesn't seem that 'green' anymore.

I get it, it's a demonstration. I suspect that the technology will be more suited for crewless flight though, when it matures.

So some folks find the effort unimpressive because it fails to meet their exaggerated expectations. :rolleyes:
My expectations for solar electric flight are that it's a pipe dream based on current technology. This effort has met those expectations. And I don't find that impressive.

Would probably have more practical value unmanned and non-stop.

I was talking about the expectations it would have to meet in order for the naysayers to consider it worthwhile.

By the way, I agree that solar is unlikely to ever be a significant power source for manned airplanes. However, in the history of science and technology, there has been lots of research whose practical applications have not been obvious in advance, yet later turned out to be very valuable.

Last edited:
I would separate the 'solar' part from 'electric' flight. Fuel cell technology may develop enough in the near future to make electric powered flight very doable. Solar power is simply not realistic for a long time to come.

I find it unimpressive because they fail to rise to even modest expectations.

It could be you find it " unimpressive" because your not hip. I'm sure people like elon musk are excited and are working on this. My grandmother , many years ago had an electric car with flower vases in it! This was long before I was born and when people laughed at the concept. They don't laugh much at elon or find him " unimpressive".

It's a voyage of discovery. I wonder whether you are impressed by the very first around the world flight? Do you know who accomplished that feat and how long it took, hop-skipping from Alaska to Japan to avoid a mid-Pacific crossing, using 4 aircraft to increase the odds of success, and making major repairs along the way, and with a huge budget?

As a quality and testing expert, I'm aware that every problem successfully overcome is one more advance in knowledge and ability. Yes, the Solar Impulse is 9 months behind schedule. In fixing their problems, they have advanced our abilities.

Your enthusiasm is spirit lifting, I commend you for that. True, not every advancement comes in leaps and bounds. This project is not without merit.

S7300749.JPG S7300753.JPG
... And when it doesn't need an Il-76 and throngs of support personnel going along every time it flies ...

And who was that Vladimer guy anyway?

Last edited:
Your enthusiasm is spirit lifting, I commend you for that. True, not every advancement comes in leaps and bounds. This project is not without merit.

Agreed. I'm not amazed by anything they've done, but that doesn't mean it hasn't provided useful data to support future breakthroughs. To me it's kind of like pursuing a Guinness World Record, most people aren't in awe of the longest continuous time riding a stationary bicycle, but it can often provide the basis for science to push the envelope a little further.

Moderately interesting, but solar cells and electric motors have been around a while. Ditto electric airplanes. Glance at it, move on, gotta agree with the fuel cell comment.

Back