Solar Generator - Pireps?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Mtns2Skies, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Final Approach

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    Does anyone have experience with small "solar generators"? I'm thinking about getting one for OSH so I can power my laptop to get some work done and save some of my vacation days. The brand Jackery seems to have taken over the industry, displacing Goal Zero and a few others but was looking for some pireps on the proper sizing and if these are worth it or not. I was thinking about a 60W solar panel mixed with their 240 Watt/Hour Model.

Screenshot 2022-07-08 6.55.54 AM.png

2. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    I generally prefer components to integrated solutions. I already have a deep cycle and an inverter that I can reuse, so I've been looking at panels & charge controllers. This caught my eye a while back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JVBVL3

That said, the Jackery has a lithium battery, so it's probably a pretty good all-in-one to get started with. What happens when the battery ages out? Do you toss the whole thing? :(

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  3. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    4-5 years ago I brought a little cheap Amazon foldable solar panel that I had hopped to use to charge my battery pack during the day so I could charge my phone at night. Obviously something went wrong because it fried a brand new battery pack and it's self. I suspect it's because there was no charge controller built in. Otherwise I have no experience with solar so I am of no help.

4. Llewtrah381

Llewtrah381 Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Llewtrah
    We’ve been using a PortaWattz 12v jump-starter for over a decade with good results. At first we had one of these 7w solar panels: https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200832935_200832935

We ultimately got a second one and basically just plug both into one of those 12v cigarette plug doublers. 14w has been more than enough to recharge the battery after charging phones, running small fans in the tent, etc. Even one panel was enough, really.

The integrated ones would work fine but, sadly, there’s some level of theft at OSH and it may be more tempting than my low-brow setup.

5. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display name:
    stewartb
    Buy a 1000w inverter type generator. Honda and Yamaha lead the pack. Small. Light. Quiet. Sips gas. And they work in the dark.

JOhnH likes this.
  6. idahoflier

idahoflier Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    idahoflier
    I rolled my own solar solution a few years ago for my last OSH trip. Flexible 100W solar panel, charge controller and 18Ah SLA battery. All in < $200. I needed this for my CPAP and did charge mobile devices. It was cheap and light. It worked. But if it had been cloudy, IDK? FWIW, if (hopefully when) I make another OSH trek I would instead purchase a small generator like @stewart mentioned. It's a little bulkier and heavier, but you have so many more options. The little Harbor Freight model looks hard to pass up and can be had for ~ $400.00...

7. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display name:
    asicer
    How many days are you going to be there and how much energy do you think you'll need? Maybe you can just bring some topped off storage and forgo the solar portion. Or downsize the panels and only use them if you miscalculated.

8. rwellner98

rwellner98 Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    rw2
    I will never buy anything that bills themselves as a "solar generator".

Anker is a new arrival to the market and they generally make excellent gear. So maybe look at their solutions.

9. Mtns2Skies

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    That's the industry term these days....

Steve Costello likes this.
  10. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    Kind of bulky and heavy, but my old removed-from-service Concorde lasts a LONG time in charging service, and it’s paid-for.

Darryl Snover likes this.
  11. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display name:
    stewartb
    To the carry-with solar panel thing? I have a Goal Zero panel. Never used it, but the way the other products from Goal Zero have worked? I’m confident it’s top shelf gear. Maybe just take a solar panel to charge and feed off the airplane battery. Laptops don’t consume much power. Beware of your inverter. Some are energy pigs.

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  12. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
  13. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    I would really stay away from those that bill themselves as lunar generator....

rwellner98 and Dave Theisen like this.
  14. N4984R

N4984R Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    N4984R
    [​IMG]

Got the Bluetti EB70S with a 200w Solar panel array. 37.5 lbs for the whole system. Going to be giving this a test run at Boy Scout camp this week. Seeing if it will keep up with an Engle 40qt 12 volt cooler/fridge while we are there. When i set it up in this picture it was late in the day 6pm or so. It was pushing 163watts charge to the power station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    kaiser likes this.
  15. Mtns2Skies

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    It's "Prime day" on amazon so there are some really, really good deals on Jackery products. I went ahead and snagged the 240 + the 60W solar panel. We'll see how it works at OSH.

16. Skip Miller

Skip Miller Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Don’t leave it out in the traditional Oshkosh afternoon monsoon!

-Skip

17. GaryM

GaryM Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Gary M
    This one works pretty well, but it's not for sale.

ts-space-sun-and-solar-viewing-facts-versus-fiction.jpg

Ghery, Ted, Zeldman and 1 other person like this.
  18. jsstevens

jsstevens Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Hard to pack as well.

Ghery likes this.
  19. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    I bought the Jackery 300. I guess we’ll get a good comparison between the different models

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  20. Mtns2Skies

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    Mine came already. Solar panel is a couple days out. It's a pretty cool little unit!

21. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    It could be for sale. How much would you pay to take it home today.??

22. cowtowner

cowtowner Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Cowtowner
    I've got one of these

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/riv...MI2Iv5zLf2-AIVVBXUAR0l_QjAEAQYAiABEgLiBPD_BwE

I use a 60w flexible solar panel similar to this one

https://www.invertersupply.com/inde...MIsoPA77f2-AIVeG5vBB2LNgjCEAQYBSABEgIsdPD_BwE

The Lithium battery pack has a BMS that has a built in charge controller.

I leave the flexible panel laying flat, or tied to my tent. It will recharge it before 2pm in the summer.

I can charge my laptop, all my small battery packs, my cell, and power a 12v fan while I sleep. It will take it down to about 35% by morning.

23. baboss

baboss Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Brock Boss
    I normally take the Honda 2000 Generator to Oshkosh but I picked up an Ecoflow River Pro w/ solar panel on sale this week. Should be here tomorrow/Friday so looking forward to playing with it & seeing if I'll take it in place of the Honda this year. If so I pick up 20+lbs of useful load which gives me more gas for the unknowns on the Fisk arrival!

24. N4984R

N4984R Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    N4984R
    I made it through the entire week at Scout camp without running out of power. The camp is in the Hoosier National Forest, and our site was surrounded by 100’ tall trees. At the end of each day the Bluetti was back up to 80-100%. I don’t think there will be any problem having plenty of power at Oshkosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    Nice real-world test. Thanks!

26. Mtns2Skies

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    This combo worked perfectly at OSH. I used the generator to charge phones at night and during the day while I was working remotely the solar panel was able to charge the Jackery battery while I was charging & using my big engineering laptop. Very impressed with the set-up and I will happily be using it on future camping trips! It's pretty light too.

Steve Costello and Zeldman like this.
  27. Jim K

Jim K En-Route

Display name:
    Insert cool name here
    Taking another look at these things, I see that Anker uses lithium-iron cells, which as I understand it are heavier, but also safer and capable of more cycles. Looks like Bluetti does as well, but their smallest unit seems like overkill for my needs. One nice feature of the Bluetti units is that they have a bigger inverter so their AC outlets are capable of much higher output.

rwellner98 and Steve Costello like this.
  28. rwellner98

rwellner98 Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    rw2
    Yeah, I have a Honda that I'm not really looking to replace, but if I were in the market for a battery system that lithium-iron chemistry looks very appealing.

29. ChopAndDrop

ChopAndDrop Pre-Flight

Display name:
    ChopAndDrop
    yeah, the LiFePO4 battery chemistry (also called LFP) is great. The capacity of Lithium (mostly) without the fire risk, more tolerant to different charging methods, etc.

we use them to power the electronics in our gliders. A single LFP battery replaces two sealed lead-acid bricks, can now be a single LiFePO4 and run the radio/vario all day on a long flights.