Solar Eclipse

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Did anyone see the solar eclipse tonight?

I tried to take a picture through a welding helmet, but it did not work. :mad:

Remember back in the day when they would let schools out for a solar eclipse? We would build these boxes that would capture the image without burning your eyes out? Today? Now even barley a message about the wonders of our solar system. :rolleyes2:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/tech/innovation/partial-solar-eclipse/index.html

Last edited:
Too cloudy here in North Alabama.

I remember making these pin-hole cameras to see solar eclipse. Now you just watch it on the internet, I guess.

Too cloudy here in North Alabama.

I remember making these pin-hole cameras to see solar eclipse. Now you just watch it on the internet, I guess.

We would stop school, parents would take the kids out to the country to get the best view. Pretty amazing by today's standards. :rolleyes2:

My boys' after school program took them outside this afternoon with pinhole cameras made from cardboard. I did the same thing with them a couple years ago last time one was visible here.

I watched it
Also tried to take photos.

No dice.

I was listening to NPR and they said "The moons shadow will be blocking out a portion of the sun"

SMH

My kids and I watched it with a welding helmet before it went behind clouds. Another thing I found interesting was the HUGE sunspot.

40 or so inches of wanna be snow here in the NE. Solid overcast for two days now. And according to the news, it would have been to low in the sky for good viewing anywhere near me.
Certainly glad it wasn't cold enough for the flaky stuff!

Missed it. In the past on partials you can use a pinhole or even just your hand (all you have to do is cast a shadow with a very tiny ray of light.

I managed to see a total back when I was a kid. We drove down to a place where we'd be in totality. We had a mini scientific group, one guy with a time lapse camera, a telescope with a sun filter, someone taking light and temperature readings, and my friend with a device to measure shadow bands. I was the time keeper having brought a shortwave radio I could get the time standard (oddly, not WWV, but the Canadian CHU). Watching the sun directly at totality was one of those once in a lifetime things.

We were under the path of totality back in 1994. I brought a couple of sun filters to work and guys from the shop had welding helmets we passed around. The interesting thing about it was the temperature drop when it happened.

We were under the path of totality back in 1994. I brought a couple of sun filters to work and guys from the shop had welding helmets we passed around. The interesting thing about it was the temperature drop when it happened.

It is amazing to me that people forget about the sun's energy and power. If the sun farts we are nothing but a flaming marshmallow hurtling through space. MMGW? :rofl: Try the sun having a bad day and I'll show you global warming.

Close, but there was no path of totality for that one because it was annular. We were definitely in the path of annularity though. There was a temperature drop and it was quite a sight. I saw it at work back in Detroit, from the roof of the building. We had dozens of people up there. The next time we had an event that big was two years ago for the transit of Venus.

This one would not have been easy to see from here even if it had been clear. The nor'easter made it pretty well impossible. I wouldn't have flown to see a partial, but with the tops well above the freezing level, even that option was closed.

Yep, it was really interesting

We only had a #13 welding mask from the MX shop, so we use a sheet of paper to look at it through the welding glass.

Some of the guys said the mask was fine with their sunglasses on.

Pretty good view from here in Oklahoma. Started around 4:40, peak was about 5:48. I set up a pair of binoculars used to project the image onto a piece of cardboard a foot or so away. Worked great, could easily see the sunspots. Yeah, don't look through the binoculars! Use the shadow to align it.

This pic is at about 5:23.

Attachments

• 1016450_728613793853132_3879514888773557658_n.jpg
    1016450_728613793853132_3879514888773557658_n.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 7
I missed it. I heard about it after I got home. Was pretty clear here to see it, too. :(

I remember in 8th grade going outside and using pinholes in cardboard to see the shadow on a piece of paper.

Many years ago I saw a partial solar eclipse, maybe 70% where I was. I went outside and did the hole in the cardboard trick, and was able to project a good image onto the sidewalk. Then I noticed something really cool. There was a tree nearby, casting a shadow on the sidewalk next to me. Many of the spots of light that filtered through the leaves left a small eclipse image on the ground.

The weather man talked about it yesterday morning...but said that it was going to be cloudy here...it was.

I forgot about it, was outside late afternoon building a RR tie retaining wall, and noticed about 5pm that the light on my DeWalt 18v drill was definitely "lighting up" the work being done.

"WTF?" I thought to myself...why is it this dark at 5pm?

Then the photos started showing up last night on the internet.

ahhhhhhh....

:redface:

Back