Solar eclips - aka: the end as we know it...

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Jeff Cutler, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Hank S

Hank S En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Hank
    "Totality" or like "totally" dude . . . . . :cornut:

2. hotprops

hotprops Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    hotprops
    I must wonder how many Eclipse owners are going aloft to see the eclipse?:eek:

Todd82 likes this.
  3. sourdough44

sourdough44 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    Maybe one can refresh the 'night currency' during the eclipse? Save the adult beverages until later.

4. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Na, the sun will still be above the horizon, can't even count it as civil twilight currency....

5. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Go early. CDOT says I-25 northbound usually handles 86,000 cars a day. They're expecting 600,000 vehicles headed up into Wyoming. They think the I-25 corridor will see something near 400,000.

We both know those numbers won't work. :)

6. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    I won't be in the I 25 cooridor. I've driven it too many times. Wadworth north, ft Collins, laramie, Rawlins, Casper. Easy-peasy

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    denverpilot likes this.
  7. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Weather permitting (I'm not instrument current) we'll launch from OLM in the morning and fly down to the vicinity of Madras. Watch the eclipse from the air and depart the area. The FBO at Madras got $200 for landing, watching the eclipse and departing. No thanks, glad they sold out. I'll get gas somewhere else after we leave the area.

8. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    You don't think they're overestimating the number of people that will give enough of a crap to relocate to see it. I suspect many living in the path won't get off the couch to walk outside.

X3 Skier and Todd82 like this.
  9. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Probably not. Their estimate is only 0.5% of the humans living in just the Front Range, let alone anyone traveling into Colorado from the south, headed north, who wants to be in the path of the totality.

There's other ways to get through CO up into WY, but I-25 is the only north-south Interstate highway from the east side of the Rockies until you get to the other side of Kansas. West of here the next one is through Salt Lake... this isn't the east coast. Clark's route he mentioned is not the obvious route for most folks.

I suspect their estimate is low. A small percentage of every State south of us, from the desert southwest north? That's a lot of people.

Highway is built for (and regularly jammed at) 80,000 per day north of Denver, according to CDOT. 0.5% of the Front Range's population planning to go see it, doesn't seem like an out of whack estimate at all.

10. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    While I don't live in the path, I think that as I sit on the couch I might lift my arm enough to operate the remote to catch the eclipse on the evening news....

exncsurfer likes this.
  11. iamtheari

iamtheari Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    I'm not sure I follow your math. The total population of Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado comes up to 14.5 million people. Even if all 600,000 cars on I-25 were single-occupant, that's 4% of the total population. Front range is supposedly 70% of Colorado population, call it 3.9 million people, of which 600,000 comes to a little over 15%. If those cars average 2.5 people per car, you're talking almost 39% of the front range population. I don't think that's an unreasonably high estimate, but it's not 0.5%.

As far as seeing the eclipse, all my dreams are getting crushed here. I was going to fly to Casper, watch the world get dark, then continue to Cheyenne for Joe Bonamassa's concert that night. But Casper apparently won't allow me to land. Then I was thinking about flying to maybe Rapid City and renting a car to get to Alliance, but if the Alliance airport is already full I am sure the roads won't fare much better and I'd want to drive in a few days ahead of time.

I don't have any television broadcast channels, so I guess I'll just watch the eclipse on YouTube. May as well just check out a previous eclipse and save myself the waiting. :)

12. F01LA

F01LA Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    This might be a good place for you or anyone else to check out. Right near the center of totality, off most peoples' radar from what I can tell, and looks like plenty of parking (Harvard, Nebraska, former military field).

http://www.airnav.com/airport/08K

13. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    Fly to Laramie, rent a car. Plenty of hotel space and can still make the concert. Or fly to Rock Springs, or fly to Rawlins. Okay, car rental in Rawlins is a little tougher but there is a used car dealer who will rent cars. If you do go to Rawlins use my rule that you don't leave Rawlins without a full tank of gas. I understand that Coyotes need food too but that is no reason to violate my rule.

14. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Sorry to hear you really want to see it and the prospects are low. I see lots of folks saying they're going to take a couple of pilots (hopefully one who's less interested than the other!) and just circle in the area while everyone else gawks out the window.

I'd offer to play the role of mildly disinterested pilot in my airplane but my co-owner has plans to go and solid enough lodging plans that the airplane won't be here.

Maybe hunt for a pilot to play PIC in your airplane who is a lot less interested in solar eclipses than you and also has a pretty good traffic scan? ;)

15. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Oh BTW @iamtheari - I forgot to add, yes. I dicked up the math. LOL.

Still. A boatload of people planning to be on that highway and it isn't built for that.

I'll probably be home peeking in on the traffic cams to see if there's either one big traffic jam, or if the dire predictions were real. Either way, that's the fun part for me.

Don't much care about the sun being blocked by stuff. Orbits do that. :) Definitely not interested in the mass exodus and return.

16. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    Ahh take nap after eclipse then drive home at leisure. Map study last night revealed a route that avoids Rawlins and it involves several roads I haven't traveled before so will use it. Sure you don't want to go along or give the Dodge a backroads mission?

17. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Check out the lesser known airports not on the exact line but within 70 nm, which will experience the totality. There's Torrington (KTOR), Phifer (KEAN), Converse (KDGW) Lusk (KLSK) - give 'em a call.

18. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    I'm wondering if someone will try to sell $100 hamburgers.

Anyone flying out to get this view?

[​IMG]

19. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    65 and 95 dollar parking places on Casper mountain. I imagine the hamburgers will be 20

denverpilot likes this.
  20. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Nope. Appreciate the offer but definitely not interested. If you need the truck to run over stalled cars, that could be arranged. :)

Hopefully lots. :)

But you've now given me another type of funny news article to watch for. Warnings that food and supplies may be in short supply in rural viewing areas and people grousing about how "unfair" it was to them and their ten spawn packed in the family truckster having to pay $300 to feed the goslings because the restaurants were "price gouging" and the shelves at the local grocer were bare.

A guy with a grill on a trailer and his buddy with a herd of cattle and a butcher with one heck of a big meat grinder, parked in the right place, could make a whole lot of cash in a weekend! :)

Probably way more than enough to cover the municipal fines for not having a food truck license in Wyoming. ;)

Hey Clark, if you need the truck to load a big grill into, with a trailer full of beef behind it, we could work out a price on that, too. :)

21. iamtheari

iamtheari Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    Are you saying that, for you, the nightly total eclipse when the Earth gets in the way of the sun is all the same as the kind where the Moon does the job? Maybe I should get on board with that and stay home without regrets! :)

Or I can fly to Denver and pick you up and we can just take pictures of the traffic. The Rockies don't get enough hurricanes for that kind of mass exodus to happen every year like it does in Florida. I think the best part will be when they all turn around and try to get back into or through Denver. Your later post predicting economically-misinformed complaints of price gouging makes me wonder how many will take the tollway and how many will just suffer on through the city.

denverpilot likes this.
  22. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    The tollway collapsed into uselessness when the airshow came to town at Aurora Reservoir. Technically it was because the planners didn't make Quincy a one-way to get everyone in, so it backed up into the toll road, but stopped traffic and 75 MPH traffic didn't mix well apparently.

Didn't take much.

Not that anyone in the know uses the toll road anyway. Just take Aurora Parkway right alongside of it at 55 MPH past the city dump. Free. ;)

23. OkieFlyer

OkieFlyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew L.
    Don't worry, we'll just fire up an idle power plant, and I'll send it some more nat. gas. We have a couple billion cubic feet sitting in underground caverns if we need it.

24. Dav8or

Dav8or En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave
    Sadly, once again GA has failed to elevate me beyond the capabilities of the average terrestrial bound citizen. :( I had hoped to go there and land long enough to do the viewing. Likely it will be closed I guess. Folks with low and slow planes could go find a road, or field or something to land on for 10 minutes or so I suppose...

25. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Looking for the fine print that says, "Not to scale."

denverpilot and Skyrys62 like this.
  26. Melting

Melting Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Melting
    Just because a flying saucer coincidentally blocks out the sun that day will not prove your crazy idea thet the earth is round and eclipses are real.
    Sincerely
    The Flat Earth Society
    PS aliens are real!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
  28. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    ISS might have a nice view:

[​IMG]

29. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skyrys62
    On that one side of the moon looks like any ol' crater will do for totality.

30. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    We decided to do Fireball shots during max eclipse.

denverpilot likes this.
  31. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Seems legit.

32. Anymouse

Anymouse Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    Y'all have fun out there!!

33. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    Is that bogus(and/or a joke)?, I see:
    FDC 7/9994 Download shapefiles
    Issue Date : August 14, 2017 at 0620 UTC
    Beginning Date and Time : August 14, 2017 at 1300 UTC
    Ending Date and Time : October 13, 2017 at 0300 UTC
    Reason for NOTAM : TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR FIRE FIGHTING AVIATION ACTIVITY
    Type : Hazards
    Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A