Socata TB-9 for training but 6'6" tall...

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Hello, I am still dreaming of ownership but 172s seem so expensive and are a bit tight in the shoulders. Socatas would solve the width issue, not sure about height. Any opinion? The ones for sale are 5+ hours away. Thank you, tall guy @KPGV

The only way for you to know for sure would be to sit in one a fly it.

I'd be concerned about it being a from a pool of very limited number of aircraft that were built, parts availability issue, and the very low cruise speed.

The only way for you to know for sure would be to sit in one a fly it.

I'd be concerned about it being a from a pool of very limited number of aircraft that were built, parts availability issue, and the very low cruise speed.

You are right, but I can take advantage of the magic of the internets before driving so far away...
concern over parts, is that based upon fact or experience with Socata?
I'm aware of the speed, I am aiming for a VFR/IFR training plane for myself and a potential partner before moving on to the last plane. 200 hours of time building desired.

No experience with Socata -just an overall observation on low volume products.

If just want time building - try a 152? A lot less than a 172. Lots of a parts, mechanics know how to work on, etc. Again - you’d have to try one on for size.

Well, compared to a 172 the cruise speed is not going to be an issue. There was a guy on YouTube flying a TBM piston plane and said he never had any issues with parts and that support was always really good.. but who knows

try a 152
He's 6'6".. so that may be a non starter. They're also getting harder to rent I find. Granted, if he's buying?

What about a Sundowner? Slow as hell but cheap and very comfortable inside, they're HUGE! https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/aircraft-fact-sheets/beechcraft-sundowner

here you go, $40K https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...DOWNER+180&listing_id=2388241&s-type=aircraft AND IT'S EVEN IN NORTH CAROLINA!

Get your PPL on that, then move up to something that you can fomfortable fit in, Lance, 210, Cirrus, whatever.. and do your IR on that and have that be *your* plane

Also look at the Socata TB-10 for more power and performance. Wonderful plane to fly. The much improved ergonomics are a delight for comfort over the older Cessnas.

Join the Socata user forum and ask them about the TB-9/10. https://socata.org/ Good type group to help with pilot figment questions and other type support questions. The later models have increased headroom.

Socata still makes parts for the Tobago/Trinidad.

Amazing visibility.

Last edited:
C-182? May be all the plane you need.

C-182? May be all the plane you need.

That entered my mind, but if he thought the 172 is expensive, grit hard when you look at the 182 prices.

Maybe best to get a plane for your ppl and IR, and then sell. By then, you'll know better what you like and can pick a "last plane" a bit better. TBH - I always thought it was cheaper to just rent during training vs buying a plane to use in training.

I'm 6'1" and wear Zulu Lightspeed headsets. I don't really recline my seat. Every once in a while I'll peg the top of the headsets on the ceiling when it gets rough. The ceiling is lower than I would like, but it has not been an issue for me. Some of the taller Socata pilots deal with it in a couple ways. Some modify the seat so the pad sits lower. Some recline the seat. Some do both. Join www.Socata.org and search over there. Taller pilots than me fly these things. It has been discussed several times over there.
Also, Gen 2 aircraft have more headroom. Anything Socata with GT at the back of the model number has more headroom.
BTW, see if you can sit in ANY TB aircraft. They all have the same cabin dimensions until you get into Gen 2 (GT), then all of the GT cabin dimensions are the same.
Look around, there is surely a TB-20 near you.

The SOCATA pistons are big, comfortable planes. You should have any issue fitting.

I bought a Commander but my second choice was a TB-20/21. Nice planes to fly.

Back